The Moment You're All Not Waiting For

Ember

The little plastic plan....

The track is Scaley analogue.

The table is 3.5m by 1.5m.

The space is limited.

The plan is TyersTarga.jpg

The elevation variation is 300mm all up.

The proposed scenery is definite Australian countryside. Inspired by my local area, redgum savana, grassland and rock. It's intended as a Targa style track.

I know the table is quite wide, but marshalling shouldn't be too bad a problem even though it's up against a wall. The danger spots can all be reached without too much of an issue. Hardest part will be landscaping over the area. I tried sketching the plan for the scenery, but I'll have to put more time in it for it to make sense to the outside world.

Back straight (base of image) will be hightest point. Switch back setup, from there. The three straights are all at different levels, with the angled one being on the base level. From there it climbs around the loop up to the highest point. The only part I'm not happy with is the area marked in grey, but I feel I have to leave this in as it's the main contribution to design from my partner (well other than smart ass remarks about blue gum plantations for scenery).

I've tested this layout on the floor for about 6 weeks and it's a fun challenge. It's difficult to resist the temptation to push too hard on the back straight. I figure this track could eventually convert to digital.

So. That's the plan. The table has been installed and will fold against the wall along the edge with the straight. The journey has commenced.

Embs

Edited by Ember

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Aussie outback countryside is officially the new must have. :(

Oh no. Defintely not outback!

Around here the dominant flavours are:

Squattocracy 0 crops, sheep, cattle and bluegums.

volcanic plains - basalt, scoria, rabbits and rock farmers.

Or Grampians - sandstone, sand, banksia, eucalypts, national park.

I'm thinking more rocky outcrops and winding backroads.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hey Ember, plan looks good.

If marshaling the middle turns out to be an issue, you could cut into the front centre area where there is no actually track - provided you build the frame set back from the front edge.

You wouldn't know the history, but a certain member here took a year or 3 to build his track, then never did anyway, he eventually bought one off another member.

The favourite "sport" around here after a hard day, was to find a way to work into the reply for anything he had said

Build your &!^#&!&!#%# track Eno"

I was kind of hoping we might have found a replacement "victim", but never mind......one will turn up :( :lol:;)

Dick - we might have our own down-under version of Natalie here........

Ember, track-building-Slot-ladies are a mite thin on the ground - but so you know you're not alone

"here's one we prepared earlier" http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forum...nto+girl+bridge

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Aussie outback countryside is officially the new must have. :(

Oh no. Defintely not outback!

Around here the dominant flavours are:

Squattocracy 0 crops, sheep, cattle and bluegums.

volcanic plains - basalt, scoria, rabbits and rock farmers.

Or Grampians - sandstone, sand, banksia, eucalypts, national park.

I'm thinking more rocky outcrops and winding backroads.

Embs

My bad probably shouldnt have said outback. Just natural Aus bushland. For me its trees and cows.

Hey Ember, plan looks good.

If marshaling the middle turns out to be an issue, you could cut into the front centre area where there is no actually track - provided you build the frame set back from the front edge.

Don't think it should be too much of a problem. If it is, there's always one of those claw on a stick thinggies for the vertically challenged among us. Oh, that'd be me. Oh well.

You wouldn't know the history, but a certain member here took a year or 3 to build his track, then never did anyway, he eventually bought one off another member.

The favourite "sport" around here after a hard day, was to find a way to work into the reply for anything he had said

Build your &!^#&!&!#%# track Eno"

I was kind of hoping we might have found a replacement "victim", but never mind......one will turn up

Ahh. But I do like a challenge. :P Narh. It was already underway. Been planning something along the lines since Feb. Been testing layouts since Xmas. Just managed to get the hang of Slotman enough to record what had been on the floor in time to rip it all to bits to put it on the new drop down table. Add to the time before Xmas spent getting the other half enthused with the idea, and the 5 mins extra spent after Xmas. He's definitely hooked.

Ember, track-building-Slot-ladies are a mite thin on the ground - but so you know you're not alone

"here's one we prepared earlier"

'Sok. Had the same problem when I was a BBS sysop in the old days. We're around, you've just got to find us.

Already I've discovered... If you build it they will come... Have that many of His Lordships mates lining up to play. None of their ladies understand at all. I don't care. They are the ones missing out!

Will keep you posted. Photos are due as soon as I've got the elevations setup.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

It's all in my head at the moment. Should be out and about to get some source stuff over the Easter weekend.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Good stuff Ember!

My 2c worth:

I found it very helpful to print off my track plan several times and make notes on it, of what scenery I wanted where. I also got a pack of large post-it notes and sketched in 3D my impression of what I thought I wanted at each section of track and stuck them to another page. These sketches were my way of incorporating my track shape and pictures of Bathurst scenery, and I later used them as the plan when carving foam. I would then go back to the track plan and draw in the features and the direction of the land slope. I believe it helped make the scenery link together, although now looking back I can now see I have some unrealistic scenery elements, some I can fix and some I have to live with.

I don't know how broadly you have been reading, but Tileguy has suggested that a track needs a key or main feature of scenery that sets the theme of your track, that catches people's eye and ties everything together.

