2014 Tasman Cup Round 5, Semaphore Park

lenny broke

Hi Guys

Round 5 will be held on my track,Semaphore Park on Saturday 14th of June starting at 19.00 hrs central standard australian time

I will be attending the Scale Nationals in Dapto this weekend so will be away from tomorrow til next monday. However I have arranged for the cars to be delivererd to my local post office and Mrs Broke will pick them up from there on arrival.

I'll start off with a check over and preliminary run on tuesday night (10th). I'll then qualify the cars on Thursday (12th) and we'll run the race on Saturday evening.

My track is a two lane layout so the race format it will run like this: the cars will run through heats 1 & 2 of 3 minutes each with two drivers then repeat the process for heats 3&4 but with a driver change. This way everyone has a drive and aren't stuck marshalling all night. All the drivers selected are regular racers from clubs I am involved with.This format is the same as previous years.

Though I'm away most of this week I have internet access , though it might take a little longer I will be able to respond to any enquiries.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Thats punctual Alan! Looking forward to it and happy racing!

Here's the track again just to refresh:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Round 5 will be at Semaphore Park in Adelaide.

Semaphore Park

Track length - Inside lane - 12.0 metres - Outside lane -12.8 metres

Most of the corner radius are based on ninco track for inner standard and outer track pieces

Longest straight is 2.4metres the others are between 1.0 to 1.2 metres in length.

Lane spacing - 90 mm

Track surface - Routed MDF with Solver roofing paint ( similar in texture to ferrodore) sanded back with a gyprock sanding mesh to give a less abrasive track surface.

Copper tape flush with track surface

Slot depth 6mm ( track board thickness 9mm MDF)

Track Power - Dick Smith 0-30v 5 amp DC Power Supply set at 12 volts.

Tyres- Can't say for sure but MJK grip OK slot it F22 and NSR ultra grips work well

Track Record - TBA (no timed racing to date) I expect that the times for both lanes should be quite similar based on casual racing experience.

Hand Controllers - Drivers Choice

Timing system- SRM with deadstrip sensors

Racing Direction- Clockwise ( right to left at drivers panel)

SemaphorePark.jpg

• rep_up.png

Alan Stubbings

Hi Lenny Broke.

Hate to ask but going on comments from previous round can you check my car is not damaged/bent/broken. It should at let run smoothly. Just when you are doing your usual check on cars please.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas,

I'm still in Dapto for the Australian scale nationals but should be home on Monday night, hopefully the box of cars should be available for pick up from the post office on Tuesday morning. I will go over all the cars before they hit the track on Tuesday nigh and carry out any maintenance or repairs then. If it's easily fixable I try to get it sorted before things start up on thursday. if it's major repair I'll pm you with a report and see what you want to do before going ahead with fix.

Alan.

Thanks Alan. Seems like it is not too much as clearly still running reliably. If anything wonder if it has four on the floor and/or chassis broken.Car has BWA bracket fore and aft so they should be OK.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Guys

I'm back from my foray to the Scalenats now and I've just got word that the cars are at the post office, for me to collect this afternoon.

Once home I'll get the cars out and get started on checking them over.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Hi Guys I gave all the cars a quick service and inspection last night. I cleaned and straightend braids gave the tires a quick scrub on some damp wet and dry and a wet sponge and a drop of 3in1 on gears and bearings. I then gave each car a 10 lap shakedown on both lanes to see how they behaved. The timer was running for the red lane run for a bit of interest.I wouldn't put too much store in the times as I wasn't pushing the cars too hard and the track was a bit green after a clean .

