Trinity Cresent

BattleTweety

After reading the posts in this forum about digital and salivating over the stories and fun people were having, I've made the decision to create a track of my own based on the scaley digital technology. My skills don't extend to doing a routed track at this stage, or rather my confidence doesn't, but I prefer the commercial track anyway.

My only constraint is, it must fit onto a standard ping pong table. So after much trial and error, I think I have settled on a track plan that suits my simple needs and should be good for both expert end beginner and above all, fit maximum track onto a ping pong table. The plan is to create a permanent layout with some gently sloping hills and countryside at the back and some Gold Coast Indy style street racing at the front.

Here's the plan: (my track planner software doesn't ave digital crossover tracks so I can't show where the lane changes will be)

PingPongTable1.jpg

So the first step - went and bought a four car digital set - these things seem to have been greatly reduced in price since they originally appeared - lucky for me. Cheapest way to get 4 digital cars, 4 controllers, a power base and some change over track if you ask me...

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

And of course, the platform to put it all on.

IMG_1079.jpg

First step will be to lay the track down, get the levels right and test it before I start on the scenery.

I'm going to use many of the ideas found right here in this forum as I can't find a better forum on the planet for building a layout with scenery than right here. I'll post more once I get her started. My apologies if I don't acknowledge who gave me all the different ideas, its too hard to go back and find all the posts one by one. So I'll just say a big thank-you to everyone for the inspiration to do this.

cheers

BT

Well I've finished the first draft of the track layout. Pictures below. AS I look at it now, i start to think of all kinds of ways of extending the higher part over the lower level to give me more track. God knows I have an enormous amount of track left. At this stage I like to leave it and think on it for af ew days and see what the subconscious pops out.

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

Its a nice fast track to race on, but has its share of tough corners if anyone gets too confident.

Found some pvc piping to rest the controllers in - I was going to buy some nice cupholders, but $9 for a piece of pvc pipe was way cheaper.

cheers

BT

If you make it too long, the drivers/cars never see each other, and it could feel like driving a single lane rally track.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Doesn't look too bad. I'd personally ditch some of the R2s for R1s, 3s and 4s but most sets don't come with them. Also a fan of change of radius curves. But well.... I've had a couple of casual visitors who've tried my track call me not very nice names for my corner designs. :(

Nice use of the packing box too. :nice:

Have fun

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

What would 1/32 and HO slot car racing have done if the table tennis table had never been invented. :)

Great looking track!!!! Love the changes of elevation.

Edited by Bulsara

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

Welcome to the really exciting time. Sounds like bull coming from a novice, but really... It's a very exciting time when the personality of your track develops. And strangely enough, Bulsara's right. Where would we be without the invention of table tennis. :)

Enjoy the journey. It's fun.

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

What would 1/32 and HO slot car racing have done if the table tennis table had never been invented. :)

Great looking track!!!! Love the changes of elevation.

Well my mums imported dining room table would of been getting a workout back during the day! lol

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Well thats true, this table tennis table has been the foundation for many a circuit from my track, even extending it with another table - yes those were the days. Now that I'm doing a permanent track, size of course is a limiting factor. in my youth, I used to set the track up UNDER the pool table while the old man and his mates played pool, I'd be running around under their legs playing with the cars.

Anyway, back to business, the scenery is a lot of fun. I've finished my first corner, part of Shell corner. This is just a trial to see how the different ingredients and colours work. I'm pleased to say its worked out alright. of coutrse there is more to do like little whites fences around the track and probably a sign or two, but its almost there.

IMG_1104.jpg

I have plenty of these little pine trees from a xmas tree we had when I was a kid and i used to pick the little stalks off every christmas. For some reason I've kept them for over 30 years - just for this very day.. :)

I can forsee car crashes at that corner, so I've stuck the trees in using toothpicks, so they can be stuck back in if they come out. I've also sanded down one of thsoe foam blocks you get with flower arrangements and used that as foilage for the branches and on the ground.

IMG_1103.jpg

I'm trying to do as much of this with household ingredients as I can and keep the cost way down. I even stole some dirt from where the dog was digging in the backyard and put it on.

Next step - I'm doing a little creek under the road. Collected some sticks from down the park this morning to make a bridge out of. Should be fun. :lol:

cheers

BT

I have plenty of these little pine trees from a xmas tree we had when I was a kid and i used to pick the little stalks off every christmas. For some reason I've kept them for over 30 years - just for this very day.. :)

Had to have a chuckle at that. And I'm quite sure I'm not the only one with memories of destroying the plastic Xmas tree. But, I'm amazed at the fact that you kept it all.

One thing about working on a tight budget it forces creativity. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I had an idea for some fencing around my shell corner. We've just replaced the flyscreens in our doors so I grabbed the old fly screen material and gave it a quick spray of silver. I had to buy a $3 bottle of silver spray point for this, dammit, so I can't get off scott free. For the posts, i've grabbed some of the missus wooden skewers, which will be nice as they will jab into the big block of styrofoam i'm using as the foundation for the track.

IMG_1105.jpg

Also made a start on the stream and little lake. Hopefully I can find a fisherman or something to put there eventually.

IMG_1106.jpg

cheers

BT

Well its been a fun week but now its time to rest for a bit. I've done most of the mountains at the back now, but there is a lot of finer detail to be done. For the moment its time for a rest and a bit of a cleanup and of course a well earned race around the circuit.

Here is shell corner. Needs more trees, but they can wait. I'll probably put some foilage on the downslopes rather than more forest. I'm always open to any other suggestions.

IMG_1107.jpg

Here is the bridge. Found some very straight sticks one morning whilst walking the dog, so they make wonderful bridge spans. Oh and the water is good old selleys all clear silicone that I had lying around. I'm going to put some railings over it as well, but have to find some narrow square timber. In fact that just gave me an idea - I think I have some long stem red head matches in the cupboard that may just do the trick.

IMG_1109.jpg

And the whole circuit as it stands at the moment. I was going to build some tunnel entrance and exits out of wood, but I still have my telescope foam packaging and believe it or not, it has perfect arches the right size for tunnels. Budget still holding strong :)

IMG_1108.jpg

cheers

BT

Edited by BattleTweety

Your river and briddge look great. Creative budget solution. You're doing well.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was wandering through big w toys yesterday looking for kids presents ideas and I came across this little camper van set complete with people, canoist, chick, dog and truck and even some little plastic trees. Only cost $14.95. It was perfect for the little camping ground I wanted to put in the middle of the track. I'll have to do something to the trees to make them a little more realistic but the other stuff looks fine and the canoist has just braved the rapids coming down through trinity cresent creek.

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

I'm wandering cheap shops now looking for xmas decorations that I can convert to more trees. No luck so far.

cheers

BT

• 3 weeks later...

Well its just about done. After all the issues I had with digital I'm happy to report they're all gone and its now racing really really well. Thank god for whoever invented copper tape.

Here are some recent photo's

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

I'm going to put a few signs in to add some more detail. I found a bunch of trees from the hobby shop that were going cheap so I've put them in the setup as well. Now all I need are some keen racing fans to help me race it. Oh and the wait is on for the new Scalextric Powerboard pro so i hook up the computer..

cheers

BT

Nice work there Tweety!,

Not a fan of plastic as I had a BAAAAAD experience witha Ninco track in mid summer that shrank and I had to off it afterwards.

You've done the plasti-fans proud and the accountant as well!

Regards,

Shane

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

...Click HERE to visit my Viper Valley forum thread...