manimmal

Carrera News

That's the news I've been waiting for, Ember..... do you (I expect you do) know how hard it is to find a Stingray Corvette....well, new one..... ?

I'll be able to order an additional model when this one is released..... (not holding breath) - my wife want her "own" one of these in flame red... it's the only model she wants.... her last run on any track was back in 1985...... guess she's going to be a little "rusty"...

I'm very glad that Carrera will release this... they produce excellent bodies... well, the ones I have are.....

frats,

Rosco

I like the effort Carrera put into their bodys but it annoys me every time I go to pull a Carrera out of the box..... The tires are perished.... & its hard to find decent replacements.

I'd usually prefer to tout local product before all else and I love MJK tyres, but because of the way Carrera do their wheels it is difficult for manufacturers to keep up with replacements. For Carrera (all two of mine) Canadian Paul Gage probably offers the best range of replacement tyres. You'll find him on eBay.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Sorry, forgot his seller name. Used to dealing with him via PM on another forum. :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Will this mean some more great looking cars that still go like crap?

Could be worse they could have exclusive rights to FORD products!

Yeah, even more crappier!!

I find the comments regarding how poorly Carrera cars run very interesting. Nope: they are not NSR's... but then they are way, way less expensive than NSR's. And I have found pretty much without exception that they run very well indeed with very little TLC in preparation. The basics are good: the wheels are round and sturdily mounted, the gears mesh fine, not too much slop in the bushings etc etc. So if you spend a small amount of time on them they tend to run very well. For instance: I used one of the older BMW M3 GT3 class cars in our open racing this past weekend. Because of our bracket racing format (a form of handicap racing) you can compete with just about any car if it runs consistently and predictably: this the Carrera does in spades. And for comparison: it has a best lap time faster than my fastest Scaley TransAm car and does so with minimal fuss and bother: smooth and handles very well indeed. In addition they do very, very nice models. I for one like them. Am I totally enamoured with their exclusive agreements? Not so much. But seeing as they seem to turn out significant numbers of very nice cars at very nice prices I can live with it. After all I can only have one fastest car. And quite coincidentally: I prepared four Carrera Ferrari 458's for our IROC racing and we used them this past Friday. I found that the Shoe Goo I used close to the front tyres like totally dissolved them. But I was able to find and order some complete tyre sets online from Carrera themselves. Works for me!

Edited by SuperSlab

I've been a big 'basher' of Carrera cars in the past.

This is slowly changing...

My first Carrera was a Ford Mustang GT350, and it's a pile of rubbish...

A few other carrera's I'd driven arround that time felt just as bad.

I then got a Dodge charger, and whilst better than the Ford, still wasn't a great car, and just 'falls over'.

Next up was the Ford Torino, and man is that a nice car... At least in our classic nascar class run on oval's anyway.

Then I picked up an Audi R8, and a Ferrari 458, and they run very nicely.

They do require a change of tyres to run magless on Scaley sport track, but they are definately 'easy to drive'...

Whilst they are not the best cars I have, these 2 and the Torino have turned my view of carrera around...

That said, an Alfa that I also got with the Audi is not as nice, but still runs better than that original Ford...

My biggest gripe now with them is that they are 'heavy'. The Audi is about 85g without any ballast...

Thankfully, most of that bulk is in the chassis, but the shell is still heavier than a Scaley / SCX / Ninco equivelant.

Edited by shadow_rusty

It comes down to the same old result

All the manufacturers that provide plastic tracks, build their cars to race on them, this includes the use of magnets, sometime multiple, Carrera is no different.

Here in Oz plastic tracks are the exception rather than the rule, most opting for routed tracks where setting up cars to run competitively on wood is the norm.

With that in mind, some cars are setup easy "out of the box", some are frustratingly difficult and can never find the sweet spot.

Carrera tend to fall to the right of difficult, they can be set up, but it takes a lot of time and work to get anywhere near a standard Slot-it or NSR, with results that are not guaranteed, and most aren't prepared to venture down that path.

A few of us run the Carrera cars that are away from the mainstream cars for set classes, it's about the enjoyment of running something different, or remodelling it to represent a favourite car eg Monza

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Yeah, OK, I run on plastic. Guilty of that one. But I run non-mag. I don't have a huge amount of Carreras running sweetly. But then I don't have a huge amount of Scaleys running sweetly either. But the Audi R8 and Cobra Coupe that I have are a joy to drive. And they took a lot less work than a Scaley. Standard blueprinting type stuff, change of tyres and good to go. Admittedly for comfort on my track which has some tight turns and dips so I used a B-Nova adaptor to change the guide.

Detail is inclined to be better than a Scaley. Price is favourable. As SR said, they're inclined to weightiness but much of that is down low. If you want to put it on a diet, ditch the interior.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

interesting about Carrera they make pretty good cars at the price offered, you can buy 2 Carrera's for the price of a NSR and for that reason alone are a good buy , I have the Cobra coupe and Dodge Charger mainly race on plastic track but not always both have been fitted with the appropriate MJK's on the back, and carry no magnets, the guide cut about a bit and that's about it, out perform Scaley cars of similar type are never going to be Slot it and NSR beaters but not designed to be, all in all I find them very good value, with a nice choice of cars . :)

This looks like it could be an interesting development from Carrera...

From: http://zot4slot.altervista.org/carrera-cam-car-la-slot-camera-car-riprese-online-live/

PSX_20180128_223550.jpg

Hmm. Are travel sickness pills incuded?

Great concept, i know i've strapped an iphone to a 1/24 car before just to satisfy my curiosity. We've also used track side go pro cameras, which is great fun when it comes to finding out who really did cause that crash!

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Interesting can see the appeal of racing on a larger track say 6/8 lanes be great fun especially for those drivers who forget where the bend is and the marshal's all posing for the cameras instead of putting the car back in the slot chuckle :D