I Pity The Fool Who Tries To Make An A Team Van

Yes, after the success* of my other cars, the next one is a 1981(ish) GMC van. Like the '77 Dodge this one is based on a model kit rather than 3D data, but even then it's never simple...

I eventually found a 1:32 kit from an auction site, there were a few different ones made through the '70s and early '80s but I particularly wanted one without a side window. This one came over to England eventually and I sent it off for cleaning up and prep work for moulding.

The custom work is the roof spoiler and special wheel inserts which I made up with a few luchtimes on the CAD system and then got 3D printed. There's also a vacform interior and fender skirts with front spoiler moulded into the main bodyshell

IMAG0812.jpg

The tiny front and rear overhang meant my original chassis didn't fit but the new compact chassis does and there was a huge sigh of relief when it worked last week under the Dodge Monaco and Cadillac limo!

finalassembledchassis8x6.jpg

The new chassis is easy to build, it's almost done this afternoon, just the guide and wiring to tidy up. As well as being wider, this van is of course much taller so my usual body posts don't reach up to inside the hood and they certainly don't go up to the roofline in the back. I fabricated some L brackets from leftover plasticard and tried it for size

IMAG0813.jpg

I need to dig out some more photos of the film van, I'm sure it's higher at the back but I need to see how much. For the moment the L brackets are held in with tape so I can try it and move it easily

The roof spoiler fits nicely so I need to check how far back on the roof it goes

I won't be able to send these abroad because everyone knows BA ain't getting on no plane, sucker!

* success? The sarcasm-ometer has just broken in my accountant's office

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

I won't be able to send these abroad because everyone knows BA ain't getting on no plane, sucker!

don't be silly, you hold him down, I'll inject the sedative - -

nooooooooo, i said YOU hold him down . . . . :lol:

ps, nice job !!!

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Here's one from around here, well Dapto actually

234f1acb.jpg

I can see them being turned into service vehicles, and if you can do a transit van version, i see the SuperVan hitting the tracks

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I used some scrap plasticard to support the resin body posts and after a few attempts I glued them in place

IMAG0818.jpg

Grey paint on the top half, now to mask it off and do black on the bottom

IMAG0819.jpg

I've got a spare bodyshell, the first one that came out of the mould wasn't great. Any guesses what I'll paint it up as?

IMAG0820.jpg

• 1 month later...

I never really watched the A Team much. Did they really jump that clunking great van?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Yes, Embs, they really did jump that van a few times, although I think most of the stories involved jeeps with massive roll cages going over pipe ramps.

One at 1 min 20 sec in here, although they start off with a Dodge Monaco which were all doomed as soon as you saw one enter the scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuApr_vy5Ds

I don't remember Starsky jumping his car much, but I could be wrong. There's a limit to the stunt props and scenes I can set up in a spare hour on Saturday mornings so alleyways and cityscapes are out of the question in my stuff... I only really try and show it cornering, almost any slot car can jump (although mine survive better than most)

starsky_1.jpg

Which one are you talking about KK? The Bullitt chase remake?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Mine is finally completed

A case of have to as it's a christmas gift for my brother in law who bought a CF bedford earlier in the year in order to build an A Team Van

Guess who finished theirs first- guess who finished theirs before the other started

IMG_5503_zps187533d2.jpgIMG_5511_zps8bf207f2.jpg

Basic Choc Ice Resin with scratch built bull bar and PCB board chassis

I tried out an independant front end on this chassis and it seems to function quite well

The van runs quite nicely despite it's lumbering bulk

Edited by rsclio

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages