Brewer'S Loop Raceway.

Sunny Coast Slotter

Finally the shed is done, and the track has begun! I purchased some sheets of MDF, designed my layout and ripped into it! jd3ltrack_zpscdf056c2.jpgWe descided to join the sheets with "biscuits" and a foaming glue that they use to make wooden surfboards. It seems to be a nice soild join. With the sheets joined and the middle lane drawn I used the lexan strip to route the slot. After the middle lane was done i simply used a piece of 1/8 perspex in the slot and routed the other lanes and the track edge. That done I messed about with elevations etc. Next will be paint, copper tape and racing!! Looking to have it done in the next week!! Here are some pix of the build so far.IMG_1493_zpsc52eb629.jpg The biscuit maker in action.IMG_1505_zpsf67b677f.jpgbiscuits in place. IMG_1516_zpsaaa8b05b.jpgtrusty surfboard tiedowns to hold the joint in place. this worked a treat!IMG_1624_zps6b4a5bf2.jpgIMG_1621_zpsb5b9e50e.jpgIMG_1622_zps8766919d.jpgIMG_1618_zpsd0782d7d.jpgThis shows the "top" sheet and if you look you can see the routing strip on thr "bottom board. these are hoing to be joined to creat the circuit.IMG_1612_zps7dda61eb.jpgMore to come. just a couple of misroutes to bog up and im away!!

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

Did a bit more on the elevations last night. Making track supports and getting the clearances on bridges etc right. IMG_1708_zps66579b90.jpgThis is the overall view .The Esses heading up the hill.IMG_1709_zps672e6d38.jpgIMG_1716_zps56eecd92.jpg The back straight. Just a couple more track supports and I am bogging my mistakes, sanding and painting. I hope to get it done by Sunday arvo.

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

I like it a lot and so much easier than a banked curve

Hi ZeGas It was amazing how much flex the 12mm MDF has. I had some crazy elevations and twists in the track as I was mucking about. I think it was also made more flexible by cutting the actual roadway out of the sheet. I did have a minor set back yesterday. I was bogging up some mistakes and looked this morning only to find 1/2 the bog didnt set!!!!! Dont know what I did wrong as I have used this product before. Now to scrape out the unset bog and start again!!

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

It was amazing how much flex the 12mm MDF has.

Tell me about it I managed to get 45 degree bank in a 180 degree bend out of 12mm with just one slight crack.

• 1 month later...

Woot!!!! Brewers Loop Raceway is up and running!!

Here is a couple of short videos (was hard to film and drive so the cinematography is average but you get the idea)

The track is great, smooth, fast and challenging with a good mix of corners and straights.

http://s1355.photobu...507adf.mp4.html

http://s1355.photobu...fb9af8.mp4.html

I used black board paint mixed with low sheen acrylic wall paint to get the grey colour. Traction is good with silicon tyres.

Next is the timing system. I have bought the IR leds and recievers to fit below the slot, scored a computer tower from a mate and am needing the printer cable to complete it.

We had a session last night with 3 lanes in use, plenty of good door to door racing with lots of room to pass.

Cheers

Joe

Edited by Sunny Coast Slotter
  • Upvote 1

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

• 11 months later...

Now that's elevation, is it a case of the more you drink the flatter it becomes, or are beer goggles required at all times.