Poppa's Pitstop Slotcars, Hillcrest, Qld. New Track.

solobob

Hi all, just new to the hobby and forum but thought I'd share details of a new track I found. It's called Poppa's Pitstop Slotcars, located at 6/98 Anzac Ave, Hillcrest, Qld 4118. It's only a new business and just gearing up but has a brand new 39m track that takes 1/24, 1/32 scale as well as Scalextric and others. Will be stocking parts for sale to once he gets on his feet. Went the other day and had a blast. I've only been to a couple of these setups but finding this to be a great hobby. Always had slotcar tracks as a kid so I guess it makes sense.

I'm right into model building as well so I should fit right in, mainly sci-fi but that's a whole other story.

Get down and check it out if your in the area, looks like he does group bookings too. Would be cool to see a race day as well. Cheers, Barry. :D

Forgot to mention he's on Facebook too if you want to see pics of his track.

Edited by solobob

Hi all.My name is Stephen [ aka Poppa ].I'm the owner of poppas pitstop slotcars. I'm only new to this business venture but I have loved slotcars since childhood. My memories are still fresh of going with my father and 3 brothers.

I have noticed a post regarding my opening hours.I'm quite flexible and can open longer.If I could get an idea of what hours people want, I'm only too willing to listen and take it all on board. Hope I get some feedback.

Stephen (Poppa) thanx for a great night, and for tuning my little hired box-flexi. Great technical track. I have never seen a crossover like that before, and took me a while to manage it. After 20 years away from the sport, so proud to get the little flexi round in the mid 7secs.

Paul, Jason, and Grant thanx so much for explaining the technicalities of the myriad different classes.

I'll be back (with my own car and controller) please keep me posted on 'meet' nites. Had a phu*****g ball.

Greg

Hi Guys

Anytime Greg, here to help. Look forward to seeing you on Tuesday night.

Can't tell you how good it is to have a larger model car track in Brisbane and so close to home , only 17mins away. We ran some F1 and FLM cars last night in amongst our Plafit Mini-Z and GT cars. With the size of the track being more open and faster we ran our FLM cars with Cheetah motors fitted and boy wasn't that a hoot. These cars have just reached a new level of excitement. Can't wait to race them.

Anyway, now that we have had a couple of Thursday night runs and had time to discuss classes etc. it's probably the right time to nominate a few stable classes for a race night that will develop into the future.

Thursday has been a bit hit and miss with various racers so after a bit of consultation it has been agreed to give Tuesday night a go.

Practice from 6pm and racing from 7pm if there is enough interest. Poppas is open thru the afternoon so if you wish to turn up early and get some extra practice in I'm sure Stephen will be glad to see you. Stephen has also been in contact with Gary J. to help sort out the timing system so there should be no surprises from now on.

The race organizers have chosen a great range of car classes to cover all the scales with a great variety of hard plastic and lexan body cars. We have decided to work towards 4 classes in total and have made a determined effort to choose from the existing model car classes being raced around Brisbane at the moment. The proposed classes are

1/32 GT Plafit (Hopefully this class may appeal to some of the existing Scalextric style slotcar racers)

Mini-Z GT/GpC. ( in the early days we don't plan to be choosey until numbers pick up)

1/24 GT

FLM Plafit (Cheetah Motor) All FLM/LMP style cars are welcome

Mini-Z is a nation wide standard class no matter where you go and surprisingly FLM attracted a lot of attention at Hillcrest so I expect these will get a good run. These classes are to be run and rotated weekly and we feel these classes give a broad range of cars with a relatively low entry cost. Some of these cars are extremely ecconomical to purchase in kit form. Best bang for your buck in my opinion would have to be FLM(cheetah). Great fun to drive with a high performance level. As a contrast Mini-Z is a wonderful class that favors the tinkerers among us with a great range of adjustability and focus on chassis development and car setup.

If you have any questions about the Tuesday night Model Car Racing feel free to contact Jason or myself . If you have any general track enquiries please contact Poppas Pitstop Slotcars.

Hope to see you trackside on Tuesday .

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

Hi Paul, and everyone.

I was listening to you guys discuss last nite and was secretly hoping you would decide for Tue nite as race nite. Friday would have meant a 500klm round trip for me.

I was up at sparrowfart this morning and Grant had sent me Werner's mobile. So I rung, and met Werner ... And now I have a million little pieces that, when assembled will be an FLM Oreca. (What happened to the simplicity of flexies) Bought the Cheetah motor, hope I got it right. It was great talking to Werner and very informative. There are no instructions for assembly .. But I hope to figure it out.

See you guys there Tue, tho I doubt my FLM will be running by then.

Greg

Hi Paul, and everyone.

I was listening to you guys discuss last nite and was secretly hoping you would decide for Tue nite as race nite. Friday would have meant a 500klm round trip for me.

I was up at sparrowfart this morning and Grant had sent me Werner's mobile. So I rung, and met Werner ... And now I have a million little pieces that, when assembled will be an FLM Oreca. (What happened to the simplicity of flexies) Bought the Cheetah motor, hope I got it right. It was great talking to Werner and very informative. There are no instructions for assembly .. But I hope to figure it out.

See you guys there Tue, tho I doubt my FLM will be running by then.

Greg

Hi Greg,

A bit more info about your new 1/24 FLM car in form of some informative links :

Plafit SLP2 Chassis building : https://picasaweb.google.com/117999580871029964159/PLAFITSLP2GRPCBUILD?noredirect=1#

Photo gallery of the real things : https://www.flickr.com/groups/oreca_flm09/pool/with/6876445808/#photo_6876445808

Current regulations : https://picasaweb.google.com/100400793531523576905/2014Regulations124FormulaLeMans?noredirect=1#

Anymore questions, please let me know anytime.

Cheers

Werner

Thanx for the great night last night peoples. (27th-may) Learnt a lot. A night there is like attending University.

I only had my FLM chassis, no body, so couldn't race. But I got a few practice laps in, lost a few screws somewhere on the track. Found out how important it is to 'true' the tires .. and mount the pickup correctly. Thanx to Werner and Paul.

The racing was good tho I was only marshalling. A green FLM Oreca was super fast (Jason's I think) and there was a Pagani Zonda that looked a million dollars and went just as fast.

Got some photos but had no flash, so they are a bit grainy, will post some later.

Greg

Thanx for the great night last night peoples. (27th-may) Learnt a lot. A night there is like attending University.

I only had my FLM chassis, no body, so couldn't race. But I got a few practice laps in, lost a few screws somewhere on the track. Found out how important it is to 'true' the tires .. and mount the pickup correctly. Thanx to Werner and Paul.

The racing was good tho I was only marshalling. A green FLM Oreca was super fast (Jason's I think) and there was a Pagani Zonda that looked a million dollars and went just as fast.

Got some photos but had no flash, so they are a bit grainy, will post some later.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Here are some photos of the Zonda you have mentioned :

Zonda-1_zps7b095aca.jpg

Zonda-2_zpsfc7e3e24.jpg

Zonda-3_zps523ef89a.jpg

There is also a second Zonda currently racing in this class :

Zonda-4_zpsa3b0ebef.jpg

Zonda-6_zpsc6a94c87.jpg

Zonda-5_zpsdf72bb6c.jpg

Zonda-7_zpsd108ad51.jpg

They are a nice exotic addition to our very popular 1/24 GT class.........

Cheers

Werner