2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Race Series Entry list

lenny broke

Rather than clutter up the Rules and regs thread with long lists of entries I thought I would make a new one for the entry list and edit as required.. If you wish to enter please post on this thread  and we can free up the R&R one for rule specific questions there.

Latest entry list update -29-01-2021

1.   Peter Gunn         #14

2.   sdeamon            #12

3.   Brumos RSR       #33

4.   Mondeo74          #20

5.   Terry                    #47

6.   Paulslots             #22

7.   Lenny Broke        #4

8.   PeterG                 #10

9.   Slot Car tragic    # TBA

10.  Eric                     #58

11   Phil K                   #9

12  Rosco                   #6

13 CharlesX               #5.

14. PM Daniels          #19

15. Daniel P               #15

16. Stubbo                #2

17. Fooieman          #69

18. Dixie                   #16

19. Bunyip.                #41

20 Stubbo 2               # 56

21 Sainter                   #66

22 Max N                   # 23

23 Andy B                  #7

24 WizardGM            #8

25 Sticks                  #28

Edited by lenny broke
Sticks added number added 02Feb21

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've just updated the entry list and the tech sheet to reflect the latest changes.

Welcome along to WizardGM, anyone local (SA) will know the wizard and can expect a really good car from him. I look forward to seeing what he concocts.

Sorry to see John B won't be participating this year I always looked forward to his entry every year always a front runner and a pleasure to drive.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Lenny, some of my entry details... 

Cooper - T-53 circa something between 1960 and 1964... probably won't follow an actual car with this build.. at present, considering metallic green over gold stripe (so that puts paid to original livery).

Motor - SRP - 050 - SR181D41600 

Wheels - Ranch Design - rear : WCF 15 x 6.2,  front  WCF 15 x 5.2

Crown PInion - Ranch Design, small version - crown aluminium 24 tth, pinion brass 9 tth.

Tyres ( for now, but in poor shape) - Paul Gage. rear - 21072, front 20062

Body - Tassie Resins

Chassis - piano wire/brass brackets 0.062" wire. Rosco built.

Guide - Slot-It (unsure of number, but will update).

Currently mid-way through build.

Think that's it for now

frats,'

Rosco

Lenny, details of my car are as follows,

#8, Wizardgm, SA,

Body - Brabham BT3 F1,

Manufacturer - Faller,

Chassis - M.E.S.S. ,

Motor - SRP18,

Guide - Sloting+,

Braid - Racer Sideways,

Lead Wire - NSR,

Pinion - Slot It,

Gear - Slot It,

Ratio - 10 to 25 or 26,

Rear Tyres - MJK,

Rear Rims MJK (mod),

Front Rims - MJK (mod)

Front Tyres - Ninco Classic

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Roscoe.

I think to T53 Cooper was 1960-61 but many private cars would have raced for years after. My first Tasman car was a T53. Had quite a wide body compared to some of the later models. A later car was the 1962 T60 but it was more cigar shaped. My T53 body came from Munter/John Warren.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Thanks Chas,

My first T/C proxy entry a few years back was of Bill Patterson's T-53.. I believe he purchased it from Bib Stillwell and I'm not sure that Bib was original owner.

I modeled my entry on a pic of Bill sitting in the car in 1964 at Longford, Tas..... including matching silver stripe over white of the car on his helmet... and the little air scoop on top of the bonnet.

In fact, when I took our caravan down to Tasmania - I found the Longford circuit and placed my little T-53 on the very track its prototype would have raced on.... the now non-used section of Tannery Road leading down to the river... and our traveling companions took a pic of me getting "my shot"...... see if I can find some pix... 

Cooper-T53-Patterson-Longford1964-600x30

001-9-mail.jpg

025-53-Cooper-on-Tannery-Road.jpg

ground-shot-mail.jpg

My entry this year is not modelled on anything.... and is in fantasy livery.. I have not added the large amount of detail to this year's entry... but, it does have suspension arms and springs and four intake flutes under the cowl... I believe this is probably the bare minimum that the series for this year requires.

