We are now all but full, 23 entrants.

Will Capri-Corn come to play, or will someone steal his slot come Monday......

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Excellent, field full  - half locals half visitors.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

All the best for event Mark. Really enjoyed myself at same 2 years ago even if my car was crap. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Someone did a flash new poster for the event. No prize for guessing who.
DTM-2021-online.jpg

The DTM 2021 has been run and won. Here's a few random pix of some geeks in my shed.

iWiJvugl.jpg

cIOhETpl.jpg

UnlzQvPl.jpg

iAc2r4El.jpg

S9vmhOxl.jpg

LkYdInwl.jpg

HVXRwoQl.jpg

hInyTIhl.jpg

oCz5CUal.jpg

78e4Qbol.jpg

rS5lHF9l.jpg

yk6pgt5l.jpg

Podiums are for short people.

Well done Big Mac.

Great photos. Good to see good representation there from across whole country and including some old faces.

Hope you will all be at the NZSCA 1/32nd RTR/Hard Body Nationals near the end of May 2021 at Henderson.

Sorry I could not be there. Too many other slot car projects

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Matt is hooked.....

Love it! Thanks Mac and Pip for the great hospitality, food good as usual. Thanks JK and Mark for the great race coordination and all the out of towners for a great event. 

Great to win most improved, who would’ve thunked it! 

thanks again!! 

• Like 1

My first ‘National’ event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great to meet the out of towners and to take part in a well run and catered event. Thanks to Mac and Pip for being the top hosts they are and to Mark for organising the DTM.  And of course JK and apprentice race controller Ryan for running a tight ship.  Cool photos too Mac.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Here's some more. Apologies for the late response and results - bottom of pics

DTM202125.jpg

DTM202124.jpg

DTM202126.jpg

DTM202127.jpg

DTM202128.jpg

The Dudes

DTM202129.jpg

DTM202130.jpg

DTM202131.jpg

BestLapsRace3.jpg

DTM2021qualifying.jpg

DTM2021points.jpg

Wouldn't it make ya chuck. I give a guy a replacement motor and a set of glued and trued tyres because I feel sorry for him as a visitor after 6 hours of practice
and re-tuning, and he ends up kicking my butt down the field.

Well done everybody, we had a blast.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Mark and Mac for running and hosting the event, and double thanks to Pip for expanding my waist line! Such a nice experience to be just a racer, and not organizing, so I appreciate how much work went into this event.

So sorry I didn't hang around for the prize giving, as I didn't think I was remotely up for anything, and the guilt of time away from study was getting to me, so left early. Took me by surprise when Mark told me at the dinner I had won something.

I do so little racing these days, it was such a nice reminder of why I did it back then. 

Sincere thanks to all of you making it so enjoyable, and to catch up with all those out of town visitors.

Chris

I knew we should have skulled your bubbly first............... 
Scotty took some video at the start of the last Bracket A race.
All 3 overall podiumites were in this bracket race. Mac, Gill and Wongy

• Like 1

Good footage, Scott. Nice one  

I just wanted to add in how much I enjoyed hanging out with you all. It was good seeing the regulars back again and meeting some new faces. Race Catering exceeded all expectations(!), and there was a good, postive vibe in the shed all weekend long.

I enjoyed seeing Bingo’s innovative parts business going properly commercial for the first time, and it was cool seeing the mid-pack being so close and competitive during racing.

Every year the racing is faster and the driving standard continues to improve. Let’s do it again. 

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 2

Here's an interesting observation.

I changed the rules this year, to make a flat 80 - 90 grams car weight, rather than un-weighted Opels, and all Alfas up to max 78 grams, driver choice in 2019
That was simply because I gave up trying to use weight to equalise the performance across the now Opel, 3 Alfas, Mercedes and Nissan.

In 2018 and 2019, almost all the top drivers all chose Opels, as they have the lowest COG, and were wider than some other models.
I came 2nd in 2018, 3rd in 2019 with CA35 and CA45 Alfas. - But the top 10 cars were near a 50/50 mix of OPel and Alfa.

