Trotty's New Track

trotty88

Hi guys, bit of info and a few pics of my WIP.

I have settled on a 3 lane MDF track, that would allow me some sort of entry into the world of slot cars. It is basically 2 full sheets of 12mm MDF, and I have tried to squeeze as much lane space in a possible.

It will be running copper tape, and I am still undecided on track surface. Power supply is still up in the air, but I have a few options.

I am constructing this track on a limited budget (as cheaply as possible), and so far the construction has come in at under $80 (without cars and controllers), and have learnt a lot already.

This is where I am at after about 8 hours routing, a few plan changes along the way, and a lot of standing, staring and pointing.

A fairly basic layout, with a couple of squeezes, and some elevation changes. The only thing I am starting to get worried about, is the lack of visiblity behind the bridge area, but I am still experimenting with the rises.

Anyway, here it is. (have to use your imagination a bit)

n698519096_2662774_7848140.jpgn698519096_2662770_3497603.jpgn698519096_2662771_6749640.jpgn698519096_2662703_2951295.jpgn698519096_2662704_3696431.jpgn698519096_2662702_5001434.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice track layout Trotty but why not keep saving the cash a bit longer and go for braid instead of tape , you already have the router operating skills and its not much further to go to use braid .

Hi Paul, Up in Rockhampton.

Got a few more bits and pieces done yesterday, hopefully some serious jigsaw work today.

Once I get everything cut, I can start packing the elevations, and hopefully start getting some of it screwd down to the table.

Its really starting to take shape now, but I am guessing there is still another few weekends work to go yet, so trying not to get ahead of myself.

Hi BMR, thanks.

Being my first attempt at anything like this, I am trying to keep it simple, thus the tape. If all goes well, then maybe down the track I will have a go at braid.

I used tape myself for ages its ok but after some time I got tired of repairing it . Tape has some advantages by way of its cheap and if you want to change the track or if the track doesn't turn out to be as nice to race on as you thought it would then its cheap to add to it etc . I rebuilt my track a few times over the years and eventually when I settled on the track layout I braided it . I set up the router with a couple of 2mm pins in a plywood plate on the bottom of the router . They ran in the slot and then I cut a recess for the braid to go in . The copper tape was peeled off as much as possible then the rest was routered out easily - but messy - who said routering was a clean job anyways ? :)

I bet you do the same thing most of us do with a new track - you get one lane taped up then hook up some power and play on that lane all day , a week later the other lanes get taped and powered ;) Keep the pictures coming as ya go :D

Managed to free up a few hours this arv, and got all of the cutting done. I have started screwing down one sheet, and adding the risers in for elevations.

I also knocked up a very simple tape laying tool, that works a treat. Made from offcuts and scrap, so the price was right.

Just need to get the bridge section done, which is the job for tomorrow.

n698519096_2669494_513671.jpgn698519096_2669490_5595501.jpgn698519096_2669492_5739571.jpgn698519096_2669495_5924286.jpg

G'Day Trotty, wow that's a tight corner!!!

(The one with the yellow car in it)

I hope you don't have any trouble with it.

The plan looks good, but I reckon you'll learn that it's not about squeezing as much track in, it's about letting the track flow, but a great first track and kudos to you for your routing skills.

Check out this track (in QLD, Brissie)... you'll see what I mean.

Enjoy the build, it won't be the last mate!Keep the pics coming, good luck with the build.

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks knoath. That track in your link looks magic - if only I had the skills!

That corner does look tighter and tighter everytime I look at it. I forget what radius it is, but I am sure I checked on here first to make sure it wasn't too tight. Only one way to find out I guess. Worst comes worst, I have plenty of filler.

Looking back, I should have stuck to my original layout, as it would have allowed a lot more scenery, but again, being my first attempt its all about honing the skills.

I liked the 'flowing track' theory, but went with the bang for buck layout, seeing as though I am a bit tight on for space.

As you say, it probably won't be the last, and I already have a 'if i did it again' list, the mrs will kill me if it turns into a 'next one' list. I don't think I will have too much trouble selling it when the time comes, already had a few favourable comments from visitors.

@BMR - I understand from reading others builds, that the one lane usually gets taped and raced, so I am expecting the same. I am starting to get the feeling that my 33mtr roll of tape isn't quite going to cut it, so I will make sure I get one whole lane done, and then see how far I get on the rest.

I know it isn't a popular choice, but I think I am going to run a PC power supply for the time being. 12v @ 15 amps seems reasonable? What are the chances I will need more for out of the box cars? The dick smith units look perfect, but are well and truly on the wish list for now. I do see a lot of 13.8v units around, would this be a better option for me at this stage?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I would think that the first option there would work well.

Having the ability to bring the volts down or up, is a pretty nice feature to have though.

It looks like you have your track inside somewhere?

Garage maybe basement??

What ever.... it looks like using copper tape will be OK...now if you were in a tin shed???

John

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi John, the track is under my highset house. Roughly a 5x5 area has been closed in, and up until now was just used for storage. It stays pretty cool down there.

Still a bit of a squeeze in some spots, so more of the junk will have to go.

In regards with the variable power, I was leaning more towards having each station individually adjustable. Apart from myself, the track will be used by my 3yr old daughter, and a host of other kids that will be keen to play. In theory, so I can race at different voltage to the kids. Not 100% sure on how to go about this, but I see a thread here that explains how to make in-line ones for the controller. The wood I am okay with, but the electrical side I am of limited knowledge.

Had a pretty productive day today, and made some good progress. Managed to get the bridge all done, and finished screwing it all down. Undercoat went on late this arv.

n698519096_2675278_2611329.jpgn698519096_2675279_6312190.jpgn698519096_2675282_6153276.jpgn698519096_2675315_2072432.jpg

Looking good Trottster!