I simply ran out of time.. and to include more detail in the torsion bar linkages in the rear would have probably put me out of reaching the deadline.

At present, the body is sitting in Titanium Gold. It was my intention to overspray this with either a clear blue or clear green, and leave the gold as a stripe down the centre.

I like the look of the titanium gold, and will now leave it.. but will spray a white stripe down the centre and round it off following the nose.... 

I did this with a Slot-It GT40 white kit, to mimic the Mother's car wax GT40 on their products... and was happy with the result.... so, this little T-53 will follow that livery... 

Wheel inserts will either be gold, white or I am throwing around "painting" them in Molotow chrome... I am yet to mess with that stuff yet - but today, now also have a 30 ml refill of it to be used in my very fine SOTAR Badger air-brush... with only a 0.21 needle set... I am hopeful that this brush will spray the very fine chrome ink with some satisfaction... we'll see... 

Thanks for the info on T-53's.... and yes, I have both Phil's resin kit (this model) and also Munter's (previous entry). I do like the look of these cars... they are a bit longer and wider than many of the competitors.. but I just happen to like them... and love the history of the car - including the fire-pump engine which was used .... and the revolutionary concept of the chassis.... 

My third Cooper T-53 will more than likely be a more scale-like attempt... with a lot of detail. And I will have to concede to making up yet another British Racing Green with white striped version to add it to my collection... 

I have two more sets of Ranch Design crowns, pinions and wheels yet.. so - there will be a "fourth" '60's GP/Tasman car.... more than likely, it won't be a Cooper T-53... and maybe a Brabham - not sure which one... but I may break away and choose one where there is engine detail behind the driver... any suggestions.... a V8 would be my choice.. something I can add engine detail to... 

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append
  • Like 1

Probably would have been run over, Malomay.......... the section of the former Longford circuit I chose is pretty much now unused... it was safe to lay down on the road and get my pic.... chose the crack in the bitumen to place the guide and have all four wheels on the circuit.... 

frats,

Rosco

1 hour ago, Shaynus said:

Maybe the photo was taken after Rosco had a couple too many at the pub!!! :P

Sorry to disappoint your observation, Shaynus..... but Rosco does not partake of intoxicating beverage........ however, the euphoria of being at such an historic and wonderful trip down memory lane certainly could be interpreted as similarly effective in the pic above..... 

The long straight is a back road - and I wonder how many people who know of its history go for a spin on it..... they reached some incredible speeds down to pit corner before making the very sharp angled backwards turn towards the water tower straight.... 

Anyone in the area who has not seen what remains of the old Longford "International" circuit would be well advised to spend a bit of time .... it was a big circuit, but sadly - even though the Pub has some of the history up on its walls....... no one has seized on the opportunity to signpost the old circuit, and unless you have an intimate knowledge of it - it's darned hard to find all the sections... one of them now  being through a farm.... and another part of it now being part of a roundabout, the entrance to which is a new main road.... 

I put a post together in Auslot a number of years back with some pix.... I have all the GPS co-ordinates which will greatly assist anyone who wants to spend an hour in the area finding the old track....... Symons Plains isn't too far south from Longford.... and sadly, the local town progress association has failed miserably in not seizing upon the opportunity to claim this marvelous piece of Australian motor racing history and do something with it...... if not for the Pub, there is nothing in the town that we saw which would ever indicate this used to be an international location and platform for international racing... 

frats,

Rosco

Yeah, unfortunately Australia seems to have a long history of ignoring it's motorsport history.

Forgotten tracks, ignored achievements, undervalued / under appreciated personalities, the list goes on.

People such as Jack Brabham were revered over seas and virtually forgotten by the greater populous here...apart from a odd postage stamp of course...

He did get his name on a little HB 4 cyl Torana.... wow! - was that an appreciation!

Sadly, a lot of our world famous sportspeople had to go overseas to get recognition.... locally, they were held in the highest of esteems.... but to be accredited with international acclaim - it was necessary to front the world venues....... and many/most did.

