Grp5 Proxy Race 2

Orakei Racer

So DC says he will be posting the cars up to us in Auckland today, can't wait :D.

The plan will be to try and qualify mid next week and run the round on Sun the 19th of Aug - depending on if I can get enough club member help.

From the extremely close way these cars finished in Rnd 1, I expect it will be as tight a race on Orakei Raceway being a smaller track, however it will punish the cars that are not setup just right and any offs will cost a car 1/3 to 1/2 a lap. Good luck everybody.

PS I heard DC just received Drew Vessey's 2 cars - so we have nearly got a full grid.

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Have received the cars from DC. Will check them over, clean the braids and oil them if necessary. Aiming for qualifying Wed night and race day on Sat now.

For those not familiar with our track.

IMG_1632.JPG?dl=0

It's a 4 Lane Wood track.

Length: 50ft

Track style: High technical

Power: Regulated power supply up to 40 amps continuous output. We run at 12.0v

Surface: is straight gloss enamel paint over hardboard.

Contacts: Copper tape.

Main straight is approx 10.5 ft long

Running Direction: Clockwise

Track surface will be run clean which will give high levels of grip.

Slot depth is 4.67mm ie; won't take Slot.it wood guides but slotit universal guides and Ninco Prorace guides are fine.

Timing: Lap timer software is Trakmate.

For Group 5 - a good average lap time is 4.4-4.5 - fastest lap on our track for last years Grp 5 proxy was 4.3. With cars improving every year - I would expect the average lap times to get better.

Orakei Racer

Hi Guys! Qualifying is done and results below.

2018%20GRP5%20qualifying%20Rnd%202.png?dl=0

Some very close times. A few cars had slightly too deeper guides that scraped on bottom of the slot going up hill, and some cars' gearing were better suited to bigger tracks, lacked brakes and needed nursing around the track. Terry's car had a scrapping noise whenever it crossed a track join, discovered he had soldered the end of his guide leads and one of the lead ends was poking thru to the underside of his guide and clipping any raised joins. I clipped off the end sticking out and it ran alot quieter and smoother. At the end of the day, race day will be a different kettle of fish and the balanced easy to drive cars will do very well. Looking forward to race day!

Orakei Racer

Mike

Looks like a solid group of cars. Good to see your car at the point and I see that Rossko is right there with you.

Will be great to see how the B class stacks up against their more powerful brothers and sisters.

Thanks for the run

Aloha

Dale

Well Round 2 is done and dusted.

But firstly just wanted to say to my fellow Aussie competitors...... GO THE ALL BLACKS!! ;).

Alright, got that off my chest.

Results are below - as expected there was some very close racing.

Only race damage was GAS4IT lost his front spoiler( I'll clip it back in and maybe glue it) and Terry lost a front light(will glue back in) and his front body screw keeps working itself loose- will check if needs a longer one or got a split post.

Drivers' favorite cars were DC's Ferrari and Gas4It's BMW.

Special thanks to Drivers, Alex,G, Paul and Rod - we were a bit short handed for marshals but we managed to run all 4 lanes.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I haven't got all the car classes listed - Maybe DC can email me a list and I'll update the result spreadsheet.

NZ%20Grp%205%202018%20Rnd%202%20Final%20results.png?dl=0

Orakei Racer

Ok have re-attached Gas4It's front spoiler, glued back Terry's headlight and put a longer front body screw in so no chance of it working itself loose again. Cars are all packed up and I'll courier post them to Nitro0440 on Wed. Thanks again for the opportunity to run the cars - they are a great field. Have fun Nitro0440!

Orakei Racer