Perth Hills Rally Track

silver rocket

My rally track is starting to take shape so I thought I'd post some pics up...

1-4.jpg

Track Info

Not sure how many feet it is in length as I haven't measured it yet & I have more track than pictured with heaps of layout options. It is setup on a ping pong table & I've only just started playing with layouts but this stage works pretty good, is quite technical with lots of stop start braking & cars that slide well do good, the super sliding curves are awesome & I plan to add more. A good lap in a non-mag car is about 17 seconds on this layout.

Surface: 75% SCX 25% Scaly Sport.

Hand Control: SCX Pro with either 20 or 45ohms, I mainly run 20ohms...

Scenery: So far I have made some guardrail advertising panels, one background & I have about 90 pine trees so far & I'll add more as I go. I will add grass, buildings & WA road signs etc as I can, a work in progress.

I'd will also paint the track surface to suit the rally style...

Problems

Power: I had was some power issues once I got over about a 12 second lap time but this was sorted with some soldered power taps and I will eventually finish the track with copper tape once I'm happy with the layout.

Timing: The SCX Rally Chrono pack is really good, I rate it highly & would recommend it to anyone. It is well priced, easy to use (only has two buttons) and it times to hundredths, tells you total time, fastest lap & average lap speed. Only problem was that it only times mag cars but this was easily solved by adding a small mag held onto the car with some blu tac about headlight height. Mounted either front or rear it trips the timing without adding traction to the car.

That's it so far so here are a few more pics, hope you enjoy & any constructive critisicm to help make it better is welcome...

5-3.jpg

7-3.jpg

4-4.jpg

6-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

2-4.jpg

I Miss Brocky...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoo hooo! Just need to add some good ol' WA pea gravel and watch 'em fall. Looks like fun.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Looks good SR, great photo's, have you thought about changing your timing setup to avoid adding mag's to cars?

Aastes (forum member) could have a Startline system to suit a 1 lane rally setup.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Looks good.

Is that the track for the WA round of the Ozrally proxy?

If so what are you going to do for timing the proxy cars?

Not 100% sure yet as it hasn't been confirmed but yeah I'm hoping to host a round on it...

Eventually I'll probably get another timing system but I just haven't had the time (two jobs, kids etc) & the SCX one is accurate & reliable so I'll use it for now...

Whoo hooo! Just need to add some good ol' WA pea gravel and watch 'em fall. Looks like fun.

Yeah when I paint that will be my colour scheme...

Looks good SR, great photo's, have you thought about changing your timing setup to avoid adding mag's to cars?

Aastes (forum member) could have a Startline system to suit a 1 lane rally setup.

Yeah as above, will do when I can, the whole track is no where near what I want as a finished product this is just the start... ;)

I Miss Brocky...

Looks good.

Is that the track for the WA round of the Ozrally proxy?

If so what are you going to do for timing the proxy cars?

Not 100% sure yet as it hasn't been confirmed but yeah I'm hoping to host a round on it...

One of us has missed something here Ira

As far as I'm concerned you are round 3 of the series as listed here

ORPS 09/10 tracks

Regards Alan

its abit worrying that this round is soon and no real timing system is running yet

but your track is looking good

I'm not sure why people keep questioning the timing system? It measures down to hundreths, saves your best lap, total time, average lap time & you can run 1, 5, 10, 15 or 20 laps, what else does it need to do?

The mag problem only effects cars with sidewinder motors as the magnet from a normal motor is still enough to trip the timer, it doesnt need a strong mag to trip it....

Am I missing something?

I Miss Brocky...

Am I missing something?

Yes,

the timing system needs to work with all the cars without having to add anything to the cars,so you really need either a dead strip,optical sensor,reed switch or similar to operate the timing system.

Edited by kalbfellp

its abit worrying that this round is soon and no real timing system is running yet

but your track is looking good

I'm not sure why people keep questioning the timing system? It measures down to hundreths, saves your best lap, total time, average lap time & you can run 1, 5, 10, 15 or 20 laps, what else does it need to do?

The mag problem only effects cars with sidewinder motors as the magnet from a normal motor is still enough to trip the timer, it doesnt need a strong mag to trip it....

Am I missing something?

If you have an old computer I could help you out with SlotRaceManager

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Lookin good Ira. It looks like you are putting some thought into the layout. I'm not overly familiar with rally tracks, but it looks like you can fit fairly lengthy tracks into a small space. Once you start painting it, and making things a little more permanent (if that is the plan) it will really look liek a rally stage. Nice job.

Kirk

Lookin good Ira. It looks like you are putting some thought into the layout. I'm not overly familiar with rally tracks, but it looks like you can fit fairly lengthy tracks into a small space. Once you start painting it, and making things a little more permanent (if that is the plan) it will really look liek a rally stage. Nice job.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, yeah I've got some more track ordered & with some elevations added I reckon you could easily get a 25 second single lap just on a table tennis table. But yeah it will all be permanent once I get a layout down pat. I've experimented with various layouts & it's quite surprising just how you can change the feel of a stage by doing a few simple things. One really fun stage is the three drift curves back to back no straights & a loop on each end. sooooo flowy, after ten mins u can like go into a trance.... I've got more drift curves ordered they are awesome to drive, a real rally feel.

My overall theme will be the Perth hills where I live & the Rally Australia stages that were run on them for years. IE lots of sliding drifty curves (pea gravel), hairpins, flyovers & jumps... Only just started experimenting with jumps, step downs seem to be the best so far for keeping the car on...

Oh & I'm getting a reed switch fitted this week at Stanbridges so that the fun police don't cancel my ausproxy round....

It will be copper taped by then also so no power dramas either....

edit: forgot to say when it's done you guys will have to come round for a play & some rally fun....

Edited by silver rocket

I Miss Brocky...

Oh & I'm getting a reed switch fitted this week at Stanbridges so that the fun police don't cancel my ausproxy round....

The track looks fabulous, too bad I am on the other side of the continent. As for the 'fun police', some people are wired negative earth and the ones who enjoy life are wired positive earth. Stay positive my friend and ignore all the doomsday predictions. You have done a wonderful job and your round will be great.

Are you sure you are in Perth? Where are the sandgropers on the layout? LOL.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

Looking good Ira. A bit of scenery and that will be a mint complex little rally stage. Are you going to go with a dense forrest for the scenery like the Perth Hills? It may cost a bit. You could get around it by doing a more gravelly field. We have used a product that gives a really good gravel look if you want to go with something like that.

I have four rolls of copper left over by the way so when you are ready give me a yell if you want it.

Dave

Ira,

Would you ever consider doing a dirt affect like this...

I dont know the ins and outs of having the dust over the track but I think it looks mint. The gravel product would worok really well if you glue it to the track first and then have some 'loose marbles' as well. Alternatively, if the loose marbles arent your bag, then you could probably laquer the gravel over the track to give a gravel type surface anyway. You can check out Copper Mill Raceways gravel traps using the same product tomorrow night anyway.

Dave

Thats a cool video hey Dave one of my favs, it's slightly slo mo but which means your eye sees more details than normal time but yeah it's still a cool vid. I'll def experiment & use something like that eventually or maybe just for one off events as I think you need to seal up the engines, Torre knows more about this & he may be able to shed some light on the subject..

To answer your previous post it won't be all trees but I want a tree section where you go into some dense trees & then come out again. It will have various scenery, lots of gravel (thanks for the offer of that gravel stuff will grab it tonight) some rocks, a few buildings, a workshop etc. Found these wheels yesterday on a car at a budjet shop for $12

wheel.jpg

Got the idea from your tractor tyres & kept a look out :P I'll sand back the wrangler text so it just says goodyear & painted white with rusty metal inserts instead of silver I reckon they will come up okay, $3 a pop can't go wrong & they are about the right size too...

