2013 Tasman Cup Rnd 5 Semaphore Park

lenny broke

G'Day everyone

The cars arrive yesterday all safe and sound.

2013tasmancupentry2_zpsca0a554c.jpg

However the new works on the circuit are not yet complete.

sppits_zps1e1ba47f.jpg

SPpitsconstructioncrew_zps2c696843.jpg

The construction crew tell me that all will be ready in time for start of practice on Wednesday.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Morning All

Grommet got the sack......something about cutting the cheese too often

However enough of this frippery on to something more interesting.

I gave the cars a check over last night and a quick service of braid clean and straighten, run the rear tyres up on a wet sponge, lubed the spinning bits with a drop of light machine oil and then followed that up with a 10 lap practice session to get an idea of how they are going. The top guys were straight into it and set good times going into the sub 5 second bracket early on. Others took a a bit longer to get into this area.

There were a couple of troubled cars,

Mike Newns Fergy has a set up problem where the RHF wheel is about 2mm of the track. There is nothing I can do to fix this as the twist has been built into the car. This allows it to tip in left hand corners. the track has only 2 left hand turns in it, unfortunately for the Fergy one is the tight hairpin where the tipping is worst. this is going to affect the car's ability to race without deslotting easily at this corner. This was a problem that afflicted the car last year from memory.

The other problem child was the Team Broke Cooper. The car was sliding all over the place and was making rattly noises. On inspection after practice it was found that the front left chassis rail solder joint had broken. repairs to be affected tonight.

There are a couple of cars that don't appear to have any real problems but just aren't getting good times GT6's Honda being one the other being SlotNZ's Cooper they both feel like they are going well but it's not reflected in the lap times

Here's some lap times for your perusal.

1 Tasman 2 Stubbo 4.671 2 Tasman 69 Ferrari 1950 4.73 3 Tasman 12 Mike Akkers 4.735 4 Tasman 3 Slo1qucik 4.759 5 Tasman 47 Charles X 4.854 6 Tasman 9X RIR 4.874 7 Tasman 20 Miveson 4.879 8 Tasman 26 Phils Grand Kids 4.906 9 Tasman 7 Old23 4.978 10 Tasman 8 Phil K 5.007 11 Tasman 11 Newso 5.011 12 Tasman 14 Biedmatt 5.045 13 Tasman 70 Chenglaw 5.048 14 Tasman 50 Alexis in Greece 5.053 15 Tasman 6 Mmmoose 5.093 16 Tasman 5 Bill X 5.136 17 Tasman 13 Mnewns 5.238 18 Tasman 22 SlotsNZ 5.244 19 Tasman 28 GT6 5.328 20 Tasman 9 Lenny Broke 5.336

Practice 2 and 3 to decide the grid positions (running order) will be run Friday evening With racing commencing at approx. 1700hrs Adelaide time on Saturday.

Regards Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Evenin' All

Practice has been completed and the grid is decided for round 5

2013TasmanCupProxyRnd5Grid_zpsd3c5c81f.jpg

TasmanRd5Practiceresults_zpsb0e666f4.jpg

Congratulations to Old23 on his pole position.

As you can see most of the best times were set in the first session on yellow lane which is 500mm shorter than red on the outside. A few set their best lap on red in session 2, Stubbo one of them who managed to move up the grid a couple of spots.

There were couple of cars that could have done better, SlotsNZ and BillX. Both felt like they were tripping over themselves in corners. On inspection after practice I noticed both had fairly soft tyres that weren't glued to the rims. I'd suggest that the tyre was rolling off the rim and flicking the car out of the slot. Another problem afflicting Billx's car 5 is the giude is jamming on full lock and staying jammed when the car is exiting the corner.

Well that's it for me in the driving department for this year. The driving team arrive tomorrow afternoon for the race.

See you tomorrow

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Thanks Alan. The Canadians are goonna be hard to beat, still, its pretty tight up the top. 15 cars under the 5 second bracket on the yellow lane . Good to see Charles, Mark and Alexis having a good times too!

Good luck with the round.

Edited by slo1quick

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the tips on Billx. Have been waiting for something like that as it started so well but then went off very quickly. Tyres were certainly glued originally. Sticking guide can put down to lack of preparation time as whole project was completed in a week to bolster field. Sounds like all is not lost.

Good luck with rest of round and thanks for the photos and results to date.

See our McLaren M6a's are having another right royal battle in Canam proxy in NZ. Round three of this is due in about a week.

Isn't proxy racing great.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

New Plymouth

They were damn well glued to the rims when they left here, can something be done about that.

They will be all out of true now as well.

Which surprises me, as they are the same tyres that did last series, and they hadn't budged in a year of racing, nor testing this year before I sent it off, so why do they come off now?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Mark

I can see where they were glued before but they're unglued all the way round now.

If the series director is OK with me re-glueing them, I'm happy to do it before the we start.

Alan

Howdy

Well round 5 has been run and Won

2013TasmanProxyRnd5finalresults_zps9f03d248.png

Congratulations to Marek on the win and to the Team Total guys for runner up spots.

The podium positions were incredibly close only separated by only 3/10ths of a lap or around 3.6 metres.

I'd like to say thanks to Kane, Steve, Mike and Chad for the driving. John for driving the race timing programme and Mrs Broke for once again putting on a fine spread to keep us all well fed and watered through out the evening.

Finally a big thank you to all the entrants for letting us play with your lovely little conveyances. Everyone left saying how much fun it was.

I'll come back later tomorrow and add some driver impressions and pics to this post

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan and Alan.....looks more like it's natural environment in the pecking order at least now ;)

Actually, as you read down through the field from top to bottom, only a partial lap separates most people from the position above and the position below them. Would I be right in saying that the entire field is closer here than any other round.

Thanks for the work to all the "park" pit team and drivers.

Great result Charles, you're playing in the deep end now. New Zealand Team Cooper No.1 car......

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks Alan, appreciate all your efforts in getting this round run, well done!

Well that is certainly a surprize result for the #3 car. Great to see a very tight podium. Congratulations Marek! Big thankyou to the drivers; Kane Steve Mike and Chad and also Mrs Broke !

Looks like Old23 car might have been a hard car to tame.

Do we have a fastest time Alan ?

Oh Marek, you've done it again.CanuckBanana.gifThree in a row. What a star.yo.gif

Seems like we tried hard but were no match for little Lotus. #69 will have a very nice series lead going into the final round.

A big thanks to team Broke for running the round and a special thanks to Mrs Broke for looking after the team.

cheers.gif

Alan Stubbings

I had the privilege of driving a lane again this year, and like last year I had a ball. There wasn't a bad car amongst them with weight distribution, gearing and minor setup being the only difference between the fast ones and the slower ones. Well done to all 20 entrants on providing great little cars for us to hoot around Alan's track with. Great fun, and I would love to drive them again next year if invited.

Thanks to Alan and Heather for another great spread and warm hospitality.

Normal people worry me

Congrats to podiumites, organisers and helpers. Well done.

Nice to see myself closer to the front runners. Hopefully it will not be a one-off with one round to go.

At least in this round I maintained a reasonably consistent performance.

Thanks for your comments too SlotsNZ. Has been a pretty variable performance to date so a strong finish would be good.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Hi SlotsNZ/Mark.

See I scored same position as Munter last year but did one lap more.

You achieved a 5 lap improvement which was good.

My second car Billx did what yours did the previous year.

Noted also that last year field was spread over 28 laps but this year only 13 so great improvement overall.

All is evolving.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

I'll admit that I'm disappointed with my round position but not surprised as the behavior has been very consistent over the last few rounds, good qualifying time couple with poor final position.

Anyways, that's the way it goes sometimes... many thanks for the drivers and host, as ever an outstanding job with timely information on heats and results.

Looking forward to the final round

Hi All

The Cars went into the post this morning and are on there way to Stubbo for the last leg of the series

I'll post a summary of things when I get home from work, later tonight.

Once again a big thanks to everyone involeved with the series for letting the guys and myself have a play with your toys

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan.

Exccuse my impatience but still looking forward to your summary hopefully including comments on cars.

I also recall some discussion on re-glueing tyres on likes of SlotsNZ car. Did this occur and did it help.

Thanks again for running such a great round.

Regards

Chas Le Breton