CAR # ENTRANT CAR Scrutineering report Shake down times

1 Stubbo Brabham Climax OK 4.811

2 Spoons Cooper T53 LHF wheel not touching track fractured solder joint chassis rail LHF 5.441

3 Slo1quick Brabham Climax OK 4.921

4 LennyBroke Cooper Climax T62 OK 4.934

7 Old23 Cooper T53 OK 4.783

9 RIR Porsche 804 OK 4.927

13 Mrollingthunder Cooper Ford OK 5.111

14 Terry Newsome Brabham Climax BT4 OK 4.877

17 Grandkids Brabham Climax OK apart from RHF wheel insert falling out 4.851

20 Miveson Porsche 804 Missing 75% of wheel inserts front axle tube solder joints broken will. 5.282

22 Pauls Slots Cooper T53 OK 5.065

26 FPR7 Ferguson OK 5.221

38 Alexis in Greece Ferrari Sharknose OK 5.600

47 Phil Kalbfell Cooper OK 4.936

48 Charlesx Cooper T53 no obvious problem with chassis but driver and dash loose in body. refixed 5.177

69 Ferrari1950 Lotus 18 Lead wire jammed between guide and body. remove body and refit wires to clear body 5.005

78 Manimmal Cooper T77 OK 5.090

91 Mrs Broke Cooper T73 OK 5.252

I'll be running practice on Thursday night to set the grid for the race on Saturday night. this will consist of 2 X 1 minute sessions 1 on each lane. fastest time on either lane sets positions. I'll carry out some repairs tonight on spoons chassis rail and miveson's front axle tube. both require a bit of solder to put right. Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

In case anyone is wondering about the additional car in the entry list,(#91) I 've put in an a 2nd entry to even up the number of cars to 18. I't my car from last year entered for the good lady memsahib. as it's not registered for the series it won't count in the official results

Hi Guys

Qualifying has been run and here are the results. Thanks to Paulslots for dropping by and assisting with running things.

I completed repairs to Spoons and Miveson's cars and they are running well again.

Congratulations to Terry on pole position. I must admit that I had a double take when I saw the time. The car didn't feel all that quick but the time said other wise.

Also well done to Phil and Old23 on the runner up spots. I hope Marek is happy with his spot too after all the trouble he has had in earlier rounds.

I think there is still some time in all the cars so racing should be interesting. I'm really looking forward Saturday evening and I know the boys are keen to get here and get stuck in.

Cheers, Alan

2014TasmanCupRnd5qualifying_zps8434ee22.jpg

And how the grid will look on Saturday.

2014tasmanrnd5grid_zps309f5e72.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Morning All

Well the race has been run and won and and congratulation go again to the NSW Central Coast Brabham. The other podium spots taken by the Kalbfell clan. Well done to Terry, the GK's and Phil.

A big thanks to Ian, Mike and Kane for assisting with both driving and marshaling duties Paul for marshalling all evening and John for back up scoring, noting the drivers comments and running the program for heats 3&4.

Also a big thanks to the good lady wife for allowing a bunch of middle aged delinquents invade her home to play with toy cars. also thanks for the vittles too. thank you very much dear!!

Driver comments are posted on page 2. Hopefully I'll also have some pics to post as well

Here's the results :

2014TasmanCupRnd5finalresult_zps39a1e1c8.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Well done Terry, Phil and GKs'.

With only a tad over 3 tenths seperating 17 cars in qualifying this one was always going to be a hard one to predict, cept' for the top gunners they are very consistant.

Thanks Alan and to all your helpers and drivers for getting the round run, well done. Looking forward to the comments.

Hi guys

Here's the drivers comments. they are by the heat one and two drivers who identities will be kept anonymous to protect the guilty ;)

2014tasmanrnd5drivercomments_zps648fba45.jpg

Some observations by me in no particular order.

Terry's car does not seem as fast as it's time suggest, but it just does everything well. it puts the power down and brakes well. I felt that the way it went through the two apex sweeper (billious bend) and through into the hairpin made the difference for him.

There were two cars with fitted with drop arms, Spoons and Mannimal. Though both cars were quite smooth mechanically and quick in parts I felt the drop arm let them down greatly. I don't think there was enough weight on the guide and allowed it to lift out of the slot. also the lack of up and down stops meant that the guide was never fully in the slot when need most. Though both cars was able to turn the odd quick lap they were very unpredictable and unforgiving for a slight error. my view would be to not use a drop arm next year.

Slo1's Brabham felt lethargic in qualifying but seemed to come alive in the race and mean't it moved up the order in the race.

Old 23's car was quite quick but needed a delicate finger to get the best out of it.

Stubbo's car started out OK but the motor progressively slower and noticably more in heat 3

The team Kalbfell cars ran well and caused no problems for us.

I reckon that's enough from me.

Now it's over to John and Mike at FPR. please be gentle with them as they are proxy hosting virgins :D