Scalextric - Muscle Cars

r377

Which scalextric muscle cars handle the best ? I heard the Camaro is quite good for american muscle cars. I was thinking of something different - maybe a amc javelin or a dodge challenger just to be different. How do they perform ?

What about the Australian muscle cars ?

Hi r377.

The Scaly Camaro is the pick of the bunch but read the reviews on some of the others. I have found the Corvette Stingray very good also even with the front engine layout. The others tend to be narrower but can probably be lowered. Depends on what rules you run to.

The newer Falcon V8 is also very good out of the box with decent tyres although Scaly tyres can work quite well if glued and trued. As I said previously it depends on the type of racing you do . The Aussie V8's are still on the narrow side though compared with the Camaro assuming you leave wheel arches untouched.

My old 2006 Supercheap Holden even with lowering has a higher centre of gravity than standard Falcon. You may have seen my modified Supercheap Holden in the Touring Car Proxy. I had to add windows and an interior but it still goes OK. Not bad for a non-podded car.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• Upvote 1

As has been stated, a lot depends on where you race and what you are allowed to do to the cars. I have a Challenger and 2 Cougars that can get podium finishes and sometimes even higher than 3rd place. They all run the original chassis', motors, guides, gears and wheels but tyres and braid have been changed/upgraded and guide wires directly to the motor. A Camaro axle set which is wider than the Challengers will fit in the car. Although I have 5 Camaro's my go to cars for TransAm are usually the Cougars and a homebrewed Ponty Firebird.

• Upvote 2
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, i am brand new on here and into slot cars. In our rookie racing we are only allowed to change back tyres on the scalextric.

Thanks for the feedback on the camaro for the american muscle cars.

What about the aussie muscle cars ? I heard the XA-C is better than the XW-Y Falcon. How do the torana's go ?

Anyone had a play with the E-type Jaguar ?

Edited by r377

As a general rule the wider the car the better the handling if you aren't using magnets.

XA-C is the best option. E-type is to be avoided if you want a quick car. Ninco XK-120 is a much better car if you're racing classic sports cars.

• Upvote 1

May the downforce be with you.

We ran our Trans=Am class class last night, 3 x Javelins, 3 x Mustangs. We do have a couple of Camaro's but none last night.

Mustang 1-2, Javelin 3-4, not much difference in times during heats

winning Mustang running slot it axle/gear and alloy wheels 5.8 sec lap, 2nd place Mustang, just MJK tyres on rear 5.9 sec lap,

My Javelin (N0.1 version Red/White/Blue) PG tyres rear, 6.0 sec lap, #6 Javelin (Green motor version) standard tyres trued, 6.0 sec lap

So really not a lot in it, just personal preference

both John Bowe Mustangs go well too, , interestingly all Mustangs last night were older non DPR chassis

• Upvote 1

Hi again r377.

Agreed entirely with Sports Racer about Ninco XK120. Have never even run my Ninco E-type but note it is less than half a tyre width narrower. Do not know about Scaly E-type. I do have the Scaly D-type and Autoart C-type but have not run them either. If you run magnet it may not make much difference.

While a wide track does help narrow cars can still be made to go well (non-magnet). My Canam McLaren M6a is only 53mm wide and has given many larger cars a run for its money. My Bugeye Sprite while a little tippy still went well enough and that was only 41mm (also non-magnet).

Problem with E-type is possibly hard top. This does make a difference.

Hope this is of some help. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

• Upvote 1

Hi r377.

Despite what some people say about Scaly they product a fairly good product these days. We run Scaly GT and NASCAR as completely standard classes except gluing and truing of the original tyres. With our very smooth 2 pot paint finishes though you do need to get the tyres right. They tend to get shiny. We just use water with a bit of detergent on light sanding block at about 9volts - just enough to take the shine off and you are away again.. Some of the NASCAR tyres also go off after a while and can be hard to replace. I have found the tyres on the new Scaly (e.g. BMW Z4) to be totally useless though and nobody seems to know of a fix.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• 5 months later...

My Fast and Furious Dodge Challenger is a demon in magless running. I have no idea why, so I can't pass on any tuning tips. The Camaro from that same set is impossible to get anywhere near as fast as the Dodge as it fishtales excessively, something I am trying to eliminate. Brutal 33 XB Falcon is ok as well.

• 4 months later...

The Torana is great for a shelf queen, no good as a race car.I have tried, managed to get one reasonable as a rally car, but it is no good on the road track.

That's a real shame I was really tempted to grab one of those. Though Im new to the hobby.

Scalextric with rear tyre change

Ford Falcon XC Moffat 3.996

Falcon XW Xy 4.058

69 Camaro couple of chassis mods 3.858

Javelin 4.050

This is very tempting, my father had (and ruined) one of the base models IRL cars when I was young (XY) always had a softspot for it, would be nice to grab one and custom paint it to look like the old one.

Edited by jjgrubb

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

The Torana is great for a shelf queen, no good as a race car.I have tried, managed to get one reasonable as a rally car, but it is no good on the road track.

That's a real shame I was really tempted to grab one of those. Though Im new to the hobby.

Scalextric with rear tyre change

Ford Falcon XC Moffat 3.996

Falcon XW Xy 4.058

69 Camaro couple of chassis mods 3.858

Javelin 4.050

This is very tempting, my father had (and ruined) one of the base models IRL cars when I was young (XY) always had a softspot for it, would be nice to grab one and custom paint it to look like the old one.

Hi Jason good to see you made it here. With regards to the Torana, they run fine if you are running with magnets in so if the plan was to buy a plastic track and leave them in you can still go down this route.

• Upvote 2

Hi Jason good to see you made it here. With regards to the Torana, they run fine if you are running with magnets in so if the plan was to buy a plastic track and leave them in you can still go down this route.

Thanks for helping out mate glad to be here.

At least to start with (because I have to learn) I'll have to leave them in but I'm aware that if I'm going to be attending clubs that will need to change. I figure I'll want a few different cars as I get into this just a matter of starting somewhere. Id rather not risk anyone else's cars if/when I have an off. Ford XY is very very tempting Im also HUGELY tempted by the Carrera Pontiac Firebird, always loved the car. But Im tempted by far too many things right now haha

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

Best advice is to go along to a club where you will be racing and just have a look at what they are racing in each class and talk to the guys.

I often see guys come along with cars that they like only to find thst the cars do not fit the class or are not suitable for racing with the.club.

• Upvote 1

Best advice is to go along to a club where you will be racing and just have a look at what they are racing in each class and talk to the guys.

I often see guys come along with cars that they like only to find that the cars do not fit the class or are not suitable for racing with the.club.

Yes I like this plan, hoping to go along to something this weekend if the roster for work isnt changed. I've got 2-3 potential car choices in my mind at the moment, purely based on aesthetics right now. Mainly because when I do get the chance to play I dont want to have an off and feel bad for breaking a friend's car.

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne