3D Printing Car Bodies

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes.

Been away for while, almost gave it all up a few years back but now I have renewed love for my Slots.

With my 3D printer correctly setup, finally after a year of tinkering, I now search the web for hard to find cars, clean them up and 3D print them.

Found a very nice HQ Monaro and SS LX Hatch Torana too.

I've done a few Can-Am cars lately but I came across these recently.

I'll be cleaning them up over the next week and make the STL files.

If anyone is interested in printing them them selves, I'm happy to share.

VK Commo

43145d43-12ff-4fbc-ae90-3dbf998934f4-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Datto 510 (this model was provided by David from RMS Resins, Thanks Mate)

16a48ce0-8416-4391-958a-7b26ac7b29cf-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Cheers

NimROD

Edited by NimROD444
  • Upvote 1

Hi All,

@David - Any Scale you want Mate

I printed a two door version but it was actually a 4 door body

I have a much better high resolution version now.

2017-04-27%20VV%20mobile%20dump%2025.07.18%20001.jpg

2017-04-27%20VV%20mobile%20dump%2025.07.18%20003.jpg

@Munter - The quality comes from the High resolution Model and the 3D printers Z layers, which FDM printers can do at 0.05mm layers

Here are some prints from a Corvair and the Datto

It's the same as dealing with a resin body, a little prep, paint, decal & race.

65281d8c-40f2-4ecb-9779-ce768ffc9aa6-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

69467e05-4696-49bc-b148-9e466777602f-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

0ea56bc8-4f52-4877-89aa-267a0ceef79d-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

3edf3e09-cf43-48fa-a1b6-78126b08c0fd-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The great part is any car is now available.

We've done a number of CAN-AM cars already, March 707, Ferrari 712, AutoCoast Ti22, BRM P154 & P167, Lola T260, Shadow DN4 & MKII and others, that are hard to find.

They guys are using printed chasis with Slot-it pods, etc

If you can find the 3D file, it may take anywhere from 20min. to 2 days to cleanup and make ready to print

Pic of Steve's Shadow

0ef3753b-2960-4d8a-8097-42540a598f6f-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The cost of a 3D printer is around the $300 or less mark, Rolls of filament approx. $20 (10 to 12 bodies depending on size). The Ender 3 especially has a large following and many are getting great results.

If your one to tinker with your cars, expect a little tinkering too but not much. Once setup you can print scenery, people, anything, heaps of stuff on the net.

Now you don't have to miss out on the cars you want.

Note: I am not affiliated with any 3D printing, Printer or Filament companies (i have a Wombot).

There is a F100 waiting for a clean up.

Cheers

NimROD

Edited by NimROD444
  • Upvote 2

Would you be willing to share a 1:32 STL file for me to try.

Hi All,

@ZeGas & Munter - I did not create any of these original 3D files, just searched the web for all of them.

Some have been heavily modified to increase details, others just cleaned up to a shell.

You will need to re-scale the model to 1/32, they are close, but I did not have the correct 1/32 dimensions when creating the STL file.

Most bodies are approx. 1.2mm thick and they print very well, my printer can do thinner models but some people have been getting failed prints going thinner.

I'm now trying to make them like kits, with the engine detail and wings etc.

@David - you and anyone else, can have copy of the STL when it's ready.

IMHO, I can't and shouldn't profit from other peoples work and i'd hope others wont either if I share the files.

I only ask that you share photo's of the prints and of the finished models.

If you have a printer and will print the bodies for others, you should charge for the material and electricity, as some take 12hours, but i'll leave that up to you.

I just want everyone to be able to get the cars they love and want to see around their tracks.

A good example, Alfa 33 periscopica too damn expensive to try and get one nowaday, but I have a nice 3D file of it to be released soon.

The great thing is, you can finish the models anyway you want.

PM me and i'll send you a full list and a few files over the weekend and feel free to share them too.

Cheers

NimROD

Edited by NimROD444
  • Upvote 1

Thank Vinno,

It's good to be back and contribute something instead of just lurking.

Almost gave slots away a few years back, then I got the printer, it's taken me while to get it print to it's best.

Once I started looking at the free models available, unbelievable, nearly any and every car is available in 3D.

Unfortunately, you need to put it through a few processes to a point it can be printed

So far I'm enjoying the hunt for cars noone makes or which are too expensive for the budget slotter like me.

Vinno in two years time, you'll be printing much quicker and probably at a much higher resolution.

My printer is already almost 4 years old and still up with the best sofar, but the new ones are so much cheaper for the same high quality.

Maybe next step will be buying a resin printer, but I hear the bodies are too fragile, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

NimROD

Edited by NimROD444

I like what you are doing NimROD - A mate bought one of the Aldi printers and we plan to print a body or two that you have sent me once he sets it up.

Myself - for now I am waiting before I buy a 3D printer - my wallet has taken a battering over the years because I was an early adopter of technology.

When the laser printer equivalent (if you think of current 3D printers as being a dot matrix printer) is inexpensive to buy I might look into getting one then.

Until then I will collect ideas and resources and play around with friends printers :)

NimROD, I am mainly interested in modern GT3 cars that no one else makes.

For instance, Bentley GT3 MarkII (2019), Lexus RC F gt3, Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019), Nissan GT-R Nismo (2019), Acura/Honda NSX GT3, McLaren 650S. GT3. Would you able to find 3d files for these cars for free, and to print and ship to NZ?