It is just so sad, that we had such an international venue at Longford.... and aside from Albert Park lake.... I am scratching my balding head to think of one former such circuit which still exists.

Of course, we have the "Mountain"... in which the world came to us (the mountain must go to Mohammed syndrome)... and it was not until international competitors began to come here, the rest of the world began to watch....... and many international followers in motor sport believed their local favorites who came down under would "show" we in the never never how to win a race....... and were dismally disappointed that these icons did so poorly..... it was then, the world stood up and began to look down here... 

Such an opportunity lost - Longford was, and in my mind  always will be one circuit which stood out..... and sadly was let to go to ruin... 

It's a sad testament, Shaynus - that what could have been more than a viable proposition - was let go and lost forever.

Longford is a long circuit, with some intricate driving demands.. the causeway and the two bridges... not to mention "pub corner" and the famous railway level crossing where cars often were completely airborne.... all from an almost first gear corner at the pub - and in one short stretch to the crossing on Tannery Road..... and beyond what is now a large roundabout - the photo above taken beyond that roundabout on a stretch of Tannery Road which is now rarely open.... and when open, only as an access road to a little park where you can launch a canoe.... 

It's a lovely area.... and there are member of this forum who have driven the entire circuit before it was closed and cut up..... the little township of Longford, Tasmania was very high on my list of places to visit in 2015 when we spent 6 weeks down in there touring in the caravan... the Penny Farthing races at Evandale were also on whilst we were there.... and the large Launceston airport is only a stone's throw from both Symonds Plain and Longford..... 

Disappointed with Symonds Plain... small circuit with tight bends.... I don't believe Taswegians of today can appreciate what they lost when they cut up Longford..... 

frats,

Rosco

15 hours ago, rosco01 said:

I don't believe Taswegians of today can appreciate what they lost when they cut up Longford..... 

frats,

Rosco

There are certainly still many that have a very good idea of what was lost as well Rosco !

What is more galling, is the lack of awareness of local tourism bodies that have no idea of the opportunities & interest that could be generated in just some things such as basic information signage around the old circuit & some development (a walk down to & under the viaduct, & along to the river crossing etc).

BUUT, looks like this is a Tasman proxy thread....so I'll get in trouble if I go off on any more tangents !

Edited by Malomay

31 minutes ago, Malomay said:

BUUT, looks like this is a Tasman proxy thread....so I'll get in trouble if I go off on any more tangents !

You and me both, Malomay... but, Longford was a very large part of the Tasman Cup.... and it is my belief that the OP would not be too greatly annoyed for information in the history of the series... 

And yes - maybe one day, some savvy up and coming local entrepeneur will seize on what remains of the Longford circuit and actually do something about making it a tourist attraction... we can only hope..... some signage and boards with period pix would go a long way to creating interest.... perhaps, even - the Pub could sponsor locating them with reference to their own in house display to attract patronage.... that would be a good start.... 

frats,

Rosco

Edited by lenny broke
problems posit into this reply

Yeah, it has wandered off a bit, but probably worth it's own thread itself. I'll contact the admins and see if we can get it transferred into a new topic.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

6 minutes ago, lenny broke said:

Yeah, it has wandered off a bit, but probably worth it's own thread itself. I'll contact the admins and see if we can get it transferred into a new topic.

Cheers Alan

Thanks Alan,

fingers considered slapped...

frats,

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lenny/Alan.

I know it is very late but in mucking about with my Tasman cars I have found my old VRAA Cooper T60 still goes quite well and appears to comply in all respects including BWA motor. even if tyres may have gone off a bit.  Reviewing the rules I see the limit for fiied is 30. Appreciate it is very late but would you like another entry. Could send two cars together and payment is no problem. Your choice. Car still looks and goes great (very driveable) except it has on small chip on paint - easy fix. Currently number 5 as per VRAA but I could easily change Brabham to No.3 (appears available) which would be as raced at Pukekohe by Denny. Please let me know. Hoping to have Brabham finished this weekend although still to try SRP18000motor.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx