Elfin Me5 Dimensions

lenny broke

Thanks Alan,

I saw some plan drawings posted elsewhere so I thought I'd have a crack at making a body in sheet styrene. Once I know the wheelbase I'll resize the drawings and use them for templates.

Cheers Alan

These are from the original RCN drawings.

I built mine at 75mm wheelbase.

I could only scale from the Scale printed on the original drawing,the scale seems to have been omitted from the articles.

I have been told that the front of the car in the drawing is too narrow, But never managed to find the correct from width.

One of the local drivers thought the drawing was a bit out.

Must find my body, it is a relative easy build from Styrene,BUT add some ribs inside to stop the sides pulling in as the glue dries.

Elfin-Me5.jpg

Edited by kalbfellp

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses

Chris, that was the same post I got the plan drawings from, they didn't give any dimensions unfortunately. Maybe it was already scale to 1/32 when published originally.

Phil thanks for that scan. I printed it out and ran a ruler over it and interestingly the maximum width across the back axle line is 60mm the same as most of the slot it classic sports range, though the wheel base stretches out to 77mm which might be pushing the realms of scale credibility, No worse than a thunderslot but!!

Thanks for the tip on the ribs. I had thought about today. I might try a partial clamshell style body witha bit off a"tumble home running under the lower sill line

I just remembered I know someone who I think knows the current owner of the car so I may be able to get them straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Also I think a relative posts on a FB page I frequent.

Cheers Alan

I can remember it being a bit bigger than the 400, I did ask Tony Edmonson if he new the actual ones in dimensions but he never got back to me.

The dimensions on my drawing were scaled from the original published drawings published ion RCN, seems all the drawings are from the same source.

Trevor Lambert is usually most helpful with supplying information.

Edited by kalbfellp

Hi Phil and Lenny.

When you consider people are saying the Thunderslot M6a is up to 15-20% bigger in some dimensions (I think in most) and you are talking of 60mm wide and a wheelbase of up to 77mm for Elfin that is no small car. By my rough measurement that makes WB about 1mm longer than Thunderslot and it is nearly as wide.

By comparison my Revell M6a which I know is close to scale is WB 72-73 and width 53mm. If you know somebody who knows current owner I suggest you get them to supply actual figures then it is beyond dispute. Proposed Thunderslot Elva will no doubt be fitted to the same chassis as Lola/McLaren so if your aim is to produce a car of similar dimensions go to it but it will certainly not be 1/32nd. Makes me wonder about objection over the years to another 1/28th scale range. Perhaps they were not so bad.

The last Bugeye Sprite proxy was raced in cars scaled at 1/29th and many NSR and Slot-it cars are overscale in some respects so there is plenty of precedent. Look forward to your Elfin ME5 production whatever scale.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Part of the problem with researching this car is all the mods done over the years, it was damaged at least twice and rebuilt, then altered both here in Tassie and while it was in Europe. S.J.Lambert on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum should be able to help, or just call in!

It would be good to sort the true dimensions.

Of course one option is to just buy the car and measure it, only $780,000.00!

Edited by kalbfellp

"Of course one option is to just buy the car and measure it, only $780,000.00!"

Allan generates that out of the race fees at Spitfire so no problem there, however he would have to lose the Torana out of the shed to fit the Elfin in so i guess not LOL.

"might be pushing the realms of scale credibility, No worse than a thunderslot but!!"

That is blasphemy!!!!!! :blink:

Regards

Big Mick