Round 6 Tasman Series 2014 - Fpr Track - Adelaide

foowieman

Hi everyone

Round 6 of the 2014 Tasman series will take place this Saturday 21 June at the FPR 4-lane track located in Adelaide

The cars were picked up at the end of Round 5, all look superb

A shake down run and then official Qualifying will take place on Thursday 19 June

Will posts qualifying results as soon as completed

regards Mike

Hi again

Qualifying took place this evening at the FPR track located in Adelaide for Round 6 of the Tasman Series for 2014

After a strong battle between a number of cars, final qualifying results were:

#7 Old23

COOPER T53

#78 Manimmal

COOPER T77

#14 Terry Newsome

BRABHAM CLIMAX BT4

#3 Slo1quick

BRABHAM CLIMAX

#17 GrandKids

BRABHAM CLIMAX

#9 RIR

PORSCHE 804

#48 CharlesX

COOPER T53

#13 Mrollingthunder

COOPER FORD

#22 Paul's Slots

COOPER T50

#47 Phil Kalbfell

COOPER

#91 Mrs Broke

COOPER T73

#26 FPR 7

FERGUSON

#20 Miveson

PORSCHE 804

#69 Ferrari 1950

LOTUS 18

#2 Spoons

COOPER T53

#1 Stubbo

BRABHAM CLIMAX

#4 Lenny Broke

COOPER CLIMAX T62

#38 Alexis in Greece

FERRARI SHARKNOSE

Congratulations to the Cooper T53 of Old23 for grabbing pole position with a blisteringly fast qualifying lap

Looking forward to the race this Saturday 21 June

regards Mike

Edited by foowieman

I am very surprised with some of the times.Stubbo's car in particular was very fast down here and I would have thought it would suit Fullam Park.

Any comments about the cars or handling? May give some indication why some of the cars that have been very close are so slow compared to Stewarts Cooper.

Hi all

Thanks Mike and John It looks like things are going well.

Well done to old on his pole, that car was quite fast at the last round but it look like FPR is more to it's liking.

Phil, Alan's car was slowing during last weeks race. The motor was dying. He had been informed but it doesn't look like a replacement has arrived.

it looks like #4 is continuing it's consistent run to the back row, hopefully she might pick up a spot or two in the racing.

Good luck on Saturday with the race Guys

Cheers Alan

Thanks for getting the round underway Mike.

I chose not to send another motor. I will have a good look at the car when it gets back to Melbourne.

Well done to Stewart and Manimmal on a great qualifying. #14 is still right at the pointy end.

Alan Stubbings

Hi again

After having helped Alan run round 5 of the series and raced the cars on a short, tight track, the FPR track really sorted out the cars that could run on the longer tracks

In particular, it sorted out the cars that could put the power down out of some very tight corners on to the longish straight of the FPR track

Some of the cars didn't have enough acceleration, in particular Lenny Broke and Stubbo's cars (the motor in Stubbo's car might be experiencing some problems), whilst other cars had problems dealing with the tighter corners (Alexis, Spoons, Ferrari1950, Miverson)

However, there was only 0.5 secs separating the cars that came 2nd to 17th, so the racing will be close on Saturday for sure

regards Mike

Further to my previous post, here are some further comments about the cars:

Car #1 Stubbo - down on power and no brakes

Car #78 Manimmal - prone to deslot on RH corners,but very quick

Car #2 Spoons - drop guide receding too far and only engaging last 2mm in slot, couldn't complete a lap without desloting, rectified by glueing 2 small pieces of lead between the drop arm & axle tube, now running much better though corners

Car #47 Kalbfell - very noisy on the straights and vibrating so that top speed is inhibited, suspect an independent front wheel is causing the problem as the bushing is very loose on both wheels. unable to rectify

Cars #78 & 20 were a bit more difficult to drive than the rest with a tendency to tip, but #78 is still very quick

As to the motors used in the cars, the SRP motor outperforms the rest of the motors used. Also the Solar notices outperforms the BWA on the straights (except for Stubbo's car).

regards Mike

The BWA motors certainly tend to struggle on some tracks. IMO the SRP is possible the best all round motor, think the grand kids will agree!

Looking forward to getting more crap put on me AGAIN this weekend!