I would love to set up a 3d printing shop here in auckland but at the moment time is at premium.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

@DM - Hiya Mate, Yeah it's great stuff, your right, they are already producing much faster resin quality printers already and just recently I saw how dual head printers will print two materials, one can be soluble for supports.

It's also nice having access to almost any car you can think of, so many free 3D models out there. I like finding the cars no-one makes then getting it out there for everyone.

@Grunz - I can help search for them, but I would expect Scalextric and Carrera would definitely be making these cars in the near future, there pretty committed to the GT3 cars.

I'll see what I can find. I have been looking at some LMP cars though, if they are of any interest.

As for printing, I could but you'll be waiting for a while, I have 15 projects ahead of you.

Cheers

NimROD

Hi All,

PM me your Email if interested.

Here is the full list available; (Bodies not fully tested show *)

The bodies are not exactly to 1/32 scale, you will need to find the correct dimensions and scale the model in your slicer software before printing.

Alfa 33-3

Autocoast Ti22

BRM P154

BRM 167

Chevy Corvair *

Datsun 510

Ferrari 312P

Ferrari 712M

Ford P68 *

Lola T160 *

Lola T163 *

Lola T260

Lola T333 *

March 707

Maserati Birdcage *

McLaren M6GT

Pontiac GPrix 2+2

Porsche 917-10 *

Shadow DN4

Shadow MKII

Bodies by others;

Caparral 2J

PM me your Email if interested.

Cheers

NimROD

hi Nimrod

As for the LMP (if from the last three years - Audi, Porsche, Toyota, and some of the privateers of the last couple of years) could be interesting.

As for the GT3, I think Scalex and Carrera will take a couple of years. Maybe Scaleauto will beat them...but still if you could look into some of those models would be really great.

I am not in a hurry...

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

If possible to find, the 2nd gen e-prix cars would be nice.

1555667682893.jpg

Hi All,

@GRUNZ - These cars are a little more intricate then the ones I've been working on, it would mean breaking it down to a number of pieces, just like a model kit.

Cleaning up a model from 20 min. to 2 days, these would take much longer cos you will need to edit pieces to add connection areas.

I'm just a hack, you need someone with more patience and a higher skill level than me ;)

But there are plenty of models out there.

34ab9ef5-cf0b-4bad-aa14-18fb2fbf1cbf-original.jpg?width=800&height=600&fit=bounds

@ZeGas - Everything is on the net, just gotta find it.

Here is th Gen 2.

14da25f3-267d-4215-99f2-95120c4a4c4f-original.jpg?width=800&height=600&fit=bounds

The following model took an hour to find, then 4 bits of software to convert it to a workable model, I'll be using a couple more software packages to get a higher resolution mesh and better details.

09b592f6-4ad0-41a0-b695-778a78fba945-original.jpg?width=600&height=400&fit=bounds

a3122e41-57eb-4583-af00-9636bdbeec95-original.jpg?width=800&height=600&fit=bounds

Cheers

NimROD

Hi Nimrod,

You got me the bug again, was stale there for a while, yes, I started searching and found a couple of Formula E on thingyverse.

Just got to work out the best software to trim and hollow the models.

Have installed Autodesks Mesh-mixer but still trying to navigate it.

I've printed out the Corvair you sent and you're right, it is very thin and split in a couple of places, but that's OK I lined the splits with superglue and will give it a coating with casting resin to strengthen it up.

It is well detailed and the details printed well.

I'll post a few photos when I get a chance.

Trying the print again with different settings, but pretty happy with first cut.

Found a couple of others on the net too that look good.

@ZeGas - Yep all this 3D Printing stuff is great, a lot of friends have printed people, porta potties, candy stands, etc for their track scenery.

There is a great collection of real people scanned in to STL files, really look great.

The Corvair was a test to see how much detail we could keep without losing the body thickness, it's very close.

Some printers are fine with the thin walls others need them a little thicker, 1.2mm has worked well but external detail will suffer a little.

I'm in the process of working out how to keep the high details and thicken the shell from the inside only.

I'm still learning, but want to make sure the prints I offer work 100% of the time.

@Wobble - Yep, That was exactly what it was for. The Guy already had the Scaley 86' Nascars and wanted something a little different.

In the end I think he just printed the front end and did a little surgery.

I found this 73' Monty for another guy, I believe it was also a Nascar, excuse my ignorance please.

265fd43c-44ec-4962-a940-b5d2e1a612fc-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Cheers

NimROD

Hi All,

@GRUNZ - Thanks Mate, It can be done, but it does take time. Also you would get a much better finish using a DLP resin printer, but I'm not sure how strong the print would be. We can give one a go and see the results, if your happy to wait a couple of weeks.

Let me know which car you want to start with.

Here are more examples of what I'm offering:

7d5780fc-8a5a-4425-95c0-6ae5fddde410-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

912034c7-1cce-446e-b819-b73967b62ea9-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

9a71cf05-e70b-4e62-a87e-8c2a68087e4f-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

ad12ee2f-f1bb-4635-8a84-c8e9305e4588-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Oh, and if your into gaming of a different type, 25mm miniatures, etc

A lot of people are printing spare parts for their RC cars too, no limits.

Girl printed at 0.05mm layers, space ship behind printed in 0.1mm layers

2017-01-22%20VV%20mobile%20dump%2025.07.18%20001.jpg

Cheers

NimROD

Well have you got me going or what, I have just taken one of Garry's STL's (Mustang GT) and setting it up for 3D printing using meshmixer.

Will post once complete if thats OK with you NimRod.