Tasman Cup 2019 Round 2 Shelmore Park

kalbfellp

Welcome to Race 2 of the Tasman Cup for 2019

Shelmore-Track.jpg

Shelmore Park welcomes all the entrants and spectators to Tasmania.

4on-trailer.jpg

First car to arrive was Lennys Brabham a regular visitor to this track.Shame about the GM tow car!

21outof-trailer.jpg

The UK based Ferrari arrived behind a local hired van,in a nice enclosed trailer to protect the well presented car.

88trailer.jpg

Johns local car arrived on an open trailer only having a short distance to travel.

During the practice day a couple of cars had small problems.

The Sharknose Ferrari fron USA lost drive,the pinion had moved on the motor shaft easily fixed ONCE I managed to get the body off the car.

Stubbo's No 2 Brabham lost its Exhaust.

The Daniels Yellow Lotus 24 had no grip what so ever,cleaning and sanding the tyres helped BUT only for a few laps.

Qualifying showed a few very quick cars built for this year.

Qualifying.jpg

Big Mick from South Aus proved too fast for the locals with better track knowledge.

The Tasman 1790 motors seem to have the legs on the other cars.

Almost half the field lapped under 7.0 a couple of years ago that would have been a very fast time.

I think these time will drop further as the track "rubbers" up more for the eurethanes.

Looking forward to Race day.

Edited by kalbfellp

Hi Phil and all.

Happy Mother's Day to all those slot car wives out there. Hope your husband got you breakfast in bed and have something nice planned for you as the day progresses.

Thanks for the good qualifying session. Will be interesting to see if it translates to the actual race as this has not happened of late.

Best of luck to all. See mention is again made of dominance of cars with Tasman 1790 motor. I think your track will be a fairer test of the relative merits of the different motors. Time will tell.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Happy mothers day to my wonderful wife and all out there.

Pleased to see the speed my build produced in Adelaide starting to come out seems Shelmore suits the car better than Vic LOL.

For Chas mine is an SRP motor, I got on board late for this series and did not do any testing well with much at all truth to tell. I will sourse a Tasman 1790 motor for what I hope will be a full 6 months of testing before next year. I thought of several things I should have done to the body alone ( ain't hindsight grand ). As my new work arrangement is keeping me out of mainstream slot racing lately Proxy racing might be my new outlet.

Best of luck to all

Regards

Big Mick

Here we go again, with a customer car handing it to me!!! <_< Well done Mick,lets hope it carries over into the race.

First car to arrive was Lennys Brabham a regular visitor to this track.Shame about the GM tow car!
What else would you expect with the mighty 179 up front. Motors ltd. must have laid on a real special for us especially with that nifty NASCO venitian blind in the back window.

Here we go again, with a customer car handing it to me!!! <_< Well done Mick,lets hope it carries over into the race.

What else would you expect with the mighty 179 up front. Motors ltd. must have laid on a real special for us especially with that nifty NASCO venitian blind in the back window.

We all know know Brokespeed is the top chassis builder in SA LOL :ph34r:

Not sure what has happened to my tyres . I tried MJk tyres and the MRRC tyres which are on it now . The MRRC were slightly better on my track (paving paint ) , at FPR it was doing lap times comparable to last years race times . At the last round it was ok , well there were no comments concerning tyres . If it is undriveable just don't run it , I don!t want it coming off and ruining another cars race . Peter D

Ok on second thoughts perhaps " bit twitchy , hard to get power down " was referring to the tyres but at least it managed to complete laps , which it obviously didn't do this time round . Peter D

Edited by pmdaniels

PeterD

Hi Peter D.

Note your comments and Phil's feedback but how can car go from performing well to "

no grip whatsoever". It

may not necessarily be tyres that are the problem. Sounds more like your car had some sort of mechanical breakdown. I am sure Phil will get to the bottom of the problem.

Keep your chin up.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

The Daniels Yellow Lotus 24 had no grip what so ever,cleaning and sanding the tyres helped BUT only for a few laps

Sounds like tyres to me ! But thanks Charles ! It's all a learning curve this year .

