Zegas Raceway

ZeGas

Yeah ... I don't mind doing the electrical work if you want ... no problems, as long as I get to race on it.

But you will have to specify what race controller etc you are using and I can start getting all the wiring together.

Greg.

Edited by Boxcutta

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only kidding Greg, don't hold your breath this could be a few months down the track.

I still have to register the Charity. :D

• 3 months later...

Don't you love circles, they're lovely clean shapes, only two sides. beautiful in there simplicity.

Well its been almost a year since I started this post, warned everyone it would be a long process.

So I've gone full circle .... almost.

Back to routed track and back to two lanes and back to twisty, interesting track.

Gone from container to 6x3 garage.

Let me introduce to you ........

THE TAPEWORM

2-lane-FINAL-D1-ARD-Model_1.jpg

The pretzel in the middle may come out and be replaced with a straight, dunno yet.

Total length 25m with pretzel, 20m without.

I know, I know ... get building already. It's getting closer, I just want to be sure before I commit cause it'll most likely be a one off.

• 7 months later...

..... it is getting closer, geez I heard that before.

When was that ... !!! NOVEMBER !!! ... crikey.

Famous last words huh

Small change of plans, bigger shed on the way if bank gives OK, so bigger track on the way.

ZeGas%2BRaceway-02-Model_1.jpg

Mockup happening tonight I think, then if it all looks good off to the CNC boys next week.

Digital routed with 3 Scaley lane changers and pit lane in/out on 6 car APB all retro fitted into routed track.

100 outside, 100 lane, min 50 inside.

Lanes narrowed to suit scaley digi bits as required.

Min radius 175 max 1100

should be good for up to mini-z

Bit of both worlds.

A speedway and then a technical section in the hills.

The four lane section will not be divided so merging traffic watch out, fun fun fun.

dashed squares = drivers station

circle = possible marshalling points.

no blind spots for any driver from marshalls and the underpass will be under a viaduct to minimise obscurity, the exit will start heading uphill immediately.

Direction is counter clockwise from drivers station.

Here is the weird bit, it is in effect a figure 8 (crosses once) but one section is inside the other and they both flow the same way so it actually doubles the difference between lanes from the usual 0.5m diff to 1.0m ish.

Don't matter it is digi so everyone will take the faster lane unless battling it out.

ooooooh i'm getting excited, promise I won't keep all hanging, if you care anyway. ya'all probably lost interest by now as it has dragged on so long.

PS

Lane length 25.20m & 26.47m

Edited by ZeGas

Looks like it will be fun...

ps. if you seperate the Infrared recievers from the reciever board, you can use the lane changers on any lane spacing...

Michael,

You of all people know my history with electronics.

Narrowing will be fine.

As we both know that your soldering licence has been revoked, that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't do the soldering for you...

Love the new layout. And don't worry too much. You've years to go before you catch up to Eno on track planning time.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Very basic mockup to make sure elevations will work.

1. Driver station 1.

Two possible blind spots, neither a big deal I don't think.

2015-06-27%2B08.58.25.jpg

2. Driver station 3

Just the one blind spot

2015-06-27%2B08.58.52.jpg

Driver station 6

Could be a problem, there may be a blind spot on the first of the switchbacks.

I think it might be OK full scale with a bit of juggling of levels.

2015-06-27%2B09.17.22.jpg

I think I can live with this.

Very impressive mock up.

Is there a potential risk on the bottom right hand corner?

On the inside 180, would it be possible for the blue lane to tail out onto the red on the adjacent 90 degree turn?

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

If you are meaning about the merge then that will more than likely happen.

My intention is to have a barrier leading up to the merge close enough to dissuade the car from tailing too much but not close enough to allow the car to ride around the barrier.

This way if the car does drift it will be controlled to within the lane upon exit.

Maybe it will start at 100mm and come down to 50mm at the merge itself to push the car back online if necessary.

I guess if you go hard enough you could cause conflict anywhere around the four lane section, but no different to four lane racing really.

I looked at it and saw two tracks rather than one. If you put in a manual deviation switch you can use it as both short track and long track.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Embs,

Didn't know your witchcraft extended to reading minds.

I had considered a manual switch to create a speedway on the outer ring only for testing (two lane) and may still go down that route.

That would mean the barrier I mentioned in my response to IATW would have to go.

Still I like the idea though.

It's got merit. Not sure what particular style of racing you're into, but there are always times when you just want a simple blat with mates.

If you do go that way, seeing as it's digital, might it be worth dropping a third lane into the short track?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Taking Ember's & SR's advice, here is the umpteenth and I believe final iteration.

I'll attempt to alter the sensors in the APB to suit 100mm lane width but lane changers are going in as is from start of track piece to the crossover.

Lane width will narrow to scaley width in this area.

OK for 1:32 but will be squeeze sections for mini-z upwards.

This is it folks .... get some tax money together and away we go.

ZeGas%2BRaceway-03.jpg

I think that Scorpius used to have the photo transistors that suit the scalextric recievers...

You could then just solder them in parrallel to the original sensors and have the sensor board wherever you like.

Better apply for my soldering licence back then huh

Love it.This is definitely going to be a track to be envious of..

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Might just need a diorama to polish it off you reckon.

Just to increase the envy rating of course.

Something Italian village feel I think

1680x1050-Italian-Mountain-Village.jpg

with wine bottle of course.

01_finished_wall_zps694085ed.jpg

Pic courtesy of Ember and used without permission at stage of going to print. Hope she doesn't mind

• 2 months later...

I'm retiring this thread in favour of a new one soon to start, as this has soon many iterations.

In the new thread I intend to try a step by step for new builders including materials, costs & techniques etc. in the hope that it might help out others that may think it beyond their skill level.

I hope for expert input from the likes of Shadow_Rusty for electronics and Ember for landscaping as well as the other experts on board.

See y'all on the other side.