Oldschool Scaley Brabham Bt49

Wobble

A mystery parcel arrived from the UK yesterday with a variety of bodies, chassis, motors, wheels and axle sets etc.

This was amongst them and the 1st thing I noticed was the tubed front axle but the rear axle wasn't in the car. In a bag of goodies I found the axle, and thought this car needs a bit of work 'cos we've got F1 on the agenda for tonight.

c91b1b78-911a-40b2-8029-92a13c7a9720_zps5dqkmuzv.jpg

When I took the screws out I was a bit surprised to find someone had shoe-horned a FF motor in there and glued aluminium ribs in as well. F1 Ultragrips were the 1st thing and when the rear axle was glued in, one front wheel was riding high so I retrued the fronts and reglued the axle tube. It also has a bigger guide unsure of what make.

I'm hoping this might be a flyer.

ff179eb8-88f4-4ace-a005-bef9422ca3e4_zpsgv6dg3bt.jpg

Edited by Wobble
  • Upvote 1
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

They are another winner. Their only issue is you need to grind out the underside of the front wing to get the guide wire to turn freely once you remove the surplus guide holder from the chassis. This makes the wing a bit fragile. I would also brace the motor to the rear bushes. I'd do the same for the Brabham.

Podiums are for short people.

They are another winner. Their only issue is you need to grind out the underside of the front wing to get the guide wire to turn freely once you remove the surplus guide holder from the chassis. This makes the wing a bit fragile. I would also brace the motor to the rear bushes. I'd do the same for the Brabham.

Thanks for the tips Mac. I also used this in one race last night and halfway through the race the hot glue gave out on one side of the motor. I managed to finish the race but under hard acceleraration out of the corners it bunny hopped so bad it had almost an inch of clearance under the back wheels. It was so bad it spat the wing out. I'm gonna sand the sides of the chassis each side of the motor so the hot glue has something to key into. Also, on Wazzas track with the long straights it runs out of steam so going to try an SRP 20k motor for a bit more torque. I think a Piranha might give it an unfair advantage

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Bram, what tyres do you use on the rear?

NSR 5221 Ultragrips for F1.

While I was prepping the Renault chassis for regluing the motor I decided to add a bit of bracing. 2mm carbon fibre rod has made an immense difference to stiffness and a 20k SRP should add a bit more sting.

28716e3c-4a01-4ad8-894b-581dc5158c69_zpsgxmnwuhy.jpg

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

It was cold wet day here yesterday so I spent a bit of time on the 312T3.

I decided on an FF motor for this to try and match it to the Brabham and added carbon fiber ribs even though the chassis is a whole lot stiffer than the Renault.

26d60a80-51e6-4019-9137-a215a5f68727_zps5qz9lesw.jpg

and my line up - Brabham 66gm, Ferrari 67gm, Lotus 68gm, and the heavyweight of the bunch, Renault 72gm

My favourite is the Brabham, I like its looks, so I might need to try and make a new wing for it.

dba0048d-d2e1-4a3d-9f19-ec28a5430c54_zpsh1nmniab.jpg

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I have the Renault, they handle well but my previous car was the JPS Lotus which was not that great, before that was a Tyrrell.

I think the bearing holders are a vulnerable part of the design.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Looking good. Fixing the longitudinal flex is smart but if you also brace the motor to the rear bushes I guarantee you a smoother faster drive - especially under braking.

indychassis_zpsa5e33478.jpg

i reckon there are few inline / no pod situations where a bit of wire and some JB Weld won't improve your handling.

2014-06-21122129_zps45eadeb5.jpg

celica3_zps0a69d434.jpg

Getting the front axle spinning really freely with all the friction in the tube is obviously another key. I ream out the 3/32 brass tube with a power drill first and have recently been using 3mm spacers between the wheel and tube with good effect. For some reason gluing the spacer to the wheel hub seems to make the axle spin more freely - perhaps because there is only one friction point on the spacer instead of two.

For the bracing, I've seen quite a large difference between hotgluing it in, and epoxying it in too...

Just some food for thought.

Nice cars there Wobble

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Can I join in?

We race similar cars to you guys, we use the BWA NC1 motor,

2066ab64-ce8b-49cf-9a31-7d4d6d2e6ef5_zpsjaqrl37c.jpg

Almost finished this one, more challenging than the Renault though

Looks like a lot more time and effort has gone into your build Terry. Bet it's a smooth runner.

Also, I've been trolling 'the bay' for a Ligier and other early Scaley F1's that have a chassis.

This has been a good resource for me to see what F1's they came up with in that era. http://www.scalextri...Ligier_JS11.htm

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

We race similar cars to you guys, we use the BWA NC1 motor,

renaultchassis_zpsecjfhgdt.jpg

I love the independent fronts Terry. Very clever. I'd be keen to see more detail of how you cut the pod into the chassis too.

I have had a crack at most (all?) of the available options from this era and have worked up the Ligiers. They run well but don't seem to as nimble as the Renaults, 312Ts or the Brabhams or Williams.

classic%20f1s_zpsbyuwirba.jpg

The Williams (front and centre in this pic) often come up cheaply on the Bay because most have a broken front wing. Scratching up a replacement is easy but if you score one complete I would epoxy a support layer under the original to be safe.

The Renaults' pod came from a older Ninco car which I had here in bits, mounting the motor in a secure position is one of the more critical parts of the build and one which can cause the most head scratching.

This is my 2nd renault, the 1st one was traded to a fellow club member who didn't have a lot of experience in building, that car now often knocks me off on race nights!

most of my F1 builds incorporates independent fronts, I think it contributes to a smoother car,

Testing so far shows the Ligier to be as quick as the Renault, but the work to get the Ligier has been more extensive than the Renault, I just love the mean arsed look of the car!