I must admit, I had overlooked the SRP motors on this list, but I've recently been chasing some other SRP motors, and so paid a little more attention this time when that name popped up.

What suprises me is that anyone would run a 14k BWA against the 16k SRP motors...

What is the advantage of the BWA's in this circumstance?

Thanks for the qualifying Mike.

It'll be interesting to see see how it all unfolds.

I like the sound of the long straight but not what awaits at the end of it :rolleyes:

Good luck with the racing tomorrow.

The BWA motors certainly tend to struggle on some tracks. IMO the SRP is possible the best all round motor, think the grand kids will agree!

Looking forward to getting more crap put on me AGAIN this weekend!

I must admit, I had overlooked the SRP motors on this list, but I've recently been chasing some other SRP motors, and so paid a little more attention this time when that name popped up.

What suprises me is that anyone would run a 14k BWA against the 16k SRP motors...

What is the advantage of the BWA's in this circumstance?

The fastest SRP motor I have is 15600, the worst 15200, the fastest BWA is 14700 rpm, my worst Bwa is 14000. My bad Srp is still pulling 500 more rpm than my good Bwa

The Bwa has good brakes, be interesting to hear others point of view on this. Are the brakes better on the Bwa or the Srp generally?

The BWA was the base motor for the VRAA so most just continued to use them. Compared to the SRP the BWA seems slow, unless you get a great one. Terry has a very good one in his car!

We ran a club series for these cars last year, 10 used SRP 2 used Solarbotics, no one ran BWA.

The SRP has better brakes and a little more torque,IMO usually the only close competition for the Solarbotics motors.

The Solarbotics lack brakes and are a little unreliable!

I would choose the SRP any day over the BWA.On most tracks the Solarbotics and SRP car are faster.

But as has been proven in this event a great BWA car can be easier to drive and still come out on top.

Fastest does not always win!

No not the 14k slimline DM, but maybe that could be one for the VRAA!? Its the RD Power 16 or the 'used to be' SRP 1090

According to the spec sheet there are only 2 srp motors this year, one with a higher gear ratio than the other. unless Mike or Paul are using them. But I think the srp would my preferred choice.. or Vanski..next time round, still, there is a little Bwa # kicken evriones butt in this series!

The only legal motor for the VRAA is the new BWA with a label!

The Vanski motor is. CD drive draw motor that was sold as a spare for play stations, the original spec ones are no longer available and the new ones have a lot more torque and are over 5 watts.

The Speed 16,000,( power 16,000)SRP comes in at almost right in 5 watts.

Hi again

Round 6 of the Tasman series for 2014 has now been run

Here are the results of the race

Car Total Laps

7 Old 23 102.9

17 Grand Kids 102.1

48 Charlesx 99.7

22 Paul's Slots 99.4

3 Slo 1 quick 99.2

4 Lenny Broke 98

91 Mrs Broke 97.6

14 Terry Newsome 97.1

20 Miveson 95.9

47 Phil Kalbfell 95.3

26 FPR 7 95

1 Stubbo 95

13 Mrollingthunder 94.9

9 RIR 93.7

69 Ferrari 1950 92.9

78 Manimmal 92.5

2 Spoons 88.5

38 Alexis in Greece 87.3

The cars were beautifully prepared, many thanks for allowing FPR to run a round in this series

Congratulation to Old23 for the round win, a very well balanced, very fast car

Some of the cars had major problems dealing with a couple of the tight corners on the FPR track, particularly on blue lane

Thanks to all the drivers and marshalls that helped run this round, it was great fun

Hope we can run another round in 2015

The cars will be off to the next round later this week

regards Mike and John (FPR)

Edited by foowieman

Thanks Guys,

Well done to Old23 for breaking through with a much deserved win. With the Grandkids in second place and Charles in third one must ask what happened to the Aussies.

Thanks to Mike and John for hosting the round. We appreciate the effort.

I'll post the updated standings a bit later on.

Alan Stubbings

Well done to the podium getters(???), no surprises that Old23's car got top spot, its a quickie all right,nothing like a mid pack finish to shake up the attitude for the final race!

Thanks for the run guys,nice thing to get fastest lap,not bad for a steam driven BWA thing!

Terry