clintd

Laptimer 2000 Question/problem

Greetings from New Zealand.

I have downloaded this program and tested it sucessfully on this computer using keyboard commands for counting down laps etc.

This computer is using XP.

I then put the program on my older computer I am using with the slot car track which has 512mb ram and 80gb hard drive running on windows 98.

I have mirrored all the settings and am unable once I start the race to get the laps to count down using the keyboard or sensor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

when you say :"I mirored all the settings"

Have you also configured the port on your old pc ?

grego

Hi Grego

I have set it to run on keyboard which hasn't worked.My brother built me the hardware with photo censors and had it all working on Laptimer 2000 before sending it to me.

I have tried keyboard and printer port on my older computer and it does not work on either.

I can change settings etc,start the race and it all looks ready to go but I am unable to get the laps to count down.

It works fine on this computer so I am wondering if there is some sort of conflict.

The port is working fine and I have tried closing other programs.

I tried the demo of PC lap counter which does work off my keyboard on the older computer but yet to get it to work off censor.It does say it is reading the port OK.

I like the simplicity off Laptimer 2000 and its free!

Thanks

yeah, good little program, plenty for home use and small clubs.

Sorry, but while i have made quite a few of those systems i have never run one into the keyboard plug.

my keyboards all go with usb and laptimer 2000 does not work with usb ports.

Because i became aware of these sort of problems when helping to setup a friends set, I now strictly stick with 15 pin

Joy stick port, which has to be configured as a """2 axis game pad - 4 button """

It also needs a couple of 100k resistors soldered into the plug but i never had a system go wrong this way.

grego

Hello Clintd

I've got the same problem with Lap Timer 2000 v. 6.1 and win98.

The run starts with green/red lights, but the chrono doesn't start. It remain fixed to zero, with keyboard trigger, and you confirm that it doesn't work also connected with printer port...

With XP it's all OK and running...

I've asked to Gregory Braun, regarding this problem, at the following e-mail addresses:

Webmaster@HOSlotCarRacing.com

support@gregorybraun.com

But I don't received still any answer... probably He's working on it,

We could ask for an older version of the software, I've tried the 6.0 and 5.7 with same results, (Chrono to 0.000).

please try to contact Gregory you too, so to have an advice how to run the software on WIN 98

and if you get some answer, please let me know

Bye,

Mauros

Just hooked up my timing system (using jaycar zd1901's, and LT2000) and all appeared to have gone well.

Upon final installation, lanes 1 and 2 work fine, but lane 3 is dead as a door nail.

I have used ports 10,11 + 12 respectively and 25 for the ground on my lpt1 port. Some fault finding later it appears as tho port 12 is dead, as I wired lane 3 sensor to port 11 and it worked fine, so I know its not that sensor.

Unplugging the lpt1 plug from the PC however sometimes results in lane 3 recording a lap, no prob i thought, dity port, so I gave it a hit with some contact cleaner but still no good.

I have manually tested the port with a bit of wire, with one end in port 25, and quickly touching the corresponding ports, and yep, 12 seems dead.

Any ideas on if this might be a setting somewhere, or should I just ditch it and try and obtain a 15 pin card and plug?

Thx Yngwie, just went and tried them , and it seems 13 is dead also.

With the compatability button unchecked, only 10 and 15 work, and with it checked, only 10 and 11 work.

Back to the drawing board by the looks, unlees there is a LT2000 guru out there?

not that this is what your problem is but I now use Dick Smith Z1951 photo-transistor sensors - I had the Jaycar ones and they were working on my 2 lane track when I went to 3 lanes I couldn't get them to work consistently - I made a new cable or 2 and just couldn't get them all to work - so I switched to the DSE ones and all 3 lanes work a treat,

cheers

DM

Trotty, try and install Ultimate Racer or some other free software. I have had this problem before with LT2000 but it was not apparent in UR3.0. Worth a shot!

Thanks guys, that was my next plan of attack.

I jumped on the bay of evil last night and bought an el cheapo db25 -> USb convertor ( DSE want $40, I got one for $6 delivered), and thought this would solve all my problems. As I lay in bed however, it occurred to me that it wont fix anything, as LT2000 doesnt support USB - doh! (lucky I didnt go the Dickys option!

Will give UR3.0 a run, but does anyone know of any USB supported free software? Just in case.

Seems strange that 12 and 13 have gone. Its an older PC (P3 863) but I doubt its ever had anything ever hooked up to the LPT1. I was thinking of updating the BIOS, but its doubtful that is the problem.

Are the ports the same for UR3.0?

I assume not, as all I can get to register is the inside lane, which reads as lane 2 on UR.

In the hardware setup section I notice it says something about the green and grey lights on the pin diagram, do I need to change these?

Sorry for the stupid ? , but all wiring diagrams I can find for UR seem to have the pins numbered backwards, and in the setup screen it is talking about pins 2 - 9.

I have had a search, and cant find too much on the subject as far as a simple wiring / port diagran goes.

Thanks Phil.

Just been having bit more of a play, and manged to UR detecting the ports, except 12 still.

The wierd thing is 10 shows as closed and 11 shows as open, on both LT and UR. 12 shows as closed also, but the other 2 still record laps, and 12 doesnt.

Had a play in the setup of the PC, and tried every port setting available for the parallel port, but same result.

So any programs support USB?

Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know, but you can assign your choice of pins to each lane in UR30 in the Hardware Settings (with some limitations)

I'm running UR30, so happy to help if I can

Edited by X1/9

Hi X1/9. I assume you are talking about the hardware config section, with the display of the lpt1 port and green/gray colours for the ports?

I noticed it allows me to change the settings for pins 2-9, does this mean I can use say port 2,3,4 for the inputs and have 23, 24, 25 for the ground?

I did muck around with that bit, but wasnt sure exactly whatthey meant in thier description of it.

Had a look over at SCI, but nothing of any help to me there.

Thanks Phil.

Just been having bit more of a play, and manged to UR detecting the ports, except 12 still.

The wierd thing is 10 shows as closed and 11 shows as open, on both LT and UR. 12 shows as closed also, but the other 2 still record laps, and 12 doesnt.

Had a play in the setup of the PC, and tried every port setting available for the parallel port, but same result.

So any programs support USB?

Ditch laptimer and use Ultimate Racer or some other package.

With UR you can select which pins you want to use so you could try pins 13,11 and 10.

Pin 11 is in its natural state inverted (compared to 13,12 and 10) so what you are seeing is correct. Sometimes ports work wonderful for printing but when used to send and recieve into the real world ie track control these faults show up. Normally due to a faulty 'pull up' resistor in the port holding the pin high the whole time. these things just happen - nothing you can do about it. Likewise another common issue is one of the earth pins may not work so I always short the pins 18 to 25 together to stop this being an issue

Cool, thanks aastes.

How do I go about that? In the fore mentioned hardware -> lpt1 settings? It lets me change the value (high or low) of pins 2 - 9 which seems to coorespond with looking at the front (pin side) of the male plug?

Cool, thanks aastes.

How do I go about that? In the fore mentioned hardware -> lpt1 settings? It lets me change the value (high or low) of pins 2 - 9 which seems to coorespond with looking at the front (pin side) of the male plug?

pins 2 to 9 are output. Depends on your hardware as to which way run want to go. just play and see what works with your set up. My set ups alway cut power if no PC is connected, other like power to be there even if the PC is removed

Ultimate Racer and any race programme worth its salt will take into account pin 11 being inverted so you dont need to worry

Really pulling my hair out here. Just ditched the lpt plug and tried a com port plug.

Just to clarify, can someone tell me, the display in UR settings of the ports, is that looking at the PC port or at the back of the plug I am soldering? It seems every diagram I look at has the ports numbered in different directions, none of them really say ' this is the back of the male' So if I have the plug in the socket, do I solder to these pins as I am looking at them in UR?

you should be able to read the numbers on the plug - I can on the plug I picked up at Jaycar

I will check my UR set up and get back to you - from memory one of my pins shows as off in UR but works anyway

maybe port 11

cheers

DM

Even better switch to Slot Racer manager.

works well

runs on a dos box

still being developed

will run win 98 rebooted into dos

very stable

http://www.cenobyte.nl/slotracemanager/hoofdframe.html

east as to set up.

We use barcodes to enter racers into championships.

Malcolm

wish there was more than one slot in each corner for me.

Then I would just fall out of one and into the next.