A Tale Of Two Porsches - The Other One

SlotsNZ

Last month I took this Home Series ScaleAuto Porsche 911 GT

porsche1.jpg

And gave it the bench tune treatment. - you can read the article HERE

porsche21.jpg

This month I open up the "Racing" version of the same car.

porsche22.jpg

So what is the difference, what do you get extra for that $20?

The front hubs are press-on plastic as before, but the rears are alloy with M2 grubs. Both pairs of hubs measure 17.2 x 8 mm at centre, and with original

tyres fitted, measure 19.65mm O.D.

porsche23.jpg

This is a podded angle-winder powered by ScaleAuto's 20k standard FK-180 motor that has 285g/cm of torque - which equates to about 14 watts power.

- As comparison the Slot.it yellow can Flat-6 fitted to their GT and LMP cars is 21k with 200 g/cm, torque for 10.5 watts; the standard NSR King is 14.4 watts,

- (21k but slightly less torque), and the Slot.it Boxer-2 is 21.5k with 340 g/cm torque for 18.3 watts.

So it sits mid range among GT cars for overall power, and should be legal in most clubs GT classes - do check your rules.

porsche24.jpg

I would describe the chassis as a "medium", not hard, but not super flexi like for plastic tracks. The pod is rigid as needed for wood track racing.

The chassis exhibited a bit of end-to end bow ex the injection molding process; so I did the usual, giving it a hot water bath on the magnet plate.

This only needed one pour of boiling water, as it came out pancake flat once the water cooled. Gearing is 11:27, an in similar fashion to the Home Series

car, red grease had been applied to the gears, and the motor either run, or turned manually to distribute this.

porsche25.jpg

There is a fair bit of substance in the pod design where the corner of the motor mount section flows into the drive side axle bearing holder, and the motor is

fixed into the pod with screws both sides. I am hopeful this will work well on high grip tracks without additional bracing. I have removed the small magnet that

sits at rear of pod below the axle, as it is adding more weight at the back of the car, and angle-winders are already more tail heavy than is optimal on most

tracks for wood racing.

On plastic, you probably want to retain the magnet, as the motor is closed-can with almost nil down-force (5 g/cm)

A light-weight stopper near right rear wheel the prevents lateral movement and ensures the gear mesh doesn't alter once set. When unboxed, there was

about 0.5mm lateral movement. When I saw Europeans setting up cars for plastic track I was told this is normal; preventing anything locking up, and helps

with the cornering. - I don't like this arrangement for wood racing, I adjusted it to just free spinning, ie no movement at all.

The guide is "stock" similar size to those fitted to most other good hobby brand cars as standard. Unlike the Home Series car, this had no axle height inserts.

Instead, it came with grub screws already fitted as per our more common tuning conventions. The braid was that hard stuff for plastic track, so I replaced

that with soft 0.5mm braid. This left almost a mm of naked guide out of the slot with the car viewed side on, so I was able to raise the axle and drop the nose

by adjusting the grub screws so the guide sits full depth in the slot.

Getting your guide as deep in the slot as possible helps both with cornering stability, and to counter the "nose lift" which occurs when these more powerful

motors accelerate out of corners.

I have replaced the rear tyres with ScaleAuto SC-4728 "20 x 10" soft; which measure 20.2mm O.D. when fitted, but after truing this dropped back to

about 20.0mm even. I need to knock this diameter back, as I want to retain as much gap as possible between the tyres and inside of the wheel arch.

They are not edge-profiled on the outside edge. I will also do this while on the tyre lathe, to enable more body float.

I will probably need 8 or more grams of weight near the guide to counter "lift" and to adjust the front to rear balance closer to that magic 40:60 front/rear

balance that is always a good start point when tuning a car for your track. That weight can be added during track testing.

Note that these tyres are very low shore - less than A-shore 20 according to ScaleAuto, and the compound is similar to Slot.it F15 or NSR "Extreme".

That means if you overheat them by applying too much force resistance doing truing, they WILL ball up, and turn to a sticky mess, proceed carefully.

The fronts themselves are reduced to about 19.4mm diameter after the glue and true process. The splitter has only 0.5mm clearance.

porsche22.jpg

Setting up one of these podded cars to go well without magnets is initially less work than a Home Series car, but with the much higher powered motor,

they need to be done well, as higher motor power exposes tuning faults very quickly.

Below is Circuito Bahia Vista; the same technical 20 metre layout as used in last month's article for testing the ScaleAuto Home Series Porsche

which achieved a respectable 6.8.

bahiavista.jpg

The all-comers lap record on this track is a 6.1, so keep that in mind as you read on.