Torre you posted some pics on SCX worldwide forums in one of the proxy threads showing a painted track sayin it was the track for the last round which would be a "dirt" rally, I looked but couldn't find them again if you would so kind to post one here or the link to one, Dave this track looks really nice & is what I'm aspiring to achieve.

Also Dave check this for a cool hill climb track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl7QqN277N0...feature=related

& another one of my favs

In terms of undulations my track will prolly look something like this

with rasied up bits to fit more track in.

My table is currently 1.5m x 2.4m but I've got a sheet of mdf that is 2.4m x 4.2m so I'm thinkin I will put it on this board and just lay that on top of the table tennis table with some corner supports. By my rough calculations I reckon I could fit get a one minute lap in this space, but yeah thats the final plan....

See you tonight Dave! :D

Edited by silver rocket

I Miss Brocky...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a quick track update as I've been playing lots & the layout is pretty close to final now. Don't mind the spray cans & roller sleeve supports proper ones are currently under construction....

Some corners I ordered ages have finally arrived so there are a few minor changes in the layout and then I will tape it.

It's out to about 25-30 secs a lap now, not bad for a ping-pong table I reckon.... :D

The cross over bits work good as the only bits where u cant see the car is on straights underneath & it's sorta cool how the car flashes in & out.

8-1.jpg

From the other end

10-2.jpg

I brought a scalextric jump ramp, cut them down the middle & they make sweet jumps!

The take off has power & it just clips onto any track so you can put them where ever you want & position the landing either short so you sorta gotta brake before you hit em & really time it. Or really a fair way apart so you need speed & if you stuff the corner before it you come up short. They are so cool & being able to move them around the track totally changes the way some parts are driven & once you get bored just move em. They would be a great addition to any rally track & for about $30 for two jumps it's a steal....

9-3.jpg

Next step is to make the elevations permanent, tape it with copper tape, and do the scenery. Dave had some left over copper tape from his track which I brought off him & he was kind enough to give me a heap of left over gravel, grass & various other scenery stuff which was awesome, thanks Dave!

Scenery & permant track support update soon.... :o

Edited by silver rocket

I Miss Brocky...

nice :-) i was looking at the jumps didnt think they would work to well... does it do any damage to the cars ?

I'd be a bit worried about cars with drop arms. Other than that OK IMO.

Silver Rocket.: Liked your earlier track better. I have 3 simple bridges/overpasses and one of the leading cars in the proxy rally this week deslotted and ended up under a bridge and the marshall took toooo long to find it costing an extra couple of seconds. Devastating to the owner at the point end.

Flip

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi Ira

I have to agree with Flipper

The landing ramp is going to be a problem for the cars fitted with droparm. the droparm may drop down and snag the ramp , risking damage to the car.

The original layout would be my preference for your rally proxy round Thankyou

Alan

nice :-) i was looking at the jumps didnt think they would work to well... does it do any damage to the cars ?
I havent really used them lots yet so I dont really know but so far they havent done any damage. If you had them far apart I could see potential for some carnage but yeah I think where you put them will make a difference like as a step down or step up would put less stress on the car as jump to flat.

Silver Rocket.: Liked your earlier track better. I have 3 simple bridges/overpasses and one of the leading cars in the proxy rally this week deslotted and ended up under a bridge and the marshall took toooo long to find it costing an extra couple of seconds. Devastating to the owner at the point end.

I did take this into consideration and Ill take some more pics from a diff angle so you can see better but there arent any corners under the overpasses only straights so the chance of deslot is highley unlikey. Anyway I used to race cars, karts & some speedway & I can tell you nothing about motor racing is fair... Sometimes your the guy who loses the lead & sometimes your the guy who gains the led so to me it's all part of it anyway...

Hi Ira

I have to agree with Flipper

The landing ramp is going to be a problem for the cars fitted with droparm. the droparm may drop down and snag the ramp , risking damage to the car.

The original layout would be my preference for your rally proxy round Thankyou

Alan

Cool no worries, the ramps just clip on so they can easily be removed and I'll just take them off for the proxy round & we wont use them....

Edited by silver rocket

I Miss Brocky...