Track #5

Yngwie

Gday guys. Since selling my house and currently building a new one which is a couple of months away, I have decided to start planning a new track which I have immensely missed owning.

The thing I am going to do this time is to build it modular so that if I move again I can take the track with me. Further, I would like to add modules when needed to change the design of the track ever so slightly to add a little bit of interest.

The track will be 4 lanes (talk me out of 5 someone?) and be used for club racing, if the guys want to come. One of the things I really like about simple tracks is the racing element is enhanced. Cars are closer together for longer periods of time which aids in the enjoyment I have in slot car racing.

Haven't settled on a design as yet but one of the options I will have is below.

black1.jpg

Looks similar to my last track but this configuration will have 110mm lane spacing with 1/4" braid to allow for 1/24 scale cars.

I like what Mr Trax has done in the following link.

https://mrtrax.com/w...rTrax_Flyer.pdf

Track pieces can be added at will. I prefer the Mr Trax method of legs but I guess the adjustability is a little more difficult using these. Anyone with experience with both types more than welcome to comment as I would love to hear.

The garage is 8m x 7 so a decent space to build a track. As the track will be able to be pulled apart I am going to have a configuration which will use up a LOT of that space.

Anyway, I thought I would keep a journal of the design phase, build etc as I have noticed a fair drop off of activity here, particularly in the track building stage. Also useful for others wishing to jump in and build a track to learn from my mistakes.

Would greatly appreciate any input or comments you might have.

PS. Forgot to add, in my work I deal regularly with joiners and so have ready access to CAD / CNC facilities and the guy we use is happy to draw it up and route for me. I won't miss the dust!

Cheers

John

I like the modular idea myself and plan to build a modular track someday (hopefully soon) - while I don't miss running on plastic track I do sometimes miss the flexibility of being able to change the layout.

I have had a look at the J-Trak modular on slotforum - which while it is for scalextric track still gives good ideas. I have also checked out the slotfire modular tracks.

I wish I had ready access to CAD and CNC routing :)

Looking at the track in your photo made me think of Suzuka as a similar layout option

Edited by dangermouse

Hi Caddo

Yeah nice to have a track to tune on and another race track for the group. That configuration will be one of 4 I have plans i my head for. Change a piece her and there and a new track is born. Will get a start of sketching up what I want and will post here.

John

Good news John.

We need a new track to race on :wub:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi all. Well time has passed since my last post on this. Sold the house I built in the interim and have been trackless for over 4 years. Well no more. I had Zegas on these forums design me a track but I have since changed my mind (sorry Grant). My new track is being CNC'ed as we speak. Should get it back this Thursday to start working on it,

Here is my new design.

newtrack.jpg

• Like 2

Don't be sorry John, happy to help out, but in the end it is what you want that counts, glad to see some movement.

Hope the build goes well.