Is This Worth Getting?

Storm68

I was looking at buying one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-32-Scale-Suspension-Bridge-Kit-for-Scalextric-Other-Static-Layouts/132828886235?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My concern with being cardboard is it will go out of shape or flex or bend in its finished state.

The seller saids it wont but I thought I'd ask here first?

So has anyone bought one of these or have something similar and can comment how it is in thier layout.

• 4 months later...

Yeah I thought it was expensive for what it was only being cardboard.

The word cardboard still worries me a bit as far as quality and longevity goes, does anyone else use cardboard in thier layouts?

I was thinking of PVA glue itself just like what I found below.

I quickly googled: how can i make thin cardboard stiff and hard and found many results, here is one for PVA glue which sounds cheap option to test on a building.

The source url for the PVA glue is: https://www.ehow.com/how_5729545_harden-cardboard.html

There is a YouTube video that says she uses Super Glue, I did note there was a change in colour of the cardboard so this would need to be done before painting which brings up the topic of painting once super glue has been applied, will the super glue affect the paint application? There are two things you can try to stiffen cardboard.

How to Harden Cardboard

By Faith Chandler

eHow

Cardboard craft furniture, decorations, and even "pepakura" -- or cardboard armor for cosplay events --can be preserved by hardening your cardboard projects. There are a few methods available to accomplish this: Create a shiny surface thorough the application of PVA glue -- basically white "school" glue used in craft projects. Or you can go all out with a coating of fiberglass resin to harden and waterproof cardboard.

Things You'll Need

• PVA glue

• Brush

• Plastic cups

• Newspaper

• Rubber gloves

• Safety mask

• Safety goggles

• Silicone mat

• Polyester resin

• Resin catalyst

Apply a PVA Glue Coat

1. Mix one part PVA glue with one part water. Spread out newspaper for your work area.

Apply the mixture to the cardboard surface. Allow it to dry to the touch -- about two hours.

Apply a second coat of the PVA mixture. Take the time to apply a coat to the underside or inside of your cardboard project too. Allow it to dry to the touch.

2. Mix up two parts PVA glue and one part water.

Apply a third coat using the more concentrated PVA glue mixture. Allow the surface to dry to the touch. You should notice the cardboard is also taking on a shiny, plastic-like appearance.

3. Create another mixture of one part PVA glue and one part water. Apply it to the bottom or the interior of the cardboard project. Allow it to completely dry.

4. Mix up a final coat of two parts PVA glue and one part water. Apply it to all surfaces of the project. Allow it to completely dry. You should have a shiny, hard cardboard project.

• 2 months later...