Zegas Raceway

ZeGas

Haven't come up with a decent name yet so this is it for now. If anyone can think of a better name I'm all ears.

This is in the planning stages only at the moment, hopefully start the build in about 3-6 months, sooner if at all possible.

Here is the initial plan, it has gone through many iterations to get to this stage, 2 lane and 3 lane options.

I finally settled for 2 lane analog.

2-lane-FINAL-Model.jpg

Overall each lane is 27.83m long.

Track width 200mm, hopefully wide enough for 1:24 if I choose in the future.

Headroom for tunnels min 100mm, high enough for trucks.

The tightest corners has 200mm radius (inside lane).

Each corner has a 2x radius lead-in/lead-out, i.e. if 200 radius lead-in/lead-out will be 400mm.

Overall width - 1.0m for front and 1.5m for the side.

Overall length - 5.8m and 2.2m for the side.

The dashed line in the top right is a barrier as I don't think I'll be able to reach there to put cars back on track

The sweeping corner above this will have 15 degree camber so in effect the straight will be 5.96m for the yellow lane & 6.12m for the red lane.

The rise up the mountain is 600mm.

Direction is intended to be left to right along bottom straight, I don't think it would work the other way as the drop down the mountain would be too steep for the cars to stay on track.

I made three mock-ups 1:10 of 1:32 so I guess 1:320 scale of the various options I have been playing with, the first one was a two lane with banked curve at top right of image, the second was a three lane version of the first.

131107-52.jpg

131107-59.jpg

131215-01.jpg

131215-02.jpg

If anyone is interested in either of these I can supply cad file, I won't me making these.

This ones the winner in my opinion.

131215-31.jpg

131215-30.jpg

131215-32.jpg

131215-33.jpg

131215-40.jpg

131215-42.jpg

131215-07.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

Nice design, one thing though, 200mm is too narrow, you will need at least 80mm-100mm to the outside of corners or you will find cars will hug the rail and be able to corner flat out and not come off, giving the outside lane a major advantage over the inside lane.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

There are some sections of it that I love for both the scenic potential and the driving potential.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Digby, no matchies, Mockup is 1:320 scale not 1:64. Might make something out of clay or something and see what happens.

Andrew, The measurements you mentioned, are they for 1:24 requirements, the track is really for 1:32 with the option of running a 1:24 for fun if needed.

Ember, you say some sections, what don't you like or think will be a problem, this'll be a big one for me so want to get it right, all with experience is better than one with none.

At the moment I am not sure about the far top right corner, it will be very blind I think hence the barrier to hopefully keep the cars on track in that section but cannot think of another way to introduce the hill climb.

I'm also umming and aaaring over the corner to the left that goes below the squiggly bit, I'm worried that just behind it might be blind as well, hard to tell at this stage.

The squiggly bit and the banked curve will be viaducts so hopefully that helps

It's not a case of 'see a problem with' more 'don't excite me quite so much.' I love the switch backs on that end. This is the end that I like the most.

I know it's done for space, but the short straight and sweep corner out of the switchbacks and onto the upper straight would work so much better if the corner could just continue rather than have that short straight and tighter section.

The other things that don't excite me are the crossovers. Carnage area. But, that excites some others. I just see repair work and damage.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi

I was talking 1:32nd, and it only gets worse for 1:24th.

The first track I built only had 50mm to the fence and it was hopeless, I now build my tracks with 100mm between lanes and 100mm to the outer fence, but only 50mm to the inner fence.

20131002_143712_zpsc4ed5d39.jpg

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Agreed with Andrew...

Scaley track is quite narrow, and it's 77.5mm between the lanes, and 93.5mm to the fence with a border...

I really wouldn't go any narrower than that...

Fantastic, thanks for the advice, I think I'll just widen the corners and lead-in/lead-outs, I won't have enough space to widen the straights as well.

I agree with you Embs on the crossovers, I'm not a big fan either, but without them there is a difference of around 1.5m in lane lengths.

G'day ZG , Your track kept me awake last night, Please think of getting rid of the crossed lanes and the corner in the corner.On such a technical track ,racelines rather than lane lengths can be more important (snigger).The crossover in the track is more important than crossed lanes ,I agree with the points raised by 32coupe, rusty, ember ,and caddo. But Have A Good Time,it's your track.

regards digby

I'm at paper planning stage too and know what you mean by number of iterations. Just wanted to say I love your idea of making the concept in scale first. Of all the many track builds on here & elsewhere, I don't recall seeing the track modeled first. I like this idea as you really see what you'd be getting.

Thanks for the idea and good luck with the build.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Hey CC7.

Another good thing about the scale model is that if you use 3mm mdf you can also see how much flex there is for ramping, banking etc.

Landscaping takes about 1/2 an hour with wet TP, then leave out in the sun to dry (about a week) to make sure it doesn't go mouldy.

Geez Digby I didn't realize it would keep people awake, crikey.

I've tried a few more options to get rid of the cross overs and they are, to say the least, crap.

A must is to keep the switchbacks I really want a hill climb but am now seeing if I can raise it to the back rather than the front.

Will post next iteration when I have something closer to what I think could work.

Andrew is very right about the clearance on the outside IMO 100 is the min. If possible try and aim for 110 on the exit from the corners. The fast Slot It and NSR cars with long tails will still probably hit the walls!

Parts of Shelmore Park has 110 and they hit on the fast corners.

You little legend 32 Coupe, guess who just earned themselves naming rights for the corner.

That is the perfect solution, track still flows the way I want and both track lengths are now 27.75m.

Well done Bro', now I'll widen the corners and tweek a bit then post up new design.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, with Chrisy over I have found a few hours to have another look at the track and have come up with this,2-LANE-FINAL.jpg

Both Lanes 23.889m.

Will look at making a mock up model soon.

Edited by ZeGas

Make that 30 degree bank, I'm cheating to try and get a longer straight

Well got a basic mockup done and already it has shown a problem, I think the straight needs to go through the viaduct with the return on top,

At the moment the left hand end is a blind corner going down into the viaduct, I sort this out when I come to the full build.

140112-17.jpg

140112-18.jpg

140112-19.jpg

140112-20.jpg

As for the full build, it will be in my shipping container, but that has to be cleaned out first. So I have the incentive, now just need the motivation, shame there are other things to do first or I'd get stuck in straight away.