Kommandant33

Scalextric C8435 Arc Pro Powerbase Discussion

Hey all,

I thought I would start a thread for the Scalextric ARC Pro powerbase - as it FINALLY looks like it's on the horizon!

It looks like it's available for pre-order in the UK - We will probably know more about in AUS after the toy fair in March.

ARC%20Pro_zpsvf1tyqqr.jpg

1. That looks like a USB input. Hopefully this will carry data, and will be able to communicate to a computer with race managment software, and we aren't stuck using an ipad with Scalextric software - as it's notoriously buggy - but my feeling is this is just a USB charging port for the iPad - if this is the case, I will not be buying.

2. 15V connection - same as the C7042 - but now the cables will hang out from the side, which will be slightly problematic for those of us with a routed cable system on our tracks - but not the end of the world.

3. Hopefully these are buttons to program in the wireless controllers, and will still work with existing software (SSDC RC64 etc)

4. Full length straight - with the sensors at the very start. Hopefully the ARCPRO artwork can be removed easily enough.

ARC%20Pro%20Controller_zpsb4zzue3m.jpg

And these are the controllers - 2.4ghz - hopefully won't be interupted by the thousands of wireless phones and routers in the neighbouthood.

Having batteries will add some weight to them - that's one thing I find with the wired digi controllers - they feel very light and cheap.

Brake/lane change buttons have been switched around.

Rumble pack - a bit of a wank I think - but could be a bit of fun if used correctly.

So the hype train is rolling into town - let's hope they keep it all relativity open source, and we aren't bound to their software.

Will you be buying?

If so, will you be changing from a C7042? Or is this what you have been waiting for before getting into digital?

Will you be avoiding? If so why?

What questions do you want answered before you make your decision?

Komm.

He'll be Komm'in 'round the corner when he comes...

AuSlot_zpsi7z6mmju.jpg

I already have the APB so can't see myself upgrading/downgrading to the ARCPRO when it is released.

When the APB was released it had a few little problems that were sorted out by those in the know in the hobby, not by Scalextric.

Wireless controllers, Firmware updates, fixes for CLC's (to run in analogue mode) and others were done by those in the know as well, not by Scalextric.

I'd like to think that Scalextric have taken their time to release the ARCPRO so that it works like it should from the get go.

Probably not my cup of tea at the moment but you never know, once the APB packs it in I might need to look at it.

cheers

Matt

Good starting point for a discussion. Like your diagrams.

As far as we know, scalextric is not opening this powerbase to third-party for developing PC-based RMS. So it might be the case that we will be stuck with their app for a while.

The good news is that the wireless protocol has been designed by slot.it. This means that:

- you take one of those wireless controllers, upgrade the firmware with your phone and you now have a cheap oXigen controller;

- the new SCP3 controller (which is oXigen native) is able to be linked with the ARC PRO so you can have a pro-controller with your base without the need to buy extra cartridges;

- the new C chip from slot.it works both on AC/DC and on oXigen, SSD (and Carrera as well). This means that you can easily switch between SSD and oXigen racing on the same track using the same car with the same chip and the same controller! How convenient is that?

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Well It looks like Scalextric have completely stuffed this up, and once again have not consulted with the enthusiasts at all.

They have discontinued the C7042 Digital Advanced 6 car power base, and not put an AUX port on the new ARC Pro.

Very disappointing.

He'll be Komm'in 'round the corner when he comes...

AuSlot_zpsi7z6mmju.jpg

As the oxygen controllers work, I wonder if it will be able to be paired to the oxygen USB receiver...

The arc controllers can be flashed with special firmware that make them to talk to oXigen chips and dongle. But I am not sure that you can oXigenize the powerbase...Slot.it has designed for scalextric the radio protocol between the controller and the base but I do not think that the base has anything to do with oXigen.

Cheers

G

I had a prototype version, but all changed after slot.it got involved in the development, so it should be compatible somehow.

I have one I'm playing with to do a high power mod. Watch this space!

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

Riko, definitely interesting to see you back hacking at powerbases.

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Cheers

G