I was keen to see how this "R" series car performed. But first I ran some Group 5 cars from my own racing stable, which I know to be well set up and fast

on all tracks.

porsche26.jpg

With the lower powered Group 5 (Slot.it orange bell), I eventually knocked over a high 6.5, and for the other two, which both have easy handling

sidewinder setups with Slot.it "red-Bell" 29k motors, I managed 6.4s and 6.3s One of these cars placed 2nd overall in the New Zealand Group 5 proxy

series two or three years back.

That BMW has since been further "improved" and was dominant in club racing just three weeks ago, so how does our little Porsche fare first up?

porsche27.jpg

I came away from home without any lead for weight tuning, so I had to improvise with just 2 grams of blu-tak I found in my mobile "kit".

Well it was pretty quiet, and seemed stable, so I gave it some curry. Within five laps I laid down a low 6.3 WOW ! I didn't expect that.

In the end, despite my belief it had a 6.2 in it, I never went below this 6.32 time, but I managed quite a lot of 6.3s and 6.4s That is better than 3 metres per

second average lap speed, for a very technical circuit; and surprised me; having done no live tuning. I could easily run this in our GT3 class at club without

any further development. With that bit more weight in the nose, I think a 6.2 would have been easily achieved.

So my verdict is: These ScaleAuto "R" series cars can foot it against any of the other top makers with just the usual tuning. Most pleasing was that it

showed no signs at all of shudder under heavy load coming out of all the tight turns with a torquey FK-180 boxer type motor in angle-winder setup.

ScaleAuto have done a very good job developing their new chassis and pods. Thank you Ivan.

As one customer put it after tuning his first ScaleAuto GT, which has the same pod and running gear as this Porsche 911

“ Very pleased with Viper. Performance on par with NSR C6 Corvette.”

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I have that exact car too, and it performs in the same way.

I think it due to the fact that even though it is a high torque motor, ScaleAuto have correctly offset that with the tall gearing.

As such, the power delivery is smoother, and they are actually very nice to drive.

As with all things, there is a caveat...

Not all of the 'R' series will come with the Red pod, and not even all of the same part number will either.

The other pod that is regularly seen in them is the black pod, which is slightly softer.

Certainly the earlier ones had different pods, the quality of pods and chassis in years gone by was a bit of a moving target.

But now we are getting advance product pics which include the naked underbelly, so if anyone received a car of the latest series that SHOULD have the hard red pod, that didn't have it down-under, someone in Antipodean distribution would replace it and send a *^# up to Spain.

- But the stock I have received has been consistent, some earlier models have earlier pods, all the latest models have red bellys . . . so far . . . says he . . . possibly activating Murphy's law.

Trouble is, new series of cars, new adventure, I keep wanting to pull another one out of the box and give it the curry and another one . . . and I just have to slap myself sideways and say enough is enough.

Next article will be on the Slot.it DTMs, then I am not sure what - anyone fancy a Huracan tune article ? Something else ?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The 'club' Porsches in the cardboard box have all come randomly with either a red, or a black pod, sometimes even 1 of each in the same order...

A GT2/3 cross brand shootout would be cool...

The 'club' Porsches in the cardboard box have all come randomly with either a red, or a black pod, sometimes even 1 of each in the same order...

I'll mention that to Spain.

A GT2/3 cross brand shootout would be cool...

You mean as in line up the NSR, ScaleAuto, Scaley and ?? brand 911 GT2 and 3 Porsches for a "one make" race series.... Who else does the modern 911? ( Ninco's lexan things don't count :) )

Hey El Marko, I am looking at buying this car from you, Opel Calibra V6 #17 DTM Winner Norisring ITC 1996 CA36b Slot.it, If you want to use it for a tune up article feel free and I will pay for any extra parts/time used. I may need this car for a race meeting in Napier later in the year!!!

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Hey El Marko, I am looking at buying this car from you, Opel Calibra V6 #17 DTM Winner Norisring ITC 1996 CA36b Slot.it, If you want to use it for a tune up article feel free and I will pay for any extra parts/time used. I may need this car for a race meeting in Napier later in the year!!!

eeeeee monsignor Branco esq. . I can add you to the preferential early entries. - The rumour mill I instigated has 9 travelers already you would make it 10 . . . looking great for September. Official announcement 1st March - but it is the 7th to 9th September if you want to look at flights.

Sadly, I already tuned one each of the models, as I wanted to build the rules the best way possible. Anyway - your builds are fast enough and plenty, you sure don't need me assisting

You mean as in line up the NSR, ScaleAuto, Scaley and ?? brand 911 GT2 and 3 Porsches for a "one make" race series.... Who else does the modern 911? ( Ninco's lexan things don't count :) )

I wasn't thinking just 911's, but that could be cool too...

There is also the RevoSlot, the Scaley with a PCR Chassis + Slot.it running gear, and NSR/ScaleAuto in both long and short can configs...

I think Carrera, Fly and SCX (and SCX Pro) make them too, but I'm not sure they are current models.

Edited by shadow_rusty