Scalextric On Carrera Digital Track

jjgrubb

So Im wondering what the options are when it comes to converting a Scalextric car to a Carrera digital track, I know theres the Carson chip available but are there other options that dont cost $80 posted?

https://race.cincyslots.com/shop-124-132-slot-car-carrera-scalextric-ninco-fly-cars-analog-digital-nsr-slot-race-set-track-evolution-exclusiv-rehnbahn-sloter-nascar-monogram-controller/carson-cr500707130-carrera-digital-132-chip-for-scalextric-dpr/

This is the chip im speaking of for anyone not familiar

Edited by jjgrubb

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

Hi Jason,

There are many options, no you don't need to buy an expensive aftermarket decoder. If it will fit in the chassis then you can use one of the Carrera ones which are available locally for about AU$40 or there are other options. The Carson chip is probably the most expensive option. The slot.it type C chip does a Carrera mode, though you need to use an app to load the correct firmware into it and its probably also expensive and difficult to find. There are other commercial options but also expensive. There is one other option if you get stuck finding a small decoder which involves a lot of detailed surface mount soldering! Let me know if you want help with the latter option, I can't do many of them though as I value my long term eyesight!

Steve.

• Upvote 1

Yeah nah Oxygen is not Carrera compatible. It needs a Carrera controller plugged into the Carrera black box with the lane change button held down. Not exactly “compatible”.

• Upvote 1

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

It will go, stop and count laps on Carrera but cannot change lanes. The reason is it works differently from SSD where lane changing is handled by car. With Carrera lane changing is a function of the powerbase.

At best you can make another system semi compatible but to say it is fully Carrera compatible is pure fantasy.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

See the video from minute 6: the car has a slot.it digital C chip.

Once the chip is programmed with the Carrera firmware through the phone app it is controlled by a standard carrera controller and can count laps and change lanes...it is all there in the video.

I would say that is as compatible as it can get...one chip to rule them all.

Edited by GRUNZ

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

The demo is using a standard Carrera controller, so as long as the LC phototransistor receives the car ID it will actuate the flipper when the button is pressed. I can't find any reference in the chip manual to holding down a controller button with tape (as was discussed on another forum) I also can't quite remember the ins and outs of that discussion (perhaps something to do with using an Oxigen controller?) and I also couldn't find it again!

Slotspeed, the holding down of the lc button of a carrera controller for ID 4 is when one wants to use a car chipped with a standard oxigen chip paired to an oxigen controller.

Such a car will be changing lanes on carrera lane changers but the communication between the car and the controller is not via the standard carrera protocol.

If you want to read a bit more have a look here: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156170&hl=carrera2oxigen

The chip C is a completely different beast in that respect as the video shows (thanks to greg [mr flippant] for the great video) and is truly compatible.

Cheers

G

Thanks Grunz, I did later go back and did find the mentioned threads on Slotforum, but there was little bits of information distributed over many posts and even different threads, so thanks for putting it into a little nugget of information. I have a few more questions but will have another dig at that linked thread before asking! Cheers.

Thanks Grunz, I did later go back and did find the mentioned threads on Slotforum, but there was little bits of information distributed over many posts and even different threads, so thanks for putting it into a little nugget of information. I have a few more questions but will have another dig at that linked thread before asking! Cheers.

That is why we share information. Let me know if I can help.

Cheers

G

That is why we share information. Let me know if I can help.

Hi Grunz,

Had a think about it and realised it (that being the Oxigen system before the type C chip, I guess it was type B ) would probably work if the in car ID is generated only when the Oxigen chip is told to by the wireless controller. Then if the Carrera button is held down constantly then the car will change lanes only when both conditions are met. Obviously in this case the motor speed is controlled by the Oxigen receiver/decoder independantly of the Carrera system and the signal on the rails is ignored.

Was easier to think of that idea than to read back through those threads.

I don't know why Mr Slot.it didn't just ship some 6pin MMJ connectors with the corresponding button contacts closed to plug into the CU instead of suggesting holding the button down with tape. In fact I suggested that to him. I work in electronics myself and we do interesting things all the time to get slightly incompatible systems to work together.

My interest in this is purely for curiosities sake, electronics is my thing I suppose.

Thanks,

Steve.

Edit: I just read the post by Mr Flippant from 19/04/2018 and my first guess on how it would work was correct haha.

Edited by Slotspeed

jjgrub, did you decide on a chip to try? I already have a source of decoders, but if I didn't, I would probably buy a genuine Carrera chip and wire it into the Scalextric car. Since all the other off the shelf options are expensive. The little switch on the board can be used to convert the car to analog if you decide you want to run on analog tracks from time to time.

jjgrub, did you decide on a chip to try? I already have a source of decoders, but if I didn't, I would probably buy a genuine Carrera chip and wire it into the Scalextric car. Since all the other off the shelf options are expensive. The little switch on the board can be used to convert the car to analog if you decide you want to run on analog tracks from time to time.

For the one off I purchased one of the ones that I linked but for future cars I do think wiring in the genuine Carrera will be a much better idea.

Because not every car I own will continue to be Carrera I want to buy what I like...

Not that I need more cars but lets be honest more will be had lol

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

• 2 weeks later...

jjGrub

Of course, you could always buy some Carrera digital cars you don't need, but you think may be popular, and re-sell them as analogue cars having purloined the chip for your future needs.

- There may be users here who have bought Carrera digital cars to get the car, and removed the chip themselves, which you could acquire - maybe worth putting a post up on the buy/sell area.

You might even find a partner or two in crime who you could do deals with in future.

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: