Milgun Park Raceway

GTR XU-1

The table is 4.8m x 2.4m. Three lane, three bays in pit but as Rick has pointed out all cars can still pit - it's just if it is more than three cars you have to check when you won't be queuing.

The track is similar in shape to our ninco digital track, just with the corners smoothed out... Even the hairpins aren't actually that tight... Probably inner lane of a scalextric R3 at worst. Point of this is the smoother the track flows, in theory the less braking into corners, the smoother the racing should be and hence the more cars we should be able to 'pack' onto the raceway. With time and good driver skill, we anticipate 10 -12 cars with cars starting in the outer two lanes on the grid 2 x 2 x 2 etc) 800mm apart.

Kirk drew up the track in CAD. If you like it we can send the full track package over including all strips etc (free of course). It's no skin off my nose if someone else has the same track - that goes for any Scorpius customers).

As a heads up though, CNC can be expensive (but just don't tell your wife :))

That's half a double garage..... ..... and exciting as my garage has the space..... oh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I'll send you a PM with email details.... if I was to make any adjustment it would be an overpass..... still it's easy being picky with hindsight..........this is probably my fav track to date....

It's funny you say that... We very much considered an overpass from the exit of turn 2. Everything that isn't track surface has been recessed by 1mm so when it comes time to paint, you can comfortably see where the track edge is. Every corner has about 120mm of swing... Except the exit of the last turn because I said to Kirk I want the grid to be centered on the start line... Even that still has 95mm from centre of outer slot.... Which is good if you like the cars to slide.

Cheers for the comments

Dave

• 2 months later...

First off.... Miveson, haven't forgotten your request. Kirk does need to find the time to modify the CAD for you to make a couple of changes to the fencing. Will get to you soon (ish) if you are still interested.

Not the we have been rushing by any means.. But I only have about 30 lineal meters total of braid to lay which is only one nights worth and then will be onto the scorpius flipper assembly (bases now painted)...

Whilst I told Kirk I wouldn't post any more photos until the braid is finish (purely from a progress perspective), I couldn't help myself after a bit more scenery work tonight. ...so a few close ups of recent scenery work - going with a less is more approach still. Will post the track at large shots when nearing completion.

null_zpsa2ff2f3a.jpg

null_zps04ab87ea.jpg

null_zps4e3bb684.jpg

null_zps99d83455.jpg

null_zps5d1733b9.jpg

null_zps34dccc17.jpg

null_zpsb1a7009b.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Dave

Cheers for the comments gents. I wasn't planning posting the whole track but took some photos that show that show the track isn't far away and link all the close ip photos together.

The trees around the outside of the table are only roughed in to see what is required to marry the sky back ground into the foreground of the track. The trees will be taken out and the low section of the sky painted with natural greens to eliminate the sky through the tree trunks as well as a few bits of scrub etc and grass flock over the bush floor.

The sand traps need to be painted and suitable material applied - are thinking fine crushed cork.

The pit lane building still needs a roof.

Guardrail to be installed along main straight and on the inside of turn 1 and outside of turn 3.

Additional sponsor billboards to go in at turn 2.

Paint footbridge abutment and add final Pirelli sticker.

Install woven stainless steel safety mesh fence along selected parts of fence - namely in front of grandstands and potentially along pit lane (depending on it being a nuisance for pit lane hand access)

Finish off braid and install flippers.

null_zps3ff4de91.jpg

null_zpsde20a588.jpg

null_zpsee002f8f.jpg

Dave

• 2 months later...

That is a great looking track Dave. Its amazing how much track has been fitted into the space but is well broken up with stands, grass areas and trees etc. Have you finished it yet and if so is there anything you wish you had done differently? You mentioned earlier in the thread that you had considered an overpass, would that have worked?

Great job!

David

I just posted these a couple of days ago on the international forum. Kirk and I haven't finished yet... Slowest build ever!

At the moment there isn't much I would change... Except make it even bigger but restricted by the size of my shed. Only have flipper install and hard wiring to go.

Purely from a geometric realism perspective, we steered away from having a bridge although possibly a faster track could have been created using a bridge.

null_zpsdfb1efc3.jpg

null_zpsd4a462d9.jpg

null_zpsdb42b5f5.jpg

null_zps8f1c9d1b.jpg

null_zps689c81f6.jpg

null_zpsd7bfa858.jpg

null_zpsa1de11fc.jpg

null_zpsb702c9e1.jpg

null_zps8b048504.jpg

null_zpscb530c4e.jpg

null_zpsfd766361.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Minor progress of all flippers installed (excluding pit lane. Sharpened the tip of the flipper right up. All flippers fit perfect, move freely and are snag free. We rough powered the track and allowed the cars to drive through at speed and slowly - all good.

Time is the main factor at the moment between work and family commitments (as always). But the end is very nigh and it will soon be time to go racing. Will have to start chipping cars soon ;)

null_zps837103e5.jpg

null_zpse144760f.jpg

Dave

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I have updated.

I have wired the track up with the exception of the lane brains. So all the controller WAM plugs are in. I have chipped a couple of cars and are currently running a combination of chipped cars and unchipped cars with the WAM with one car per lane.

The track runs fantastic. It will still take a little while to run in and remove excess double sided tape used to adhere the braid (occassionally a ball of goop develops in the slot).

As far as how it runs - it is basically a Brands Hatch type circuit. Short straights and medium speed curves. Some of the corners flip flopping back in the other direction without a straight between them makes it challenging as you have to be mindful that the rear of the car (when swinging out in the first corner direction), needs to be controlled so that it can handle the second corner - eg turns two and three and to a lesser extent between turns 4 and 5 as you go under the bridge.

The Scorpius controllers and chips are excellent. The chips are easy to install properly with the help of Rick's examples he has posted. The car control is great as expected and leagues ahead of the Ninco digital control that The Copper Mill Raceway track used.

Dave

Ooooo la la

Aint this another outstanding Scorpius powered track.

I lifted this off FB.

This video uses the Scorpius controller and WAM driving an analogue car. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2OXHYm3XU

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 1 year later...