Fleischmann Slotcar Tracks

Vinno

Hi Guy's it's been a while since I have posted a new topic but with the lovely 48.9 degrees C temperatures experienced yesterday in sunny smokey Penrith I thought there was not a lot else to do but stay indoors and hope the Air conditioning kept working and play slot cars.

We sold up our house in August and are renting a mates house until the new one is built in the Wollongong area. Until then I am renting my Mountain Bike buddy Gus's rental which came with a slot car benefit. My mate is Dutch although has lived in Australia since his teens but it just so happened he had a Fleischmann Slot Car set sitting idle in the back bedroom. Gus got this when he was 10 years old and the set is now 40 and still in amazing condition having lived the last 30 years in the box.

Fleischmann3.jpg

Fleischmann only made slot car sets for 10 years which is a pity as they were very well made. They were more of a trainset manufacturer.

Thankfully Gus also had some extra straights, enough that I couldn't fit them in the space I had. As seems to be the norm for tracks with banked corners I couldn't use GT Cars or anything really apart from a sedan or Trans Am. It would have been nice to have a few more flat corners

The track is similar to Carrera in the type of plastic it is made from but maybe a little more flexible which meant it is not at all brittle and able to stand the years it has. The pieces were still perfectly flat and the rails spot on. The rails are mounted within a plastic groove so they can short out like Scalextric classic and SCX. The connection is perfect and the conductivity was very good considering it's age. All I did was wipe it down with a damp cloth, dry it and run a rag with WD40 on it around and then wipe that off. It would be fair to say it is every bit as good as the new Slot.it track although missing some radii for the corners.

Fleischmann1.jpg

I used my wiring loom from my routed track that is in storage at the moment and just plugged it into the connection points on the track. The lap timer wasn't working but I will probably fix it when I move into the new house and set it up for the grand kids on a board. It seems they thought of everthing and the couter comes with a cover over it that is screwed on. Maybe this is why they pulled the pin on the slot cars all those years ago.

The grip was fantastic and worked with MJK, Slot.it, NSR and even standard Scalextric tyres on my Moffat XY Falcon. The only thing I don't like about the track is the barriers on the inside of the banked corners. It was too easy to come in and have the rear drop into the barrier under braking with the bank of the corner. It was better to run low braking so the rear stayed a little straighter. I also knocked the front spoiler off my Moffat Mustang Trans Am car just because the baking was so tight. I won't fix that until the routed track is up and running in the new house.

Fleischmann2.jpg

The original cars both still ran and even had some grip surprisingly but they need a good service before they get to run properly. Today I can't move, the joys of getting older and sitting on the floor for a couple of house crawling aroud picking up cars and drinking beer.

Before I get it running in the new house I am going to chase up some extra flat corners and see if I can get the outer radius corners also that Gus tells me were available also. At least I have something to run my cars on until I move.

So if you see a Fleischmann track sitting idle snap it up they are brilliant sets.

Vinno

I had heard it was good, but had never read anything about it in detail.

There must still be a fair bit of it in use in Europe in clubs even now, for Slot.it to have made an adapter between Fleishmann and Policar.

It is 90mm spacing, like the original Polistil, and Ninco.

On another front - as we hear and see the news about the fires every day, and know there were some up in the blue mountains, been wondering if they are anywhere near you or any of your club guys Vince?

Bad jokes about aussies have certainly gone on hold here as we see how bad things are across the country for you all.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Mark thanks about the adaptor I might get one and buy some Polistil track to get some corner variation.

The Great Western Highway side of the Blue Mountains has so far been lucky although has some scarey times early on in Blackheath and Wentworth Falls. The Bell Side this the North has not been so lucky with a lot of damage around Bilpin and Mount Tomah. The Great Western side is the more populated side so they are very nervous as the fires get closer to the townships all the way up the mountains Evey time the North Westerlies blow hard which is every couple of days.

I am living in Penrith which is across the Nepean River from the mountains so more suburbia. It was the hottest place on earth on Saturday. Where I am building is OK at present but there is bush up the hill and the way these fires are going we can’t see an end to them.

You wonder if it will pretty much wipe out every bit of bush as there seems no end in site? And with that is a lot of the towns that come close to the bush or have a pocket of bush as you not only have ember attacks from fires when the wind is strong but dry lightning from the weather created by the fire and idiots who go in and light fires for fun.

We are hoping the monsoon rains come to WA, NT and Qld so we get some humidity to generate decent rain.

So that’s how it looks here but we have a couple of days reprieve at the moment with some cooler weather so that will give the fairies some rest as they are exhausted.

It's just awful Vince. . . . . we are bog-eyed, seeing the reports each night on the news, seeing Auckland city turn red with the smoke blown across the ditch.

The thing you would want is code P046-2 (two adapters) - one to Policar; one coming back

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: