Castellano In Umbria, Italy

Graham Lane

Hi there! New to this forum so I thought I'd bring you pictures and video of my track here in Umbria.

It started as a 2-lane SSD race track but then expanded with a single-lane routed MDF section which includes a village and viaduct. That grew again when I added a second village, railway line and a mountain. My plan is to convert the 2-lane section into more of a road track, doing away with the pits, grandstands, etc and create a small village there with filling station, hotel, and a few houses.

So, here is the two-lane section.

The pits were removed for this event, the Mini Mille Miglia, which raised over 6,000 euros for the Alzheimer's Research Trust over the three events. Notice the superb start ramp, kindly made for me by a guy in Canada.

P1060725.jpg

P1060803.jpg

Edited by Graham Lane

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

Here are a variety of photos of the single-lane section.

P1060554.jpg

P1060692.jpg

P1060693.jpg

P1060772.jpg

P1060785.jpg

P1060782.jpg

Yep, the railway line works, complete with level crossing which may, or may not hold the cars up.

P1060575.jpg

Yep, the camera car works, with onboard wireless webcam...in colour with sound relayed to a big screen in the next room for this event. I had it facing backwards to video following cars and that worked great.

fulltrackv10.jpg

2008-06-22004.jpg

lookingthroughthecomune.jpg

Scalextricnewspictureofmytrack.jpg

track3.jpg

P1010767.jpgRiver.jpg

scaffolding.jpg

Cameracar.jpg

P1010308.jpg

P1060558.jpg

P1060551.jpg

P1060553.jpg

P1060552.jpg

There will be a vineyard (Trebbiano grapes) in the brown field later and maybe a villa on the hill where the car park is.

P1060577.jpg

And here, I hope, is a video of my son driving his Jag XK120 around the complete circuit, which took about 45 seconds.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBKYyw-B8g

and if you enjoyed that one try this!

Edited by Graham Lane

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

Thanks guys. Just to add that the complete track is portable. Each section fits into the back of my car. Currently in storage, it will be set up in Brama Model Shop next October for the Italian round of the SCX Proxy World Rally Championship. I also have a four-lane Ninco track and if we can find a suitable clubroom both tracks will be set up permanently there.

...this is the BIG one!

Geez mate that puts my attempt into the pitiful category, but it's still fun making it.

Well done this is incredible.

Is it open to the public?

No ZeGas, it's hibernating at the moment. It will be set up in Brama Model Shop for at least a month, September/October this year, during which the Italian round of the SCX WRC takes place. I hope by then to have a permanent home for it.

...this is the BIG one!

You're right dangermouse. I'll add that video too when I get a minute. It was Adrian Norman of Scalextric versus my son Tom for the final of the pursuit race, which Tom won. In fact he won each of the three years and won the MMM outright last year. Top lad!

...this is the BIG one!

G'day Graham

Glad to see you on Auslot regular now. I have admired your track for years now and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger (well done). With input from international people like yourself this forum will just keep getting better.

Mat

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

Sheesh Mat, thanks. I hope I can contribute as well as be inspired by the great things you lot are doing down here.

...this is the BIG one!

I've found the video you're referring to. I was the 2010 Mini Mille Miglia.

This is the last couple of minutes of a 20 minute battle between Adrian Norman, Marketing Director of Scalextric, and Tom Lane, a team leader scientist with Sun Chemical. It was all getting a bit ragged at the end and the cars were not as smooth as they should be, but it was a hell of a battle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jClW3k1-4ZY

The idea is that they start half a lap apart and the race is over when one passes the other. That means the single section is out unless you deslot off the track. With two good drivers it gets really exciting.

By the way, there are over twenty thousand bricks on that viaduct, each one individually made, stuck one, painted, and grouted.

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

Great to see you here too Simon. I hope you can get over here one day and share a glass of wine with us.

There are some photos there that have never been published, so you won't have seen them. I have a huge archive and there are loads more take by guests and drivers at the various MMMs. I'll try to find some more.

...this is the BIG one!

Welcome Graham, for those of you who don't know Graham, he is an ex-pat Pom living in Italy, with an amazing place in the hills of Umbria. This bloke has some pull... he managed to get Sir Stirling Moss to be the Patron of his brain child, the Mini Mille Miglia!!! A FUNd raiser for the desease that claimed his Mum's life (I believe), Altzheimer's.

Graham, please feel welcome here, your talents in modelling won't go unnoticed... and to make sure, please link your YouTube HowTo videos on brick making!!!! That viaduct is up there with the Colloseum!!!!!

Enjoy your stay here in God's Own mate!

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

I really coloured up there mate. Cheers, but there are many great talents out there, such as Bill (jmswms) Schniedewind, Thib, sig, and countless others all of which I have drawn on to help me build my track. I look back the early part of it and am tempted to redo it now I know how things can be done.

I'll certainly post more pictures and videos. I have a great video called 'Weathering Heights' but it's very high resolution and every time I've tried to upload it, it failed. Does anybody know how to reduce the res before uploading to Youtube?

As far as Sir Stirling goes I had a bit of practice. Years ago I persauded Lord Hesketh to be president of ECRA, back in the time he had the Formula One team. He lives in Brazil now, I'm told. I hope it wasn't my fault!

...this is the BIG one!

You'll need some converter software to re-render it to a lower resolution Graham. Not sure what to recommend. I use Adobe Premier simply because I own it. I think DiVX do one and there are a few free ones available.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

If Handbrake will read your source video then you could use it convert the file to a much smaller .mp4 or .mkv format file. Handbrake is free & very good at what it does, I have been using the CLI version on Linux for years:

http://handbrake.fr/index.php

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

It's 1.21Gb. I had another go last night and it failed. Estimated upload time about 590 minutes!

...this is the BIG one!