Friday Night In The Slot Cave

Peter Gunn

Usual crap on the telly and the missus challenged me to Dodge Chargers in the cave ( garage ) so being stupid i took up the gauntlet , now my better half was a very good slot racer in the 60,s so knows a thing or two especially with a Pioneer Dodge Charger to hand.

But i was not scared , forgetting how good she was powering a Pontiac GTO through the bends at Hornchurch , so turned the heater on uncovered the track and reved the cars up.

Both these chargers are pretty quick running with MJK tyres on the back and with 21k Pioneer motors in, first mistake i made was trying to outbreak her on the outside at the end of the main straight which was fatal as my Charger charged into the undergrowth upside down spinning after being tapped by her arse ( the car that is ) , but i,m no feint heart soon got going again, and watched smiling as she slid the car side to side through the esses , she moves with the car as well so slightly distracting.

But by now i was on the inside after coming through the cross over and thought i'll have her now thundered up the inside flicked my tail out and the B had breaked early so i had nothing to lean on and once again my Charger charged into the undergrowth upside down spinning.

Moral of this is if you must play with the wife don't do it with slot cars especially Dodge Chargers, but it was great fun this evening.

• Upvote 2

What have i done , the gauntlet has now been throw down and tonight it was Thunderslot Lolas at 10 paces chuckle.

The wifes weapon of choice was Peter Revson spyder fitted with hard chassis full spring set up, ballraces , and standard motor and gears , my choice was the Surtess Coupe set up the same as the spyder, and tonight we had the tabby from next door sitting in watching the racing .

I am always suprised how these cars go on Carrera track with those skinny guides , one thing also with Carrera track its wider so you can really hammer these round the bends in close company with each other without making contact.

Down to the racing the wife beat me away and had half a car length on me as we went down into the first bend no use trying to outbreak her there as i,m vulnarable in the esses so waited to attack as we came along the back straight and now i was on the inside so made the pass fairly easily but she was not giving up changed her controller setting on the main straight and did me into the next corner, these cars are fabulous to drive when warmed up and that standard motor is fast for it,s K , just managed to pip her by half a lap after the 50 lap race which is about 3.6 seconds .

Race 2 was very similar to the last race except she beat me this time by outbreaking me into the esses and i didn't exit fast enough out of them so could not do her on the back straight , but boy that was very close and a lot of fun, great slot cars cannot fault them at all.

Looks like we might be having a race on a few Friday nights when the telly is bad , next time Slot it Mclaren M8D's i think.

• 4 months later...

It was a warm night Friday last so a evening with the cars was on the cards , that night it was my pair of George Turner Anglias both fitted with the 21k Slot it motor and carrying a bit of weight , these cars are well sorted, with their wider rear wheels carrying the pcs scaley replacement tyres , think they are like F22's myself.

Now you know about drinking and driving well i can't drink it,s the current pills but that does not stop her indoors arriving in the garage with a glass of wine when i say a glass of wine it was one of those large one's that look like they can take 250ml inside, well let me tell you , you can because she did.

All very friendly , spiders hanging from their webs in anticipation of what was about to happen , i was on the outside with 62 she was on the inside with 63 i got away to a great start there was i controller in hand concentrating hard , there was she controller in right hand large glass of wine in the left hand listening to Shakin Stevens on her head phone .

My track has a crossover so you alternate between the inside and outside and as the race progressed we stayed pretty static me leading by about a meter , i must be really getting old as it takes all my time to concentrate with these smaller cars, not her by this time the glass was half empty and she was singing Will you love me tomorrow sort of a duet with Shaky which really put me of as i forgot which side of the track i was on and powered into the bottom bend on the.outside , ole 62 sort of spun round rolled over a bush and disappeared into the Airfix grandstand.

The moral of racing on a Friday night with the missus is drink and drive if you like, but please , please , please no B Shakin Stevens. :lol:

Yep mouse when you have been married as long as i have to a woman who used to race with all the lads in the club and beat most of them quite often , who has a casual approach to everything you tend to try to hard .

,When younger she used to smoke like many of us , but she was the only one who did it on the drivers stand leaning against the wall powering a Thunderbird round the esses.

She may be a lot older now but will give anyone a run for their money with a controller in her hand , competative yep she sure is .