Edited by pmdaniels

PeterD

Drivers-briefing.jpg

The drivers have been briefed.

Grand-Stand.jpg

Crowd has arrived ready for the big race.

Field-Best.jpg

Great field of cars parade before the race.

5a.jpg

New Zealand entry on the warm up lap.

13.jpg

Pole position car ready to line up.

6.jpg

Positioning on the grid.

14.jpg

TV crews watch the UK entrant.

21good.jpg

Spectators at the hairpin watch the Ferrari circulating.

65best.jpg

They also like the local built Elfin

Racing was very close during the event,but when the checkered flag dropped it was John Batich's Brabham just ahead of my Lotus 32 with Big Mick one lap behind to complete the podium.

Results.jpg

Winner.jpg

J.B. Winning Matich Brabham.

9best.jpg

Fastest race lap went to my Jim Clark Lotus 32. Thanks to Bruce Thomas.

Margin.jpg

This shows the winning margin.

Podium.jpg

The podium cars.

4.jpg

4th place Brabham

41-best.jpg

Lenny's Brabham and J.B.'s old car finished on the same laps as FPR's Elfin.

8best.jpg

12a.jpg

Stubbos Brabham did not seem as good as good as his usual entrants.

2aa.jpg

20a.jpg

47b.jpg

Tean BRM both looked good.

22.jpg

19.jpg

33.jpg

66.jpg

78.jpg

My comments will follow when time permits.

A big thanks to HMCC members Dave Gray,Thomas Males,Rhys Filbee and Mark Harrington who came along to marshal.

Drivers this year were as last year,Bruce Thomas,Dave Bantoft,John Batich BUT I had to substitute for Callan this year.

Round 3 wil lbe at Dave and Adrians Mornington Park track.

Edited by kalbfellp

Congrats to the pods, on my school reports it always read Keith trys hard but must do better , chuckle well after seeing quali and the Lotus being 5th thought ok it,s better then seeing the race result 12th appears i must try harder, and looking at the results of the 2018 race at this venue with a identical car just a differant body it was 3rd in quali and 3rd in the the race ,so looks like i,m past it :unsure:

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the great round and excellent photos. Big thanks too to the drivers, marshals and other helpers.

Predictably I went from qualifying 8th to 15th in race. Amazed my car was 4 laps slower than John Batich on one lane despite the fact my fastest lap was nearly 2 10ths quicker than my qualifying time (7th fastest for that lane). All my other fastest laps were reasonably close to my qualifying time so car at least seems to have been consistent.

Looking forward to next round. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Firstly ,congratulations to the podium guys, good to see a new name up there, well done Big Mick, another 1 in the books for Shelmore Phil, nice to see the same crowd doing your racing and no doubt the flans' were out in force!

Now down to the serious stuff,I did not expect too much from my #47 car as I didn't put as much time into it as maybe I should have, but Please!

There must be something seriously amiss, my slowest qualifying time in 7 years, my worst lap total EVER, and my slowest best race lap EVER, please advise Dr.Phil, this is the sort of stuff you wake up in the middle of the night screaming!

Thank Shelmore park guys

What a great presentation you should take up a job as a photographer B)

Not surprised I went from pole to third I know that car is a handful and would take some getting used to needless to say am pleased with the result.

Congrats to JB and Phil and all others really looking forward to the next Tassie round

Big Mick

Hi Phil,

Thanks to you and the rest of that bunch of ol' reprobates for running the round. Great pics and reports that give a real incite into the event.

Well done to JB and yourself on your results and congrats to Mick on a podium in his first year in the series. Watch out next year folks when he gets that thing sorted. Mick is king of the 1%er's preparation wise, which shows in his results here in sleepy hollow.

I was happy to see #4 move up the order from practice probably as grip levels improved through the day

The next round will be interesting as it is a very different kettle of fish to Shelmore Park, so we may see a different result particularly among the non tassie contingent