Backo's First Permanent Layout

Backo

After wanting a "proper" slot car set ever since I was a child, I ended up lashing out and buying a Carrera Evolution set a couple of years ago for the kids and I to muck around with. This went well for a while until a controller died and I soon forgot about the small setup in the shed.

While away for work, I came across a shop selling the Carrera Cars 3 set. I thought it would make an excellent addition to the original track, as well as gaining some kid proof cars and that elusive extra controller required.

uYVnIgh.jpg

The kids were ecstatic to say the least. Unfortunately we didn't have time to set it up that day and the kids had to wait a bit longer. Well, the next day I stumbled across a local shop that sells models & footy memorabilia. As it turns out, they also sell Carrera stuff. Needless to say, I didn't go home empty handed. I splurged on the new GT Triple Power set.

g6JI5QU.jpg

Well that went really well on the floor in the living room for a week until the wife decided enough was enough and we had to pack it away. Well, I'm not one to just pack my toys away and not use them so a trip to Bunnings and some quality shed time was in order. Two days later I had this nice table knocked up.

Zih71Ob.jpg

fJRLA10.jpg

Now we have somewhere permanent and large enough to set up something really nice. Just ignore the mess. Between work, kids sport and RC racing, there isnt much time to clean out the shed. Besides, that's a job for warmer weather. I just cant wait to get this little beauty on the track.

bJ4ltDC.jpg

• Upvote 3

Good start, looking forward to seeing your imagination run wild.

I got my layout finished today. I've cut a few laps, its not too bad to drive but I hate R1 corners :lol: :lol:

The layout will change when I get some R2 & R3 curves and I also made the rookie error of having the drivers stations in the table cutout. I'll have to swap it to the other straight so I can see past the kids heads & visa versa. The cutout will be great for marshaling though. Luckily my kids love to marshal crashed cars plus there is the added bonus that they don't have to run as far as they do at the RC track.

Lane length is over 16m. Now I need ideas for timing & race management. Scenery will begin once I settle on a layout.

p0NYX9x.jpg

bTg6IJ6.jpg

QMFxwCH.jpg

v1mwDV0.jpg

Looking good Backo.

Sounds like you have able support there for timing and rewiring from fomoco.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Backo, I'm wondering the approximate cost of the supporting table you built? I like it, simple but functional. I have a table I built from materials that were lying around but something like what you did would be better.

Are you thinking of running the digital components? I also bought a digital Carrera set, but ran only analog for the first 6 months, took a deep breath and put the digital bits in. I can't see myself taking them back out, except I do plan to modify the CU for dual analog/digital use as I don't really want to chip all the cars. Of course you can just swap the digital track pieces in or out as well, just watch the polarity though as I am not sure if the Lane Changers are polarity protected (Seems silly that they wouldn't be from factory but I've heard reports of blown pit lanes and so am flying with caution)

There is also a guy on the NSW Carrera Drivers Facebook page selling some track pieces at the moment, think hes in VIctoria, might be worth contacting him if you are thinking of buying more track pieces depending on where you live. (I'd love to buy some pieces off him but the timing isn't right :( )

Steve.

Thanks Fomoco, much appreciated.

Thanks SLotsNZ, and I will need that help lol.

Slotspeed, the table cost me just under $200 in materials bought from Bunnings. The frame is 75x35 and the legs are 100x50. The top is 12mm MDF and I also have a 3mm sheet for borders not yet put up.

Yes, in time I plan on adding the digital pieces in. The only part in the set was a double changeover so for now I'm not too fussed.

When I do add them in, I'll add a switch to change between analogue & digital and leave them both setup permanently. I have read how to do it on the Slotforum International site and it seems relatively easy.

I spoke to that bloke as well regarding more track. The timing wasn't right for me either but when it was, the value of the digital set was much better. In fact, the price I bought the set for was the cheapest I've seen nationwide, with the added bonus that this shop is in my home town.

Interesting, I couldn't anything defiinitive in Slotforum, had to get different bits of information about if from different sources, eventually the main thing I was worried about was whether the lane changers etc mind having modulated DC when running in analog, apparently they are fine according to the guru. Surprised that one guy thinks he blew his pitlane (not sure if he means the sensor or the lane changer-into pit) because of accidental reverse polarity. Not sure if that one is a furphy, because for a consumer product, or any product, I find it hard to believe that they didn't bother putting in a protection diode. Maybe I'll pull the Lane Change and pit sensor sections apart and have a look at the PCB's.

Rick fields might be able to help,Scorpius wireless controller has track change built in and works with race coordinator

That's a different system. Dual use Carrera isn't hard, its just that the whole thing is made to sound harder than it is by a bit of misinformation out there.

Sorry Slotspeed, here is the link.

https://www.slotforu...c=50206&page=1#

Hey Backo,

Yeah had seen that one. That is one way to do it. There are other ways.There is conflicting information about whether the lane changers have the lanes bridged internally. Perhaps it is just in the pitlane. I have seen photos of Carrera digital lane changers with an internal connection bridging the lanes, though there are reports that some don't have this. So that means you may or may not have to cut the connection if it exists. I won't be doing that until I'm ready to run some extra jumpers around the track. And figure out a timing system. Or not, as I have had an idea for this for a while, a bit of trickery to keep the Carrera compatible RMS instead of installing another timing system. (Slotbaer/Stephan Hass has also described how to do this but my idea is a bit different) Hoping to try it soon, but with small kids its unpredictable as to when that will be.

Cheers.

I edited the comment about the bridging of the lanes, I need to see what type I have in my set.

Edited by Slotspeed

Looking into this further, I find that the dual Digital/Analog conversion is more complex than I first thought. The main problem is that cars without a polarity reversal switch (i.e. anything except Carrera) will run in the opposite direction if you stick to the same polarity as Carrera digital. May not be a problem if you are happy to run in the opposite direction for analog.

Other options rely a lot of switch or relay contacts or rewiring things to implement a system that will run the same direction for analog.

Edited by Slotspeed

That's great for Carrera analog cars but for me the point of dual use Analog/Digital use is to run analog cars from other makes. There is a very easy solution for running analog cars in the opposite direction (pretty much just a DPDT switch) which is perfect as you say fomoco, if you have Carrera only but getting them to run in the same direction for other makes may take a bit more work, put simply if you are running a pitlane it complicates things (depending on the revision as well), but if you are not running one then its easier. Some people have separated the electronics from the rails and switched them in or out depending on the Analog or Digital mode. Just wiring, switches and/or relay contacts, all do-able but a bit of work.