Round One Shelmore Park Rally Complex

kalbfellp

The spectators gathered to watch the opening round of the 2014/2015 Oz Rally proxy.

Spectators_zps18271339.jpg

Rusty's Pro Truck was a favorite with the fans.

truckfans_zps5d5e0b64.jpg

Gazza's Bowler 3 wheeled on this down hill turn most laps.

bowler3wheel_zps71ff6e90.jpg

My X5 BMW was a lot better behaved but not as fast.

X518_zpsdc21ffb7.jpg

Bens Buggy also was well behaved,only sliding a bit.

Buggy15_zps8272b872.jpg

Craigs VWlooked great and handled well, results don't reflect how good this car is.

VW_zps36253188.jpg

GAS41T X5 lacked the grip of the eurethane tyred cars,BUT that may be an advantage in other rounds

X521_zpscc0dd90a.jpg

mivesons Buggy at speed bouncing off the gaurd rail

Buggy_zps9e2055f4.jpg

I built this Lancer for the Grand kids to run, another bad decision,should have kept it for my entry.

Lancer_zps5d5fdabb.jpg

It is over powered with the standard motor,BUT a diode to reduce the voltage has helped.

Now the important bit!

Raidresults_zpsa1ae328d.jpg

There was nothing between the first two cars, Rusty's Pro Truck is great, just a little harder to drive on this track,it will be very hard to beat on the faster more open tracks.

The Avant Lancer is good,bit slower than Rusty's BUT easier to drive.

My X5 is just slow lacks the go of the other Ninco's. Mivesons buggy could do with some more development.

Gazza's Bowler has very large diameter, grippy rear tyres and is great to drive thru the flat sections BUT had trouble in both stages with the down hill corners,3 wheeling thru them,looked great BUT causing sone deslots.

Craigs VW Touareg felt good to drive BUT just did not return the times I thought it should.

The last two cars,both running rubber tyres just did not have the grip so bounced off the scenery a lot in all the narrow sections.

The WRC cars are next up ASAP.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not own a raid truck but looking forward to running a round at MSP. Might have to source one to use as the course marshal on the day and see if I can whip a few arses :P

Great to see the circus on the road Phil

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Wow, did not expect to be at the pointy end...

Congrats to the 'Kid's on their top spot and Miveson for third...

After much testing, here's what I settled with...

25g of lead split between each side of the chassis, and positioned towards the rear.

Urethane tyres on the rear (thanks Phil, they are working great).

Removed the suspension.

Added spacers to the front axle to centre it.

Glued the bushings in the upper position at the rear, and about the middle at the front (To meet minimum chassis clearance).

Truck was still a little tippy, so I super glued the outside sidewall on the rear tyres.

And for the biggest change, trued all the tyres.

It's actually quicker than my RS200 arround my targa track...

Which isn't really suprising with those powerful long can NC-2 equivelant motors...

Edited by shadow_rusty

I built this Lancer for the Grand kids to run, another bad decision,should have kept it for my entry.

Lancer_zps5d5fdabb.jpg

Awesome shot with the front wheel in the air... Love it...

ps. All the photo's were great, and looking forward to the next two classes and what you do with them...

Edit:

It is over powered with the standard motor,BUT a diode to reduce the voltage has helped.

Just saw this... Did you put 1 in each direction (in parrallel on the same wire)? If not, you may not get any brakes which could affect it's handling on some tracks.

Edited by shadow_rusty

GAS, my raid has standard tyres, Avant slot I think, we can have our own competition....... I didn't consider looking into aftermarket tyres as I didn't think it could cope with the extra grip, apparently I was wrong and there is a 1 second per lap difference. Also, I was kind of hoping that the rules would state that the tyres had to have tread showing and that suspension must be kept. A rigid car with slick tyres does not make a raid car, but I can see why the rules are the way they are and happy to run with them.

Thanks for the pics and the feedback Phil, and well done to those at the pointy end.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

I did notice that Gazza's car appears to have MJK tyres.

Ben you may be right about the extra grip,Gazza's car had way too much grip for this track. Only time will tell what is the best choice.

This year is a "see how we go year" Rules may be modified if we run them next year, might be Ninco only next year!

Rusty re diodes YES a small one piggy backed to provide brakes.Had two in BUT car seemed A BIT SLOW, was the report from the 14 year old test driver!

It suited thisi old block with the two.

For the new entrants this is the Shelmore Rally track.

It is built on one sheet of MDF 2.4 x 1.2.

A couple of corners have had some minor realignment since last year, BUT the scenery is very close to the road in some places.

Surface finish is a combination of Ferrodore,Dulux Suede and Dulux Stone. Timing is via Race Coordinator Via Ardunio board.

wholetrack_zps1b1b6f9b.jpg

Edited by kalbfellp

The MJK's on the back of my raid are the standard MJK truck tyres, they fitted the Bowler ok, but the wheel diameter of the other raids is a bit smaller and wouldn't fit, that's why the Bowler got a run

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

IMG_2386_zpsbc091638.jpg

Peter Gunns Celica, neat handling for a Team Slot!

IMG_2387_zpsdeafa4e2.jpg

GAS41T Ninco C4

IMG_2388_zps793413dd.jpg

Knealer Avant 207 very good car.

IMG_2389_zpsbd62448f.jpg

Stubbo's Ninco Focus struggled for grip but fast.

IMG_2390_zps6c1a0861.jpg

Charles's Ninco Subaru back for another year, seems better this year very good car.

IMG_2391_zps41197108.jpg

AMCC Ninco Pug. Build 3 years ago and never used, BUT after seeing how Stacks went last year inspired the entry.

