North Bris Digital Routed Number 2

Johnsxr8

Hi all,

It has been a while since i posted much on forums but now that i have moved house and got a shed back again i thought it was time to build a new track and fix up the mistakes i learnt from building my first routed digital track as 5 years of watching fortnightly racemeets helped me come up with more ideas for the new track. Here is a pic of what the first track was looking like at our final racemeet in March.

FB_IMG_1463808524501_zpsgoxbn4lg.jpg

One of my biggest mistakes i made when i built it was that i could not pull it apart for moving which would have made it impossible to sell as i had to use a Truck with a Crane on the back to shift it to another house. So when i had to move again i made the choice to start again and so i started cutting it up.

FB_IMG_1463808536960_zpsdwjuzxaq.jpg

20160516_161410_zpsj79lksrf.jpg

The new track will still run the Scalextric Digital Adavanced Powerbase with high power output mod with 0-16v Manson Regulated Power Supply and Smart Sensor for pit lane and Race Coordinator Digtal for lap timing. The new track will have fully routed lane changers to start with unlike first track that started with drop in plastic lane changers but after a couple of years i replaced them with routed lane changers. The old track because of the drop in pieces would also have the lane spacing drop from 100mm in all the corners to around 80mm or standard Scalextric width where all the digital parts were, which made it impossible to be able to race anything larger than a Mini Z and with my growing interest in 1/24 and also having the knowledge to be able to modify Scalextric Digital Chips to handle larger motors the new track will be 120mm lane spacing all the way around which will then allow me to have some fun with some 1/24 while also being able to have our fortnightly 1/32 racemeets. I already have an idea on how the new track will look but like the last track i dont do plans on programs i just sit there and think about it then just rout where i wanted it to be, but this track will have some marshall access from down the middle from the door end of the shed and it will be 5.8m in length and from the back wall to the edge of the track where the drivers stand it is 3.3m and at the lowest height of the track will be 550mm high and the highest being the back straight against the wall will just over 1m high from concrete. This track will also be able to be pulled apart in 3 sections for moving and will also have a 3 lane wide back straight leading into a banked 3 lane highspeed corner that will come all the way around from the back straight to the front straight for a nice high speed section and a technical section in the middle leading into a small hill climb back up to the back straight. I have only just started on the build today and want to have the track in a running state by the end of August sometime as i would like to get a racemeet or two in before running our annual Bathurst Weekend Enduro so i will be posting regular build updates over the coming months, so if i confused anybody with my rabble stay tuned for the pics in the updates then you will see where it's all going. Then once its running i get to play with Scenery again. Here is some pics of where its at today with no track routing done yet just working on extending the table under the Fluro as this will be the foundation for the big banked corner.

20160521_144348_zps6pvigisk.jpg

20160521_144414_zpshs8xvvgj.jpg

20160521_144506_zpsxykgqnfr.jpg

Cheers John

Edited by Johnsxr8

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Lots of good memories from racing on the old track. Looking forward to watching the new one develop and get into action. Lets know when you get to laying tape(or anything else you need a hand with) etc and I'll try to fit in a day to help.

Cheers

Thanks mate im getting excited now as it was a little depressing cutting up the old one. Also thanks for the offer of help

Nice, looking forward to seeing this build.

At 120mm lane spacing you can run any car you like which is great.

Oh yeah i cant wait to do some 1/24 on a digital track i will be ordering a Slotworx V8 once the track is up and running

Good to see its started, look forward to following the progress.

Are you going to braid of copper tape again?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after having a few issues with the router i have finally got it sorted and started routing the front straight which includes some of pit lane. Now that the router is sorted hopefully thing can progress a little faster than what i had hoped for in the last week.

20160605_150040_zpsbtutvvyv.jpg

20160605_150137_zpsrvmv5q53.jpg

20160605_150206_zpsztfbifno.jpg

20160605_150219_zps9zzjzs8s.jpg

Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...

Turns 1,2,3 look good, I do like some slower spots on the track.

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks Matt, yeah i want the best of both worlds, fast but technical aswell so there will be a few tight corners aswell as larger radius ones

Nice work man. Looking good!

Cheers thanks Tonka

A little more progress done today with the first lane changer now routed and some more routing for barriers. The gap between the 2 boards on the first lane changer will be fixed when i finish off screwing down the boards

20160620_154420_zpscugwawoe.jpg

20160620_154436_zps13qb4vk6.jpg

20160620_154510_zpsrfefjjuu.jpg

20160620_154602_zpsbakttcbu.jpg

20160620_154618_zpsffgkfgn8.jpg

Cheers John

Thanks Grant,

Done a little more progress today with some underside of the track routing for the pit lane changer and first XLC for all the components from the Scalextric track piece to fit into the wooden lane changer. Now that this job is finished i can finish screwing down the board that have been routed and fill all gaps and screw holes and sand back this section ready for paint. This will also allow me to start working on the big banked section up against the back wall that will join onto the front straight

20160624_153019_zpsufwva6fb.jpg

20160624_153037_zpsgxn7o7mt.jpg

20160624_153057_zps0pvxmqwc.jpg

20160624_153103_zpslonbpzbt.jpg

20160624_153109_zpsexgpok8i.jpg

20160624_155836_zpsxj6udfrg.jpg

20160624_155849_zpsdjdoavk8.jpg

20160624_162517_zpspm2w3n67.jpg

20160624_162529_zpsapnuqhwq.jpg

Obviously i havent cleaned up the furry edges yet but i will do that when i go to install the components.

Cheers John

I am SOOO going to have to pick your brains John. I have a plan and it would be WAY cooler in wood than the Plastic Fantastic. I can jiggle angles for a start. Will that be a problem for you?

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.