Have you seen Brad Korando's track?

What method are you going to use to build your scenery?

Edited by KarKraft

Have you seen Brad Korando's track?

Will have to look into that one. Is it in the archives here at all?

What method are you going to use to build your scenery?

Essentially the cheap method. FRocks are looking good for the sandstone cliff faces. Styrofoam is looking lik a strong possibility for the rest of the land forming, probably with a thin layer of papier mache over the top for some strength. I know it's fairly early days for me to set a track in concrete and I'd like everything to be as re-usable as possible if this one doesn't work out or loses its charm. I also figured it'd pay to keep the surfaces as soft as possible to allow for novice drivers and the destructive youngsters that are attached to some of them.

Still researching landscape construction possibilities. Learning heaps from reading posts here and various train sources. I even have access to some train buffs here in town that might prove beneficial at times. One of them drives a limo for me periodically, so if he wants to keep driving for pocket money I'm sure he'll help with tips. :nice:

Trial and error is probably still one of the best teaching methods tho.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

:nice: OMG! I think I'll just chuck all the plastic bits back in their boxes now!!

Had a quick flick through the first thread. OMG! Gonna have some reading to do into the wee small hours, I can see that. The first couple of pics had him pegged as an architect tho'.

I'll just slink off into my corner now...

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Essentially the cheap method. FRocks are looking good for the sandstone cliff faces. Styrofoam is looking lik a strong possibility for the rest of the land forming, probably with a thin layer of papier mache over the top for some strength. I know it's fairly early days for me to set a track in concrete and I'd like everything to be as re-usable as possible if this one doesn't work out or loses its charm. I also figured it'd pay to keep the surfaces as soft as possible to allow for novice drivers and the destructive youngsters that are attached to some of them.

Embs

Be careful with paper mache. I used it last time and found mice liked to eat it!!!

I will be using plaster cloth this time

Looks like great potential to me, Embs, particularly for a scenic-ed layout.

If you lay it 'vanilla' first (as you no doubt will), you'll get the running right before you invest time and $s in scenery. Then, if marshaling is an issue, you can always eat into the foreground.

Gotta say I love it on paper but...

And it's gonna be hard to resist a plea for an invite when it's done so... Yikes, looks like I've got yet another trip into the wilds of Victoria (and the pressures of watching the speedo more than the road) some time in the future :nice:.

Still, a Canberra, Orbost, Hamilton, Finley road trip would be a hellava thing to do before the Peugeot does what all froggy cars were designed to do... :lol:

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Be careful with paper mache. I used it last time and found mice liked to eat it!!!

I will be using plaster cloth this time

Noted for reference. The 'bungalow' (read 7m single bay garage) that it's housed in is well sealed, lined with chipboard flooring and built on stumps. Mice shouldn't be a problem, but who knows. Well aware that papier mache can have a whole bunch of problems if not treated right. May yet go down the plaster route.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Looks like great potential to me, Embs, particularly for a scenic-ed layout.

If you lay it 'vanilla' first (as you no doubt will), you'll get the running right before you invest time and $s in scenery. Then, if marshaling is an issue, you can always eat into the foreground.

Been running it at ground level for about 6 weeks, tweaking here and there as it goes. But of course, there's the distinct advantage in reach on the floor, ie) if you can't reach you can always put the size 6 in the middle as you reach across. Most risky part at the back is the spot where the diagonal straight passes under the rise. Oh, and the rise itself. It is pretty major and covers the full height in that loop. But its fun to drive, even fun to watch others drive. It's hard not to give in to temptation and apply too much power too soon going up that rise of about 250mm in such a short space.

Gotta say I love it on paper but...

But... C'mon. Out with it... I can take it. <Trying to stop lip from trembling in trepidation>

Still, a Canberra, Orbost, Hamilton, Finley road trip would be a hellava thing to do before the Peugeot does what all froggy cars were designed to do...

Now there's a road trip. And you just never know with those surrender monkey cars. :)

I keep getting promised a trip to Canberra. My partner lived there for a few years about 15-20 ago. He's been back many times driving coach loads of school kids. I've yet to get there myself. Probably a visit all Aussies should make. After all, we help pay for the place.

I might have to get your advice/assistance on placement of trees. :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

But... C'mon. Out with it... I can take it. <Trying to stop lip from trembling in trepidation>

Er, the conversational ending type 'but', as in 'though', or 'y'know' or 'n'that'. The ellipsis is prob'ly a bit wrong :(

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

Er, the conversational ending type 'but', as in 'though', or 'y'know' or 'n'that'. The ellipsis is prob'ly a bit wrong :(

Like... fer shure. S'ok. I'll let you get away with that. I guess.

Whatever happened to the English language?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Track laid out and elevated for primary testing. Seems to work be working well. Might need at least one power tap dropped in. Seems some small amount of drop out on the high straight.

Tracktests.jpg

Why do these photos alway seem to include beer bottles? :aussie: Shame on me that it's bought stuff.

The SCX Aero8 does enjoy the run along the top straight, then gets all out of shape down the hill and round that corner with the little rise a the bottom right of screen.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg