2018 Atcc/bathurst Proxy

David Carter

I am officially announcing the 2018 ATCC/Bathurst proxy

this is a brand new proxy and will be running for the first time next year

I would expect that the rules will evolve over time as need be

I will be opening up for entries from Saturday 7th October

a month earlier than I would have normally but I want to give plenty of time for people

to build a new car

first race will be around the 5th April and cars due by end of March

I will confirm all dates as they are confirmed

at this stage there will be 8 races with the best 7 going to the total points tally

all tracks will be wood routed tracks only

There is a maximum of 6 of each model (irrespective of livery or brand) that can be entered.

etc : no more than 6 Ford Falcons or 6 Holden Toranas

here are the official rules

Australian Touring Car Championship / Bathurst Proxy

ATCC/Bathurst Proxy

Cars that raced in the Australian Touring Car Championship and Bathurst { the great race } from 1960 - 1989

at this stage there will be 2 classes based on body width

cars must be reasonable 1/32 scale representations of an original style of ATCC/Bathurst car

must be no more than 10% under or over true 1/1 scale

CLASS A cars with a body width of 55mm - 63mm

CLASS B cars with a body width of up to 54.9mm

this will proberly evolve as needed

BODY

must be made from plastic or resin

no vac formed bodies allowed

must have windows and must be clear

lexan windows are allowed

a small amount of material may be removed from the inside of body for the purpose of clearance for the wheels/tyres and body float only

mirrors,wipers are not needed and can be removed as so not to get damaged or lost

No external alterations to size of wheel arches, wings, or roof line allowed, other than for the purpose “correcting” one model of similar lineage into the correct body characteristics of the actual version raced

fantasy liveries are allowed but must be of the time period in which the model of car raced in

race numbers must be present and in the correct position for the time period

INTERIOR

car must have a interior with roll cage fitted and no chassis/wheels components should be seen while looking from above

pancake style interiors are allowed

driver,steering wheel, seats,dash and roll cage must be 3D

Driver must consist of at least half arms, shoulder's and head with period helmet made from plastic or resin

roll cage can be made from plastic, resin or brass/wire

steering wheel must be made from plastic or resin

no vac formed drivers,steering wheels or roll cages

CHASSIS

chassis must be of a non podded design in a sidewinder, inline or anglewinder set up

chassis material may be made of plastic, resin, circuit board,carbon fiber,fiber glass, brass and piano wire, metal

but no super high performance metal chassis allowed { if you are unsure just ask in the proxy thread }

chassis can be modified

motor pods may be used for ease of engineering purposes but must be glued to chassis or run tight

bracing of guide mount, chassis and motor to axle bushes is allowed using any material

free choice of axles, spacers and axle bushes

free choice of RTR guide and must not be seen when looking from above { must fit under the body }

only one guide may be fitted

all 4 wheels must touch set up board { no tri-pod set ups }

3D printed chassis like shapeways are a good way of setting up a car with a better style and motor set chassis

so long as they fit with the motor pod use rule

NOTE : IF USING A SLOT-IT WOOD GUIDE IT IS BEST TO REMOVE APPROX 1MM OFF OF THE BOTTOM

AS SOME TRACKS CAN HAVE GUIDE BOTTOMING OUT ISSUES

GEARS/MOTOR

motor must be 18k max according to manufacturer's specs and must be of a RTR brand

motor shaft can be shortened for clearance purposes

free choice of motor wires and braids

free choice of any RTR brand gears and gear ratio allowed

WHEELS/TYRES

free choice of wheels but must have 15x10 max size

period inserts must be fitted

free choice of tyres but no silicon's { if unsure on what works best just ask in the proxy thread }

friction free coatings on front tyres are allowed but must be clear and stable

coning or filing of front tyres is allowed so long as there is a minimum of 2mm width contact with set up board

all tyres must be black in color

all wheels/tyres must be with in the wheel arches and not seen when looking from above

wheels must be centered in the wheel arches with in + or - 1mm

NO TYRE TREATMENT ALLOWED

BALLAST

ballast weight is allowed

must be fitted with in the chassis and body

CLEARANCE

all chassis components { except guide } must have a .75mm clearance from the front axle to the rear of chassis including the gears at tech check

then a minimum of .5mm for the rest of the rounds

body must have a minimum of .5mm at the front and minimum of .75mm from rear of front wheel arches to the rear of the body

please use your common sense as a guide

I have lowered the clearance rule from past proxy's to help make it a bit easier to set up

cars that are deemed to low and may cause track surface damage by host will not run in that round

all will be checked on cars arrival

I have tried to make these rules to allow a reasonable amount of freedom with building/setup but have the cars looking fairly good on the track

THE ONUS IS ON THE ENTRANT TO MAKE SURE CARS ARE BUILT/SET UP TO THE RULES ABOVE

PENALTIES

1 - non-compliant mechanical and car set up issues including wheels/tyres at scrutineering - 5 points per non compliant round

2 - repair of mechanical failure deemed not to be caused - 5 points

primarily by accident damage

3 - car not run due to hosts discretion because of clearance issues - no points will be awarded for that round

4 - All other non-specified events requiring vehicle work penalty - if any will be based on a principle of reasonable fairness to all entrants at sole discretion and decision of the organizers

entries open from the 7th October so please wait until then to put your name in the hat

Edited by David Carter

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

HI Dave - sounds great. Can I quickly clarify the shapeway's / 3D printed chassis situation.

You say chassis must be of a non podded design in a sidewinder, inline or anglewinder set up

But then mention "3D printed chassis like shapeways are a good way of setting up a car with a better style and motor set chassis

so long as they fit with the motor pod use rule"

As most 3D printed chassis are podded design. I just want to clarify my understanding : we can use 3D printed chassis designed for pods... if... pod is glued OR or screwed in tight?

& last question could this same rule apply to the Scalextric PCR Chassis ? I assume not.

Cheers

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

HI Dave - sounds great. Can I quickly clarify the shapeway's / 3D printed chassis situation.

You say chassis must be of a non podded design in a sidewinder, inline or anglewinder set up

But then mention "3D printed chassis like shapeways are a good way of setting up a car with a better style and motor set chassis

so long as they fit with the motor pod use rule"

As most 3D printed chassis are podded design. I just want to clarify my understanding : we can use 3D printed chassis designed for pods... if... pod is glued OR or screwed in tight?

& last question could this same rule apply to the Scalextric PCR Chassis ? I assume not.

Cheers

yes you can use a podded chassis just so long the pod is fixed

the idea behind being able to use them is to make setting up a car that is say for example a inline as standard into a sidewinder

a bit easier if possible

saves hacking up a good standard chassis that you may want to keep as is

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi David.

I am keen to enter but motor aside it appears my existing Scaly Holden V8 as entered in current Touring Car Proxy in Aussie/Canada/USA will not be eligible. Body has been lightened. Like Idea however of non-podded.

At this stage I will build another Scaly Holden but the narrow Class B is a bit of a draw card. Will have to see what bodies/cars are available. Would you put me down for Holden in meantime please.

Can you perhaps assemble a list of eligible cars for each class? With this in mind is there a time period for prototypes.

Regards and great initiative.

Chas Le Breton

Scaly Holden V8

if you are referring to the scaly Holden V8 super car is not eligible as they are to late of year

it is cars up to 1989

Can you perhaps assemble a list of eligible cars for each class? With this in mind is there a time period for prototypes.

I will sort some links but a quick search will reveal plenty of cars eligible

will be good to have aboard

entries open on the 7th

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi Guys, entries are now open for the 2018 ATCC/Bathurst proxy series

Once car details and payment have been confirmed, that entry will then become officially placed 'on the grid'.

Entries will only be officially accepted once full payment has been received with entrant’s name and car details.

at this stage there is a maximum of 24 cars to be entered in the 2018 ATCC/Bathurst Proxy Series so the first 24 cars that are officially accepted get to race.

if there is enough interest I will look at allowing a few more cars to be entered and race

Entry fees will be – NZ20.00, AU20.00, US20.00, EURO15.00 per car. The entry fee is non refundable.

If you are from outside of the Napier area it would be best to e-mail me [mini70clubman@gmail.com] for payment details, that way I can keep track much easier, I wouldn’t want any one to miss out.

