Show Us Your Modern Gt

Springbok Racer

Hi Kim & a belated happy Birthday young fella,must have thrown the mould away after 1950 :D :D

The Cheetahs are a bit wilder at X-Treme with a 10 mtr long straight to wind out on, but the lap times are only fractionally quicker than the Foxes.

At the APC we ran 13.8 v on a power supply where as in the past I think the GTJ's & F1's ran Cheetahs but power was dropped to 12v turning them back into a Foxes.

About 3 months before the APC our truck battery dumped & we had to go to an adjustable power supply which varies about 1/2 a volt during racing,the Cheetahs loved the battery :wub:

All the Fox powered cars at the APC were fun with the grip the best it's ever been.

Top Qualifying Lap times for Fox powered cars were around 5.6 - 5.7 with the Lexan bodied Historic Can-Am's lapping in the 5.2's & the F1's 5.4's & the LMP's at Dapto need a Cheetah & the locals have already ditched their Foxes for Cheetahs

Your suggestion of having the GT's as a National class I assume is for the MCN which has a lot of classes already,at next years MCN at Dapto we are running our 1/24th Nascars as the host clubs class & maybe the GT,s could fit into that area at Thunderbird the following year & if it gets enough support make it a regular class.

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Sorry Jan for getting of topic. Thanks for the info Jimmy. Yep.. 1950 was a good year! I'll do a fresh thread soon on my thoughts for the Scale Model Nationals .. Suffice to say I think 1/32 and 1/24 should be two different events after Dapto 2014.

Edited by axman
  • Upvote 1

Hi

Nice one Jimmi , something you don't see every day . So far with the current level of tuning in this class my trusty GTJ Lexus is still performing well . Gets around Narrangba in 5.8s and Cam pushed it around Dapto to drop to 5.6.....something . Not the fastest but easy to drive . Would be interesting to lighten the body to the 45gm limit to see how it performs .

IMG_0003_zps19407ca5.jpg

I don't know how hard the other guys are trying at the moment ,but so far it seems like a very social class of racing with a lot of emphasis placed on modeling and variety of bodies styles etc. The guys are usually very proud of their new creations and drive them accordingly . I'm sure as time goes on lap times will improve .

Edited by paulthetexan

AS you say Paul.. SCALE with detail. That why there is no place in GT's for out of scale pancake GFK bodies with out of scale chassis/spur widths. I think the weights are just right for this class so we can play with a whole range of different plastic bodies and a variety of chassis to suit.

Its great that "left of field guys" like you and Jimmy can bring such interesting cars to the track that are competitive rather than everyone eventually having to race the same body to win.

Why is this tread being hijacked? we want to see the cars not discuss the rules! look at the title of the thread! I will say it again for those that did not get it the third time, this is a development year...................................back to the cars!

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I dont see many people putting pictures up Paul, you have several why havent you shown us your various versions of Modern GT?

All my cars are on the original thread that got closed down due to it being hijacked.....................I'll post them up again tonight when I get home.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

JGT Honda: on 1700G as per rules, I think some from this years APC may have seen it as Simon took it with him as an option.

091.jpg

All these cars are very similar in performance, I also have a widened GFK on a too wide for the class chassis that is no quicker than any of these, its also true to scale...........

Will post a pic when it is finished.

Edited by Paul NZ

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

That's pretty much an exact copy of my Cam-am winning setup at this years APC. I think you might have been having a bit of snoop in scruitineering this year.

7mfs.jpg

If you have a look on ace hobbies, its on the main page as the latest parts availible......no secret here

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Guys

Finally had the time to build up a dedicated GT car after conceding my GTJ Lexus is as fast as it's going to get . Luckily I had enough spare parts kicking around to put something together without robbing the piggy bank . This one looks to be a sharper tool altogether .

IMG_0161_zps5833306f.jpg

IMG_0162_zpsa214d1d6.jpg

IMG_0164_zps0e5767da.jpg

The chassis is quite simple , 1700 with indipendant fronts . I found it quite easy to come in under the body weight limit and have to say it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot . I'm glad I took the time to build this one up because it has proved to be quite different to drive than other cars I have showing a good turn of speed and lively handling .

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

Hi Paul

They are ScaleAuto . I painted them up then machined the front to expose the metal . As pretty as they I don't think they are going to cut it for racing being too soft and flexable . Although the car is quick it has a chatter thru fast sweepers that I think is due to the wheels flexing . I'll test later in the week to know for sure . Very pretty though .

it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot

Doesn't mean much Paul, you seem to have great difficulty getting anything to come out of the slot.

If you like I could give you some lessons, show you how it's done.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

• 3 weeks later...

Well , that didn't last long . A couple of test sessions and then a total of 3 heats . I didn't think they would be the best for racing but I expected them to last a little longer than 3 heats over 2 weeks .

IMG_0187_zps2c4b8d2a.jpg

They were a little wobbly when I bought them new and had to bend them back into shape before I could glue and true tyres . Andrew seemed to think bending them back into shape may have weekened them ?????? Maybe they are just too fine for heavy style slotcars but being designed for ScaleAuto cars you would think they would be up for it . I don't now how they would go on a 190 - 200 gram ScaleAuto . With some quality wheels it should drive better next time around .

Anyway , at least I'm pretty sure where the chatter was coming from ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by paulthetexan
  • Upvote 1