Brett Davis

Ssd F1 Solder In Chip

Hi All

Finally another post, heaps has happened since my last post last year, got the 6 cpb and some extra track and last week I finally brought my first two chips to put into my beloved A1GP cars, brought a soldering iron to use, now S@*tting bricks, never ever soldered anything in my life :unsure: . Could anybody out there near Penrith help me with chipping my A1GP cars, willing to supply a 6 pack to be taught or cash if you want. I just don't want to wreak my cars, I think I would have to end my life as I know it if they got hurt, I love my A1GP cars like my children they are dear to me, so I think you can see how important is for me to be taught properly by a sensei of solder :ph34r: .

Please help will travel to a soldering dojo if needed.

Brett

I too was very nervous when I started soldering, last year and found it very frustrating with making little balls of solder and then not sticking to any thing.

Here are a few top tips I found very useful.

1. Go to Jaycar and get yourself some helping hands, they are basically a couple of alligator clips on a stand.

These are the best things to help you solder I have found.

2. Twist the wires together.

3. Using the solder heat the wires for about half a minute then apply the solder and heat there solder to melt.

For the chips snip the wires between the braids and the motor.

the green wire goes on the left if you are holding the chassis so that you are eyeballing the driver

the wires to the motor don't matter which way you you connect the chip will sort it out, assuming you are using scalextric chips.

Don't be afraid to try just be careful not to melt some plastic.

Sorry I'm not near Penrith I'm feeling at tad thirsty.

There are also some pretty good YouTube videos out there if you can't find someone local

good luck

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Dont be afraid to do it as it is rather simple and on cars with quick release guides its just involves soldering the 2 wires to the motor. Just make sure no wires touch each other or sit on any metal and you will have no issue. The worst that can happen if you get the 2 motor wires the wrong way is the motor goes backwards which then means you just need to swap the wires around

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Heating the wire for half a minute! That's a long time... Wet the tip of your iron with a tiny amount of solder, then apply to the wire for a couple of seconds, then apply solder at the point where the iron touches the wire. Let the solder melt and wick onto the wire briefly, and then remove both solder then iron. Should take you no more than 4 seconds all up per joint.

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Well ZeGas, Johnsxr8 and MIH,

Thanks for the advice and I did it B) I have successfully chipped my A1GP Australia and Germany. I am going down to the shop in Penrith tomorrow to buy some more chips and keep on chipping :D . I am so happy I had a go and just took it nice and slow and took all your advice and success, man the feeling of getting my own chipping jobs to change lanes and go forward was very satisfiying, I am forever in your guys debt, thanks for the advice.

I now have 2 days off from work so I think it is off to the bottleo and a 6 pack of Paulaner for me, I'll be toasting you guys for sure.

EIN PROST!

Brett

Thanks for that MIH,

I am self taught using web instructions and youtube

Was always creating little balls that just fell off, heaps of ball bearings rolling around the place.

Heating up the wire a bit first seemed to work for me so have stuck with it, I'll try your advice next time.

Brett PM sent re F1 chips

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

Nearly fell off my chair when I read half a minute! You can destroy a lot of devices if you allow lots of heat to conduct through, plus insulation on a lot of wire types wont take that amount of heat.

Get your soldering iron hot, really hot. clean the end/flat/tip I use a ball of copper wire to rub against it, seems bettr than the sponge, but also a quick wipe of the tip on a roll of kitchen paper can make it shine, and you do want it to shine. Now apply a small amount of solder and ensure it wets the active part iof the tip/flat/end.

Now tin the end of the piece of wire by putting the soldering tip to the wire at the same time as a piece of solder. That should take a second (max). Do the second piece of wire the same. Re-wet the soldering iron tip with a tiny bit of solder. Hold both wires together and then touch the joint with the soldering iron, the fresh solder should instantly melt and form a sound joint.

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

Well there you go, someone else asks the question I get it wrong (sorry Brett for the ill advice), and now I am learning, gotta love forums.

How the hell did anyone learn anything before the net.

Thanks everyone going to practice that in the weekend.

Cheers Grant