If you are unable to determine if the car you want to enter is suitable for ATCC/Bathurst check this link https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1pb_O7tzWAhWHULwKHcPmBUQQFgg1MAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAustralian_Touring_Car_Championship&usg=AOvVaw0RXpgtinFQgeiW9YR30n6f { go to bottom of page and there is a list of years for Australian Touring Car Championship from 1960 - 1998 just remember this proxy only goes up to 1989 } and consult with Mr Google. If that fails then you can e-mail me with the details you have or ask in this thread

Please note that I won’t do any research for you. To make a decision I will need => car make and model, livery, year it raced, driver and number that raced it, which track and date at that track it was raced.

I will make a call and let you know if it fits or not.

the first 24 cars that are officially accepted get to race.

At this stage I will only accept 1 car per entrant to allow more guys to enter. If there is room later on, I will open up for double entries to a maximum of two cars Entries will close on March 23rd or earlier if a full field of 24 cars has been reached.

I will keep you all posted via this forum on how the entries are going.

Once there is a full field of 24 cars or if there is room for more Cars to be entered, I will advise this on this forum at an appropriate time.

on the proviso that the 2 cars must not be in the same class

I will keep you all posted in this forum about how the entries are progressing and if/when there is room to allow double entries. Once a car has been officially accepted it cannot be exchanged for another car.

ATCC/Bathurst cars need to get to me for the Tech Check no later than March 30th

That gives you plenty of time to get your car ready to race and to me for the Tech Check.

Cars can be sent to me for the tech check at any time before 30th March, my address is……..

David Carter

15 Chester St

Taradale 4112

Napier

New Zealand

Cars will be checked as they arrive, if for some reason a car doesn’t pass the Tech Check I will contact the owner via e-mail/PM and go from there.

Once the car passes the Tech Check it will be safely impounded until required for the 1st race

and I will post a pic of the car with owners name and some car details

there will be 8 Races that make up the Series but only the best 7 results will be included for the points tally.

Get your cars ready to race!!!!!!!

2018 ATCC/Bathurst Proxy Series Race format

There are to be 8 races, however only the best 7 race results go towards the championship title.

All racing is to be of a timed format only. Total race length of each race is to be 8 OR 9 minutes.

The minimum total race time per car should be no shorter than 8 minutes total race time. eg. 2 minutes per lane

on a four lane track, and 3 minutes per lane on a three lane track with partial laps recorded in no less detail than 10th of lap.

Race Points

All cars will be allocated points based on their overall finishing position of each race irrespective of their class.

At the end of the race the winner is awarded 100 points, 2nd place gets 98 points, 3rd place gets 96 points etc………

(no points will be awarded for qualifying)

the worst race result for each entrant will not be counted for the class championship.

ie; only the best 7 results from 8 races will count towards the Proxy Series championship.

If any Penalty points are incurred during initial scrutineering they will be taken off the earned points from Race 1.

Any other Penalty points incurred will be taken off the earned points when appropriate.

DISCLAIMER

The organizer of the 2018 ATCC/Bathurst proxy Series is David Carter

During the setting up and running of this series Dave may co-opt local hosts or others to assist in determining matters arising.

The organizer’s decision is final and no appeal is available.

The organizer also reserves the right to withdraw any entry should the need arise.

Entrants should understand that no responsibility is accepted by the organizer, hosts or participants of any of the NZ Proxy Race Series for the loss and/or damage to your cars or equipment supplied either before, during or after the series is conducted

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

entry list to date

David carter - Ford XY GTHO #63E Bill Brown

Gas41T - Ford Falcon XC/XB

Munter- Ford XY GTHO

capri-corn7 - Ford Capri MK1

Aloha - Ford Falcon XB #2 Allan Moffat

Terry - Ford Falcon XC/XB

Peter Gunn - 67-68 Chevy Camaro

Drew Vessy - XB/XC falcon

Edited by David Carter

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

So would I be correct in assuming that 5 of the 6 falcon spots have gone?

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Could be but the XB/XC cars are different to the XY so maybe not....Dave?

correct I should have made that more clear

XB/XC will be classed as the same model and the XY another model

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

no the XB/XC and the XY will be classed as different and so will the likes of the Torana

Edited by David Carter

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.