X1/9

It Started Like This...

This is my first attempt to put some photos on the forum... Hope it works :rolleyes:

I drop in here often to see what everyone is up to and always find it's a great place for hints and info. I've been working on my track for quite a while now.. not a huge amount of progress because my time is limited. I'm keen to get started on scenery but every time I go out to make a start I just start doing laps. :o

So it began like this...

124_2447.jpg

and then this...

124_2461.jpg

and it now looks like this...

011.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the layout as it seems to flow pretty well. Nice and fast with a few tricky bits.

Looking really good. Good space to use. Was wondering if you could enlighten us with some more pictures of your winch mechanism and what sort of weight you are expecting to be raising!

Thanks for the comment. Very observant to pick up on the "bits of blue string" heading for the ceiling. I'm using a 12 volt 4WD winch to pull a steel draw bar that has 8 lines attached to it. Each line runs via a small pulley down to the table. The whole thing weighs about 250kg so each attaching point has had the ceiling/rafters reinforced above it. I spent the first few weeks of building my track in the ceiling!

Here you can see the winch and the draw bar..

001.jpg

and this is it up in the air. (note the safety chains - don't want to do a Sax!)

124_2473.jpg

Oh almost forgot. The "bits of blue string" are a yachting rope with some ridiculous breaking strain. I went to a local yacht supplies place to talk about getting some steel cables made up and he talked me out of it as this stuff is better! Not so many fittings needed - just good knots.

Wow! Looking good. I really should have thought about doing something like this with mine.

I would do it just for the 'first timers' - hey guys, check this *hit button* and down she comes, to gasps of amazement. (maybe add some water and dry ice for a nice smoke effect!)

Edited by trotty88

Great to see the track on the forum, (much better racing on it), couple of quick questions.

Exactly how often has that highly engineered winching system been used (I've only seen the table in the down position) and by the looks of that blue car in the photo (X1/9 sporty thingie) couldn't you park it under the table when its down? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

Like the track. Only question I have, and it's not exactly track related, but....

Where did you get the grippy clawie thinggy and how much was it? Need one and can't find one without raiding the physio dept at the local hospital, EXPENSIVE.

Cheers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Ember,

I have got some from Bunnings for arond $6, not exactly the same as in the photo but do a good job.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil. Only slight problem with that. Don't have Bunnings near by. :rolleyes: Have tried local small hardware store without much success. Will have to get the major chain affiliate checked out on Monday.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

do it just for the 'first timers' - hey guys, check this *hit button* and down she comes, to gasps of amazement. (maybe add some water and dry ice for a nice smoke effect!)

Yeah I like the smoke effect. The Wow Factor was something I thought about a lot during construction. But then the Fear Factor kicks in and you start to think just what would happen if the whole thing collapsed in a thundering heap while you're standing there at the front of your amazed friends with the winch remote cradled across your chest like James Bond holding a smoking gun. I've opted to put it up or down when nobody else is around - besides, the winch screams like a banshee when you use it.

Apart from all that, Phil (Billy Cart) makes a very good point. The table has been down since 9 Feb, the X1/9 has sat in the front yard since then, there is a water tank to be installed in the back yard that can't get in until the table goes up...... it comes down to priorities!

Good thing the wife is a patient creature.

Like the track. Only question I have, and it's not exactly track related, but....

Where did you get the grippy clawie thinggy and how much was it? Need one and can't find one without raiding the physio dept at the local hospital, EXPENSIVE.

Cheers

Embs

Emb,

Phil's "Bunnings" ones are definitely the better ones - and cheaper too. Mine are from toy & novelty shops and are called "Robot Claw" they cost about $10-$12.

Maybe you could get something on ebay?

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks fellas. I'll send His Lordship out on the hunt again tomorrow, whilst I'm busily slaving away at paying bills. If he can't get one locally, I'll get him to drop into Bunnings when he's taking Junior home to Rosebud on Tuesday.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well done martin its about time you put the photos on the forum ( not that I can talk ) .

I have to agree with you all the photos look great , but its one of those track you have to walk in the door and wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Kev

Edited by Wheel nut