Build and tuned on this track.

IMG_2392_zpscc75df6b.jpg

Mels Ninco C4 needs a wash!

IMG_2395_zpsb686cab5.jpg

Gazzas Ninco Focus back again after last years win.Mechanical problems held this car back this round.

IMG_2396_zps4418b713.jpg

NTZ 's Avant Pug 207 very light,could do with some more weight.

IMG_2397_zps7af6c683.jpg

Alexis's Scalex Subaru good car.

IMG_2398_zpsac1ea419.jpg

Cures Ninco Powered SCX Xsara, very good easy to drive,smooth.

IMG_2400_zps9f2f41e0.jpg

Embers "SWEET" Team Slot Celica back again. Handling just not right for this track.

WRCResults_zps684778f4.jpg

Not much to pick from the top 4 cars. Charles car was very fast, two offs in Stage 1 hurt his chance of an outright win.

A few car struggled for grip especially in Stage 1 direction.

Embers car was like a dog going for its nightly walk wanted to cock its leg at most corners, Stubbo struggled for grip But was fast.

Gazzas car did not seem as smooth as last year,BUT found that the rear axle bearing had come out of the pillar block during stage 1, it came out again during stage 2, so now glued back it.

Watch this one more up next few rounds.

Knealers Avant 207 is very good, could possible have a few grams more weight.

The lighter cars all struggled because of the scenery here, the better cars all would bounce off the scenery withour deslotting so could be driven harder.

The Historic car will be run during the weekend.

Edited by kalbfellp

Thanks Phil. Not really expecting much of a sugar rush from this one. I had another chassis tuned and running sweetly but broke the darned think at the last minute. No, I don't know how. I was going to scratch the car but remembered the old one from the SCM Celica. A swap at the last minute and a single lap of the track to make sure it worked.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

When you look at the lap times there is not a bad car in the field! It is that the top few cars were able to be driven on the limit and not falling off.

The more open Victorian tracks may deliver some different results, where the cars can slide about more.

Stubbo Do you know how old the tyres are?

The ones that were on the kids car had no grip, they were about 12 months old, so I got some new ones from Armchair late October and they are great. I wonder if they loose grip with age?

Had some warm up Laps with the Historics, bad news for your Lancia!

Alexis check out the stage 2 times, much better that direction.

Each stage is 23 laps so to loose 2 or 3 seconds is still very good.

Edited by kalbfellp

The Historic cars had their two Stages today.

IMG_2405_zpsa5024a0e.jpg

Fabians Avant Alpine is very fast,BUT IMO a little light for Shelmore track,BUT watch this one.Great fun to drive.

IMG_2401_zpsca24e41e.jpg

Boss 302 Team Slot Renault is a real surprize,Bruce is not known for great car preparation but this one is very good and very easy to drive.

IMG_2402_zpsb6998124.jpg

Alexis MSC Metro just did not seem to have the grip here BUT very smooth and easy to drive,

IMG_2403_zps531671d9.jpg

Aquakiwi's Stratos is a very big improvement over last years car,nice car,just needs a bit more development.

IMG_2404_zps5eaef972.jpg

Branco Ninco Lancia looks great,but lacks weight and power,

IMG_2406_zps22d2944f.jpg

My Metro, has had a gear change and new tyres from last year trying to make it smoother and easier to drive.

Still not as good as I would have liked.

IMG_2407_zpsd5ed848b.jpg

CharlesX ( BillX) Scalex RS200 still same handgranade motor as last year so very hard to drive smooth.

IMG_2408_zps9cfa741f.jpg

Matt Tucker Opel with small tyres handled well, but a bit narrow, nice to drive.

IMG_2409_zpse3dbc1bb.jpg

NTZ Slotter Opel still sounds like being inside a WRC car, big car for this tight track. Does not like hitting any scenery!

IMG_2411_zps0d66348a.jpg

Mels Fly Racing Porsche, dissapointing with the times as it felt fast and good to drive,could do with more grip, on this track.

IMG_2412_zps909a750f.jpg

GAS41T MSC RS200 Very fast in Stage 1 Just not as good for stage 2,still a very good car.

IMG_2413_zps0a68d5ed.jpg

Stubbos Ninco Lancia, just lacks grip and wants to hit all the banks,I think if this car had better tyres in would be really good.

IMG_2414_zpsc6af8ad3.jpg

Very good car, a bit wide for here,results do not reflect how good it is.

IMG_2415_zps15c007d8.jpg

Embers MSC Rs 200, if here Celica wanted to cock its legs on all the corners it is because it was watching this car!

Plenty of grip and not enought weight lifting wheels on most corners.

IMG_2416_zps338185d1.jpg

Rusty's Scalex RS200 returns after a good run last year,Very easy to drive,just a little off the pace. BUT should still end up with some very good points.

IMG_2417_zps9b173c39.jpg

Mivesons Scalex MINI! What can I say? It actually is fun to drive and handles well for the width of tyres.No matter how hard I tried I could not hit any scenery!

IMG_2418_zpsa972b4cd.jpg

Peter Gunns MSC RS200 Fast car, just tended to de slot for no reason.I think we will see some good performance from this car on other tracks.

HistoricResults_zps665c668d.jpg

How close is that for finish? IMO any of the first 11 cars could win this.There is very little in lap times

so it comes down to drivability on the other tracks.

Appart from poor grip on a few cars,they are all very good cars, thanks everyone for all the work to get them here abd so well prepared.

Edited by kalbfellp

Thanks for the report on this round Phil.

Great pics.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion