Nz Canam Proxy 2012 - Race Round 2

charlesx

I brought back Canam cars from Napier yesterday so all is set for next two rounds to be run in The Taranaki.

Will announce in next couple of days when qualifying etc will be run. Because I am away on holiday for 10 days following Easter we may run qualifying series for Rounds 2 and 3 before Easter (at least Round 2 anyway) if nobody has any objection and then get into the real racing mid/late April. Our own racing will be suspended until series completed.

Good luck to all. First step will be to check all cars. Progress reports will follow. Great to see a better representation of McLaren's this time. They were such a major part of the event.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

All cars have been checked and tested on piece of straight Scalextric track as I have no track of my own.

Apart from one minor problem which I easily fixed and quite a few needing their pick-ups adjusted all ran fine so we are ready to go tomorrow. SlotsNZ had cleaned all braids before I picked cars up.

If anybody wants their gears lubricated please let me know but probably not a problem at this stage of series. I use Tamiya Ceramic grease.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• Upvote 1

Hi all Charles has sent me the qualifying times for round 2

qualR2.jpg

Charles, out of curiosity, what is the slot depth?

Must be only about 6mm by my reckoning, as my guide was 8mm before braid, and 7mm with braid and wheel height set.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

My motor mount is supposed to be loose in the chassis.

See that Stigs car is STILL listed as a Class A car!

ahhhh, you spotted the deliberate error. [Q. is Phil watching, is Ben watching...... ohhhhhhhh yep.... was he a printer or a police inspector]

I actually changed it on the 2nd edition of pages I sent to Charles, then forgot to change it back here when the results cam back in.....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi all.

Was great to be able to put all the cars through their paces. Several could have also been contender for "Concours" if there was such a prize. Some of the resin cars were real gems but others had clearly suffered in transit or from heat. Mind you the Revell (I think) Lola T70 was beautiful out of the box and the HRS chassis nicely installed too as were several others. All McLaren's of course are naturally beautiful but then I am biased. At the end of the day however it is how it goes that matters.

Please note the comments are from track owner Rex who did all the driving. I just wrote them up. Phil - Rex thought your Lola would go better without the motor mount movement from the way it re-acted on the track. Slot depth according to Rex is 8mm but we did have to clean a bit of debris out of the slot to get some cars to function reasonably. Stig your Honker really honked but like last year it tended to cock its hind leg particularly at end of the long straight. Otherwise it might have gone even closer to the fastest time. Haystack I think when we learn to drive your car it will go even better (as it did last year during racing) so I suggest you watch this space. Last year I think it was Trent who really got it motoring so we will wait and see. He will driving again this year. Rex absolutely fell in love with the NSR Porsche 917 so he now wants one (he is too dam fast already). Told him though he had to put back in box. Please also note that we kept running to absolute minmum so usually 2 laps providing car ran smoothly then 1 minute for timing. All cars were however treated the same unless we had to muck around with pick-ups but that was only a couple.

Unfortunately we were not able to compare times with last year as the track has growed (another 7m to 36m). As a guide however our current records for Nascar are - 10.372 secs; Slot-it Group C 9.145 secs and GT 8.868 secs. Last year if I remember correctly Jazzbell's Chappy and Chris Wong's Alfa 33/3 both recorded slightly under 8 secs which was pretty close to our best time at that stage. Again this time there is not too much of a gap and track is now about 15 months old so we are getting to know the ropes better. I must say however that Rex is an absolute Nascar whiss so do not be too disappointed if you are slower than our Nascar time. We are not all that fast.

At this stage as we have our next group meeting on Sunday 1/4/2012 and I am going on holiday from Easter Monday racing for this and Round 3 will be held probably 22/4 and 29/4.

If anybody has any other questions or wants their cars gears greased please let me know.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Chas, Rex and the others.

My first Q1 I think :).

I did gear it a bit taller with bigger tracks in mind.

Looking forward to the actual race to see how the other drivers cope with the Alfa in a race situation.

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Hi Haystack.

Very lightly greased. Looking at pick-ups I wondered if we had enough tension on them so will try another setting before race.

Orakei your car just seemed to get faster every lap. Rex normally drives without brakes so it was partly due to adjustments he had to make to get best out of car. He only had 1 minute.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas, if you get time would you mind trimming the guide on my car please. It's the red #7 Lola T70 (assumming the rules allow you to do so)

I would have done it myself had I known the depth of the slot. Thanks Chas - Dave.

Hi Dave (DRW21).

We may not need to do anything yet. Tried your car on GreenAcres yesterday (track for Round 3) and it was not a problem. Neither were the other two similarly affected.

The owner of "Plymouth" has checked depth of his slot (about 8mm) but he did note there was a bit of rubbish in places. At qualifying we cleaned out subject lane but all lanes will be thoroughly checked and cleaned out before racing on 22/4/2012. Probably a combination of colouring groove, some clear coat droplets, a few polystyrene pieces and other debris. As we normally only run standard guides this is not normally a problem.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All. Poor charles he has prpbably been busting to make comment for hours, as he sent the results through during the afternoon.

I was busy with unimportant trivia - watching V8 Supercars on TV (Round 2 in Hamilton :)

Anyway. here we go. The thing that just amazes me is how well most of the small "B" group cars did on a large, wide open track. First 4 places on Handicap.

nzprR2results.jpg

nzprR2overall.jpg

nzprR2handicap.jpg