Vraa 2015 - Wrap-Up & Thanks

Old23

The VRAA 2015 Championship Season is wrapped. Here are your Champions:

11%20Ferrari%20GP1.5%20Champ_zpswacx4tlu.jpg

22%20Lotus%20GP2.5%20Champ_zpsmawnqy6c.jpg

17%20BRM%20Concours%20Gold_zps5vm32byn.jpg

Congratulations to Chris Walker on his double championship victory and his repeat of last year’s win – the first time in VRAA history we’ve ever had the same champ two years running. Congratulations also to David Mitcham for his well-deserved win in the Concours d’Elegance. We had some first time race wins from veteran entrants: kudos to Chas Le Breton and Terry Newsome for sticking with it and developing their cars into winners.

As for prizes? Well, like last year every entrant will receive a souvenir colour print of their car, like the pictures above. For the winners, I dug into my supply of body shells and chose some from Dave Jones. Chris asked me to donate one of his prizes to someone else, so I added a fourth shell and have sent one to the 3rd place finishers in each racing class.

IMG_6743_zpsu5wrusol.jpg

The shells are: 1954 Maserati 250F, 1956 Maserati 250F, 1961 Lotus 21, 1962 Lotus 25.

An endeavour like the VRAA is not a one man show. There are lots of folks to thank for their energetic contributions, freely given, to the running of the thing. Without tracks to race on there wouldn’t be much of a series, so my sincere thanks to the eight race hosts (and their teams of drivers and marshals) anchored by my good friends Peter (Mesa Roja) and Marek (the Autodrome). Since I assumed the management of this series, I have relied on these two guys to launch and conclude the VRAA season on the highest of notes. Peter was also the man behind the camera for the gallery shots of all the cars that become the souvenir postcards I send to all the entrants in memory of their participation in the event.

Most of all, I want to thank the entrants in the VRAA. You guys build the cars, using all your skill and craftsmanship to fashion a tribute to a piece of Grand Prix history, and then you send it away for others… strangers… to race in the hope that it will run faster than everyone else’s entry. What’s more, you pay for that privilege!!

There are some stalwarts of the VRAA that have kept this series going for several years with their entries. I won’t embarrass anyone by naming them, but just let me acknowledge that without the strong support of some great guys “down under” in New Zealand, Australia, and Tasmania (it is an independent nation, right?) and my good friends here in Quebec and Ontario Canada, the VRAA would not have survived as long as it has. The future of the VRAA is a subject for another thread coming soon, but for now let me thank everyone involved this season for a job very well done. thumb.gif

Old23

Edited by Old23

News Bulletin!

I just heard from Art of Dart Hobbies and he has generously donated over $200 worth of parts to be given out to VRAA entrants as prizes.

VRAAPrizes_zpsjthn04dn.jpg

Unfortunately, I have already sent most of the cars back to the owners over the last couple of days, but when I receive Art's goodies, I'll put together little "party favours" parcels and mail them off to everyone.

Thanks Art!

Old23

Edited by Old23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The BWA bits have arrived and will be included with the OzRally returns, next week.

Terry you hopefully will go next week as well, provided the order stops growing!

No, I think I'm pretty right now Phil, thanks very muchley.

Great support from Art!