Kholo Digital Track

Kholo Kid

I have built a room at the end of my shed dedicated to slot. The key design features of the table include being able to park my ride on mower and wheel burrow etc under the table, and also it includes an annex roof to store kayaks and space pods etc.

27f7583b.jpg

The wall framing going up

6d6f641b.jpg

Checking that the mower fits etc

51e72a89.jpg

My 2 year old daughter helping with the painting

c3bcf23c.jpg

Wall up - now starting on the table

be8b7e8d.jpg

The table installed

cfcc071f.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together

c2ffa32c.jpg

The table painted and the 1st track installed

d254f5ee.jpg

The grid

Great idea. The track layout looks good. You seem to be in the sticks a bit, will there be any locals racing with you?

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed the track slightly, it now includes a three lane section in the middle. This change created a whole new dynamic to the track. Most racers are getting mid 7 sec times after an hour or so of racing. A couple of us have achieved 6.4 sec.

On the flip side - I don't know of any people out this way who take it serious. I am near Ipswich so no doubt there are a group or two. My family and friends are having a ball with the track.

4b20e2be.jpg

Edited by slot beginner

Chas, the digital is great. Personally I wasn't interested in slot's for years until the digital options. Racing 6 cars, my 2.5 year old daughter can race (power adjusted down for her), lane changing, it's great. I get a group of guys together and with a little practice we get a great competition going.

• 4 weeks later...

My track has now been re-invented a 3rd time (the beauty of not routing a track... quick modifications). I have changed the track almost completely. Two straights are completely gone, as is the three lane change section. I have introduced a single lane ramp and a crossover.

DSCF5663_zps9824961f.jpg

DSCF5660_zps0e6da334.jpg

The ramp is great, causing a few crashes but the guys adjust to the racing pretty quick and the number of crashes has reduced to nearly nil (unless we have a new racer). By having a single lane the racers have to make an judgement call when they return to the two lanes, to change lanes or not to change. This has increased the competition significantly. The many corners in this latest track has evened up the cars relative performance. On the previous track, with it’s long straights 3 of the cars were way faster then the rest, so the competition was pretty one sided. However, with the corners all the cars are within a few 100th of a second of each other… sweet.

The final change is inclusion of a pit lane. I have been using SSDC software with the fuel burn switched on. When cars enter the pit they don’t have their lap counted. This effectively ‘costs’ the pitted car at least two laps. With the SSDC software you can conserve fuel by not accelerating to full throttle… this combination (fuel burn and loss of laps to pit) has introduced strategy to the race… very cool!

DSCF5657_zps1cf3a7ea.jpg

G'day slot beginner,

Good to see your track is evolving, mine still changes slightly every now and again as well. I like to keep the parts of the layout that I'm happy with and modify the sections that I'm not happy with. Each time I come on the forum and see other peoples tracks I get more ideas on how my track could be bettered. Keep having fun, thats what its all about.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

The 4th modification of the Kholo track with two corners extended. I have also mounted a screen so as to view the race management software. We had our first race meet (just family). I set up three 20 min races. Heaps of fun and the pit element really challanged the guys.

DSCF5685_zps0eed71bb.jpg

The following picture is a screen shot from the SSDC race management software tracking my fuel usage while I was practicing alone.

FuelUsage01_zps295afcb7.jpg

This one is from the race. As you can see, the red line (controller 1 - who won the race) drove most conservatively and conserved fuel, so got an extra few laps in before pit stops were required.

It was a great afternoon, and I have another meet lined up with 6 racers next time

Fuelusage02_zps47d558b6.jpg

Edited by Kholo Kid

The Richard's Falcon is the best handling car out of the box. My Fav is the #48 Camaro, it is all over the place, drifts on most corners so iot is a real challenge to drive which makes it great fun.

Here is a pic of my cars, a little selection (with almost all the wings fallen off)

DSCF5686_zps567baa65.jpg

Edited by Kholo Kid

You will soon need more shelves and another cupboard :P

Good to see you with PC timing as well

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

You will soon need more shelves and another cupboard :P

Good to see you with PC timing as well

Ha Ha, no doubt you are right. However I placed a handful of power supplies, power base tracks and hand controllers on ebay last night, trying to sell some of the extra stuff that accumulates. Speaking of such things, do any of you guys have magnets for the DPR ready cars that you want to sell?

The 5th version of my Kholo track, with all sorts of random props.

DSCF5757_zps8dc0edb8.jpg

The beetle toilet roll holder was a gift from my brother in law around 10 years ago, a bit if a classic.

DSCF5758_zps704b3904.jpg

I've moved the pit lane to a corner of the track, no longer along the straight.

DSCF5759_zpseb199d8e.jpg

I've now added two over passes with a stright in the middle

DSCF5762_zps8bf6a89d.jpg

It's a busy little track now, heaps of tight corners. Times have increased from 6.8 sec to mid 9's.

DSCF5772_zpsdda9fa65.jpg

I've introduced a cross over track as well, it causes a bit of car damage but it's fun.

DSCF5769_zpse8c83ceb.jpg

The 32 car is a Ford Mondeo, they bought it out in a few different liveries ......

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

It was the "Bathurst Standard" a few years back, all the Bathurst sets had them as the V8's were only a wet dream back then :D

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I like seeing how you have developed the design bit by bit.

One thing you might consider is working out the weight of each car, and how many grams of magnetic downforce it is getting - then working out dowwnforce in grams per gram of car weight.

As you go on, you'll notice a big variation in the amount of downforce, and that affects corner speed for all cars you will buy.

The old Mondeo probably has very little as the magnet will be an old ferrite one. The modren cr will have neodymium magnmets which are much stronger.

But even for two identical modern cars, the magnets have differing strengths.

When our club raced with magnets on ninco track, we bought a "maagnet marshal" to do this, but it can be done with just a normal set of jeweller scales off EBAY for a few bucks, and a dose of rat-cunning and engenuity.

Then you buy a few cheap magnets, break bits off where needed to get even smaller, and just plant them on top of existing magnets in cars to even up the handling.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The 32 car is a Ford Mondeo, they bought it out in a few different liveries ......

It was the "Bathurst Standard" a few years back, all the Bathurst sets had them as the V8's were only a wet dream back then :D

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me (the car make is not on the bottom as with the newer cars). I have been looking at a few cars and sites this week (searching by 'Richards 32' and thought that it was a poor impression of a commodore). I bought new tyres for the Mondeo last week, and added a digital chip. It's a bit of a beast, you think you are going slow but the times are quite respectable, only 1 sec or so slower than my best cars. When I get a race going I think it will hold it's own.

Edited by Kholo Kid

I like seeing how you have developed the design bit by bit.

One thing you might consider is working out the weight of each car, and how many grams of magnetic downforce it is getting - then working out dowwnforce in grams per gram of car weight.

As you go on, you'll notice a big variation in the amount of downforce, and that affects corner speed for all cars you will buy.

The old Mondeo probably has very little as the magnet will be an old ferrite one. The modren cr will have neodymium magnmets which are much stronger.

But even for two identical modern cars, the magnets have differing strengths.

When our club raced with magnets on ninco track, we bought a "maagnet marshal" to do this, but it can be done with just a normal set of jeweller scales off EBAY for a few bucks, and a dose of rat-cunning and engenuity.

Then you buy a few cheap magnets, break bits off where needed to get even smaller, and just plant them on top of existing magnets in cars to even up the handling.

You're correct, the Mondeo's magnet is quite weak.

When I have race events with friends and family my only rule is that the winner gives the loser their car for the next heat/race. This has taken the car performance advantage out of play. Also, with the slower cars I give them an extra 10L - 20L of fuel in the SSDC software, so they get a few extra laps before having to pit.

The magnet strength difference is a pain. My Falcon V8 just held the road, blitzing all others out of the box. I switched magnets between different cars and seem to have got a more even playing field now. I placed 2 magnets in the Holden V8 and it just competed with the Ford V8 with it's 1 original magnet (obviously there are other variables to performance)

Edited by Kholo Kid

I actually liked the single lane bit in an earlier version and please throw the cross over/sure thing smash bit in the bin. No need to invite disaster.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

K

K, you gave me a great name for this version of the track "Invitation to Disaster"

Great track Kholo, love how its progressing.

Reading this thread took me right back to our own build starting back in 2006 when I bought the boys a digital SSD set for christmas, now we have a 6m x 2.5m table in the garage with a 40m layout (cross over as well) 85 cars and all the high tech digital mods.

It's just great fun, well done and keep going.

PS. if your looking for more magnet strength your can just add small metal washers to the top of the magnets this works well, but don't use ones that are too large as the extra magnetic down force drag could burn a motor out (and slow the down too much). I also use the small magnets in the "Magnetics" toys which can add just that little extra to tame a difficult car or quickly even a class of cars up without a lot of tuning etc.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I have organised a 5 round Porsche Challenge at the Kholo Track.

DSCF5824_zps12ca941f.jpg

The first round was a little lite on racers, as two guys had to pull out.

DSCF5825_zpsa91d9dd8.jpg

The set up is 3 x 20 min races over three nights, with the top 2 from each meet to race a qualifying final, with the top 4 to race the final.

We raced from 7:30pm - 12:30am, a decent effort. After the Porsche challenge rounds we had open racing, including F1's and V8's.

Below is my first attempt at posting a video

th_DSCF5826_zps5e5a8253.jpg

Edited by Kholo Kid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Kholo track has been getting a decent run over the past couple of months, with eight meets having been held now (and two more planned in the coming fortnight). I estimate that over 2800 laps have been raced on the track to date, and I would have completed close to that number by myself. The 6 car power base hasn’t missed a beat, and the SSDC software is great.

My lap times have come down quite significantly, from mid 8 seconds to my best (achieved this week) of 6.10 seconds. I would not have thought a 5 second time was possible, but that now seems just a matter of time.

I have modified the track slightly this month, adding a longer pit lane which runs for around 1.5 metres now. After a long delay (Scalextric warranty support in QLD is woeful) I have a working pit lane game as well, so the next meet will have a pit Marshall monitoring pit exits.

I have expanded my slot car hobby a little and I have written an article for a slot car magazine on the development of my track which will be published this month. The editor was happy with the article and has asked me to review a slot car for him. He will supply the car (Pioneer brand - Mustang) and I will run it on my track and write a two page review. Best of all I get to keep the car. This will be the first non-scalextric car I have run on my track, so that will be interesting as well. Hopefully I will get the car in time for the next meet I have organised and I will get to test it under race conditions.

On the topic of race meets they (the meets) have grown to take on a life of their own. I have three core groups that attend being the locals, the family/friends and the baby group guys. The baby group is a spin off from a group that my wife helped set up (we all have kids 3 years and under). This group is interesting as we are all dealing with similar issues, such as toddlers, new bourns etc. It’s good to get some time to chat about life while drinking beer and racing 1/32 scale plastic cars.

The locals are a laugh, with each guy closely guarding his preferred car. I think a couple of them want to take ‘their’ car home with them to tinker a little. My collection has increased to 31 cars now (32 when the Mustang arrives), which I think will be about it for me. However, the new VW beetle that has been released would be good…

Edited by Kholo Kid

Keep plugging away at the racemeets they will get bigger the more you persist with them, i had had like about 2-3 guys when we started and now have around 25 members and we average around 10-14 guys per racemeet but still do have the occasional one where lots of them have things on and get a small turnout but we still have fun on those nights. Alot of the guys that compete here now plan there weekends around racing at my house (Their Wives probably hate me lol), i never thought it would get to this when i first started out planning a few racemeets but now i look forward to every 2nd Friday nite Racing Digital Slotcars

John

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com