This year,  with a weight free for all of 80-90 gms all models, almost all Opels weighed in at scrutineering at minimum legal weight - 80 - 81 grams.
The average Mercedes and Alfa, and Peters Nissan, were all running 84 - 85 grams average (I am guessing that is where the driver felt the car hit a sweet spot for handling balance versus speed/nimbleness.)
I still have pics of the results by heat/race, from the DTM 2019 - with the best lap times of each driver.
The lap times for returning drivers were similar. Guys who were doing 7.5s in 2019, did 7.5s this time. Guys doing 7.3s last time, did 7.3s this time.
Mac did 7.1s last time to win, and 7.1s this time to win. 
There were the odd 7.2 from myself, Wongy and Steve Wall. Gill who finished 2nd, cracked a couple of 7.1s.

The results by car model were also similar.

In  2018 and 2019, 4 Opels and 4 Alfas in the top 8, with Opels dominating, my Alfas being the only podium car both years

In 2021

P1 to P4 - 4 x Opels
P5      My Alfa CA50
P6   Snake's Piebone built Alfa CA35
P7 Scott's Opel
P8 Pat's Mercedes 190
P9 Tony's Mercedes 190
P10 JK's ... I forget did JK run his CA45 Alfa or an Opel on the day

So whatever I have done so far, the top drivers/builders are mostly choosing the car gifted the best proportions by nature, and those Opels are still coming out on top
It begs the real question. What else COULD we do to promote a wide use of models in the class. Do we even want to bother... or just let it run? "It is what it is"

- I thought of a track width maximum, but the Opel is still lower by 3mm than the Mercedes and 6mm than the Alfas....
- I thought of a Class A and B within the models... messy, complicated
- I thought of just a prize for top non-Opel
Thoughts guys? 

Hi Mark. Always interesting to try analysis. In hindsight why did you let weight be put in the Opal. They went really well without it. Other end of story - why regulate at all. Third option is if you put top drivers in potentially fastest car you are only every going to get one result. What could you have done with an Opal Mark. Perhaps we should make those Moslers go without weight. That would unset a few people - Haha. It would locally anyway.

Slot-it are usually fairly good at producing reasonably equal cars. Look at Group C. Pity this has not worked out for DTM. While Opal's credentials are well established with the likes of the Nissan appearing perhaps this discussion is a bit premature. Thunderslot also have adapted their basic chassis to a number of different models to good effect.

My thoughts for what they are worth are remove any weight restrictions or ban altogether. In full size racing everybody does not drive the same car with the same potential. I personally go out of the way to use a different car to the majority in all my racing. I do not own a Mosler but have tuned them for others.

Another used previously (NZ Canam Proxy I think) we restricted the number of any one model. I thought that worked out reasonably well.

Hope this is of some help. Pity there were no Taranaki entries this year but sometimes other things get in the way. Regards Chas Le Breton

I have no experience with these cars at all, so obviously that makes me a perfect candidate to offer my expert opinion...cough...

Just a thought, and I don't know what the ramifications could be, but if the Alfas/ Mercedes were in the 85g weight range, do you make a minimum class weight of 90g, perhaps?? Will more than likely have unintended consequences I don't know of (make them too sluggish)?

You've probably already considered this, so I'll slink back and hide under my rock.

Fantastic looking event everyone, well done all!

you are always going to get one model in a class that will be better than the others

guy's that are interested in winning or at least being at the pointy end will almost  always go for that model

I am like Chas and prefer to go for something different or the model I like more as in the real car if I can

I am not sure there is a easy solution to making the different models more even as there are also other factors in place

like driver ability, quality of car tuning etc. 

how about a build/tune at the venue on that weekend, that might help take the advantage the local guy's have with being able to test and tune their cars on the track that the

event is being held on, that will still favor the better car tuners and drivers but eliminates the advantage of long testing and fine tuning times on the track by the locals

and maybe team the better tuners with others, each team member tunes there own car but it is a group effort with every team member helping each other to get the best car they can

when you have that time pressure even the better model can not run as well as the other models

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

This is always a tricky one. I agree with Crockett that there is usually one model per class that is easier to make quick. 

I have only ever tried to make one stock DTM car of my own go fast. However, the weekend before the DTM, I helped Brendan set up a brand new Alfa and had it lapping in 7.1s, just over an hour after we opened the packet. I added weight into Pat’s Mercedes while he was at work on Friday, and that was lapping in 7.0 - 7.1s from the get-go too. 

At this stage I am planning on entering the Mercedes I won this year in next years race. Pat’s Merc was the nicest car I drove over the weekend - such a honey - and I reckon there are sub7s times in a good one. Time will tell.