Birkdale Raceway

Garry J

I know it's been a while coming but Birkdale Raceway is getting closer.

A tad over 102 feet with a bit of a retro flavour and another variation on a paperclip.

Just assembled this last night, not sitting right just yet.

BRB-001.jpg

BRB-002.jpg

BRB-003.jpg

BRB-000.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Hi Garry

I'm starting on a new track project in the near future and I'd like to use similar construction methods including the track support legs.

Could you post some underneath pics of track sections and the method used to join track sections please ?

Also it looks like you have used 9mm mdf for the fences. Is this for structural purposes ?

Thanks in advance Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Nice track Gary not too different to a track in South Africa that I used for inspiration for my track.

As is always the case the space is never big enough & had to modify it keep the bride a little bit happy & leave room for the family car & of course all my man shed toys.

Here's a pic of the South African track I think it was called Monte Carlo or something like that,maybe Jan is familiar with it.

1.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Alan,

Legs are 16mm MDF with the bottom half slotted vertically and the top half horizontally. This gives a good range of adjustment and the bottoms can always be shortened.

The joins are just butted up on the crossmembers and bolted together. I don't bother with tongue and groove or other permanent alignment methods, if the track is permanent, or semi permanent, I just put a few screws in the join once I'm happy with the alignment.

The sides are 9mm total. I screw and glue a 6mm side then glue a 3mm piece over the 6mm. This gives adequate strength for a 4 lane track and gives a smooth finish (no screw holes to fill).

BRB-004.jpgBRB-005.jpg

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Nice track Gary not too different to a track in South Africa that I used for inspiration for my track.

Here's a pic of the South African track I think it was called Monte Carlo or something like that,maybe Jan is familiar with it.

1.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

Hi Jimmie,

Yes, that was the original Monte Carlo's Track. It has been made longer and the drivers stand is at the top end (to the right of your picture) - big problem, the hairpin and the semi hairpin S -bend are both a long way away and very difficult to judge. That track would have worked better if they had kept it original, as per your photo, with the drivers along the main straight. Anyway, still hold the lap record on the 'new' version in 1/24th CanAm LM Sports cars - back in 2007 at a 9 hour enduro.

Garry,

Very nice, I like it - obviously well thought out and workmanship to match. You should be able to marshal with four guys easily.

Kim,

Except, when you move South and Noel stays permanently with his customer in Robina, it sounds to me like the EE.au team will be very good.....sorry, Garry but I have to pinch your drivers.....

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Had my first run on Garry's track last night... Wow it is fantastic and a great addition to the tracks available to us in Brisbane . Garry has done a brilliant job setting up his shed as well it's just an alround great facility. Great job Garry .

Noel

Great to see Birkdale finally up and running.. Garry's fast as a trackbuilder.. but slow as a shed builder :lol: ( mind you, the shed lookd like sh*t before) Garry spent a lot of time getting the place almost hermetically sealed with insulated ceilings, door seals and carpet underfoot to keep the dust levels down. The place looks really sharp .. well done Garry.. especially the track. It's one of Garry's modular tracks that at first looks slow but is deceptively fast with the 1/24th Scaleauto's quickly getting lap times down into the mid to low 6's. Later in the night as the traction came up with decent rubber trails Noel B driving my Red Roo LMP posted the (very new) new lap record time of 5.788. The Mini Z's also liked the track with Paul the Texan and Nerangba racers Andrew and Simon putting in some close racing.

I'm looking forward to the first "official" race next month with an *open* Group C Mini Z Enduro. Already teams from each of the Brisbane track have expressed interest... will keep you posted.

:ph34r:* Open Mini Z means basic production chassis like Plafit 1700, Scholer, Doslot, Slotvision etc - with no "sprung" motor boxes *

Edited by axman

Great to see a new track in the greater Brisbane area. Gary had the surface prepared well , total grip from the first lap. Tight lane spacing , tight corners but surprisingly fast after you settled in. Will be intersting to race on , definately a drivers track. No time trial racing that's for sure. Passing moves planned 5 laps in advance. Compared to other tracks it seems refined or dainty ? in it's scale or proportion ....seems like it would be a corker of a 1/32 track also. ScaleAuto cars ran very well as did Mini-Z GpC cars. The Endouro boys will have a ball later this year.

A pleasure to drive.

Congratulations Garry, been a long time since i last raced at your King track at Penrith in 1990. Your name has always been synonymous with speed, quality tracks and as senior authority in the slot car world.

this new exciting track, is the culmination of everything you are are known for. Enjoy!!

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

• 2 weeks later...

Lap times keep dropping at Birkdale ... Jan posted a 5.560 last week with his LMP. The track is fast but does'nt let you relax much especially thru "hammerhead" the corner at the end of the main straight. Its one of those sneaky corners that starts with a nice easy radius.. but then tightens up and flicks back the other way..

For the next few weeks Garry's opening the track Mondays for "test n tune" leading up to the opening 3 hour group C race on the 18th of March. At this stage a team from each of Brisbanes 3 main "Garage Tracks" are entering a with possible 4th team made up with the overflow of interested drivers. Rules are simple.. A minimun of 3 drivers per team, Fox motors, Mini Z group C bodies, and any chassis as long as it starts with 1mm clearance.

Keep you posted,

Kim

......and any chassis.......

Kim

I guess we need to be a little more specific.....

Any commercially available model car chassis WITHOUT REAR SUSPENSION MOTORBOXES and all up minimum weight of 160grams (as correctly pointed out by Jason and Kim in the following posts).

The fourth team spot has now been taken up and the boys are all looking forward to this inaugural event at Birkdale. Opening enduro's are the best way to introduce guys to a new track and allow everyone to learn it. This always aid race craft development which will help everyone to enjoy better racing once the regular racing kicks in on Garry's beautiful new track.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'