You're flying through this...

it probably won't be the last, and I already have a 'if i did it again' list, the mrs will kill me if it turns into a 'next one' list.

Mate, 'round here it's a given!!!!

Continue...

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Zooming along , nothing will get ya outa bed earlier on a Sunday morning than building the track knowing your getting closer and closer to cuttin the first few laps , Im guessing you will run at least 50 laps before you start working on the other lanes

Any one think he will do more ? :blink:

Another good day today, back to work this afternoon, so have had to pull up for the day.

Lanes coloured, and top coats applied. I started to tape the centre lane, and it turns out my 33m roll of tape wasn't quite enough to do the job. Looks like at least another 2 rolls . Which might pull me up for a few days I think, - trying to source tape locally might be a pain. Might make a start on the electrics over the next few days.

**Just picked up some more on ebay, I think it might be one of the guys from Auslot that is selling it?

n698519096_2684137_4351328.jpgn698519096_2684138_2628251.jpgn698519096_2684139_4510455.jpgn698519096_2684140_5102909.jpg

Edited by trotty88

Lanes coloured, and top coats applied. I started to tape the centre lane, and it turns out my 33m roll of tape wasn't quite enough to do the job. Looks like at least another 2 rolls . Which might pull me up for a few days I think, - trying to source tape locally might be a pain.

Try any leadlight supply store. I just bought a 33 meter roll today for $8.55. When I explained what it was for the guy serving me said 'Ohh.. I thought that might be it'. I guess I didn't look like the leadlighting type :lol:

Lanes coloured, and top coats applied. I started to tape the centre lane, and it turns out my 33m roll of tape wasn't quite enough to do the job. Looks like at least another 2 rolls . Which might pull me up for a few days I think, - trying to source tape locally might be a pain.

Try any leadlight supply store. I just bought a 33 meter roll today for $8.55. When I explained what it was for the guy serving me said 'Ohh.. I thought that might be it'. I guess I didn't look like the leadlighting type :lol:

Hi vortex. Thanks for the idea, but I did look locally when I bought my original roll, and without much success. Most requests were met with blank stares, and even the guys at the local model shop had never heard of it. I guess lead lighting isn't a big thing in CQ.

Ok, managed to get some partial laps in, (see above about tape).

After some initial problems with the PSU, I am happy to report now, that all is good.

The only thing stopping me now is the tape (fingers crossed its here today), so I might make a bit more headway with the fencing, and maybe a trip to the hobby shop for some scenery.

I will post some more progress pics tonight.

No tape in the mail today, so lucky enough I managed to find a leadlighting guy who had a roll laying round.

Anyway, I am going to wait for the mail tape to arrive before I do the other 2 lanes, so that will be Monday.

Got a short

to show some action.

Basically I erected temporary fencing for now, and still have a little bit of wiring to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty busy week since my last posts.

All lanes are now wired, and operational. The pink (outer) lane was finished yesterday, and is certainly a lot quicker than I first thought. The other 2 lanes have seen a few hundred laps each already.

I have done away with the 3mm stereo jack, and gone for the alligator clips, as I managed to break a couple of the connector tabs during install.

I have some bits and pieces arriving midweek for the timing side of things, so hopefully that is all operational by next week, also another couple of cars hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Started on a bit of the scenery, but have mostly been running laps. The trees are a test run, and I have only put them in the foam to let them dry. They are out of the way, so they can stay there for now.

I had a mate over yesterday, so we gave it a good workout, but up until now, I have been using either the 3yr old daughter, or the wife as test drivers. The wife resisted at first, then finally one time I asked if she wanted a go she said yes. 1/2 hr later I still couldn't get her off it, and she even began pointing out each cars strengths and weaknesses. She has put her order in for a "pink car", but I am yet to find one, so if anyone knows of something off the shelf please let me know, otherwise the yellow Porsche is getting a paintjob.

All in all, I am happy with the results so far. I have managed to keep the build a secret from a few people who I know will be amazed at the final result, so I am keen to get some sort of final product as quickly as possible.

4197_122366314096_698519096_2770239_1975035_n.jpg4197_122366319096_698519096_2770240_7094956_n.jpg4197_122366324096_698519096_2770241_3601985_n.jpg4197_122366329096_698519096_2770242_4514186_n.jpg4197_122366339096_698519096_2770243_1864895_n.jpg

I have to ask, how do your cars go on the outside lane where you're running pretty close to the wall? Looks like you'd get a bit of contact there against the wall?

Other than that, looks pretty nice!

That looks very well made Trotty, and nice to drive.

You LUCKY LUCKY MAN. you so lucky lucky. - My wife doesn't even acknowledge the existance of the track as she walks through the garage............. never put a controller in her hand, even when half a houseful of family are here for "events"

Easiest thing to get her would be the Slot.it pink "Blauplunkt" Porsche

If you can't find one in a shop, raid Davnic74's place. I think he has every Slot.it ever made.......

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I have to ask, how do your cars go on the outside lane where you're running pretty close to the wall? Looks like you'd get a bit of contact there against the wall?

Other than that, looks pretty nice!

Thanks guys.

Cyph - At the moment there is contact with a few corners in the outside lane if you give it a squirt in the wrong place. The 'fencing' was only a temporary band aid when I got the first lane running. I placed a few of those strips where I thought I would need them, and am yet to do anything else with them. I have some spare MDF to add to those areas around the track, but for now the contact is minimal, and those strips flex a bit.

I figured I would allow the outside lane some corner rubbing as it will be the longest lane. Once I get the timing setup, I can compare some times and worry about it then.

Just been running laps today, I did put another fence in this morning also.