Round 4 Marsden Park

Terry

Cars arrived today,all good and all cars seem to be in good nick.

After a bit of a look at these little beauties i gave the cars a brief run just to see if there were any issues before I qualify the cars tomorrow morning,don't take too much notice of these times or where you are in relation to where you think you should be,its more of a shakedown for me to understand the cars before I give them a harder run for qualifying.

#7 Old23 5.049

#17 AMCC Grandkids 5.061

#3 Slo1 5.142

#13 Mrollingthunder 5.192

#22 Pauls Slots 5.204

#1 Stubbo 5.222

#47 Phil Kalbfell 5.261

#14 Newso 5.261

#48 CharlesX 5.315

#78 Manimmal 5.370

#9 RIR 5.436

#4 LennyBroke 5.452

#20 Miveson 5.471

#2 Spoons 5.542

#26 FPR7 5.587

#69 Ferrari1950 5.711

#38 Alexis in Greece 6.053

More to follow tomorrow,

Terry

Qualifying has been done.

You will like this Stewart,your Cooper is a real treat to drive.

1. #7 Old23 4.916

2. #47 Phil K 4.926

3. #78 Manimmal 4.943

4. #14 Newso 4.953

5. #17 Grandkids 5.054

6. #1 Stubbo 5.074

7. #13 Mrollingthunder 5.080

8. #3 Slo1 5.173

9. #22 Pauls Slots 5.190

10. #20 Miveson 5.192

11. #26 FPR7 5.273

12. #48 CharlesX 5.312

13. #2 Spoons 5.325

14. #9 RIR 5.395

15. #4 LennyBroke 5.413

16. #69 ferrari1950 5.534

17. #Alexis in Greece 5.82

Racing will be started today and hopefully I will have results later on this evening or possibly tomorrow.

Some of you will know that I run this proxy on my own,my nearest club mate is just about 2 hours from here and its difficult to get drivers,I have taken the view that its much easier to run it myself,I enjoy that and I believe the cars get a fair run as no one knows my track better than me so the cars get a good fair run on all 3 lanes.

Terry

Thanks Terry for great job to date.

Have you any comments on cars. Mine seems to be gradually slipping down the field. Prelim and qual times very consistent though.

Must check against last years times.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks for the update Terry. That's close. Looks like a whole bunch seperated by not a lot again.

just finished 2 of 3 lanes,very close,top 5 separated by 1.5 laps(about 8 seconds) the top 3 within a lap of each other,great day,tired,but the reward is the chance to get to drive some very nice cars

Have I ever built a car that doesn't like your track Terry? I know qualy means squat but still, it's a good feeling to be p3 :)

I know,crazy isn't it?Then again you can build a rocket ship when you want to,your little #78 is a big surprise,now if you can do something about the drop arm

Thanks Terry for great job to date.

Have you any comments on cars. Mine seems to be gradually slipping down the field. Prelim and qual times very consistent though.

Must check against last years times.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Chas,its the tyres,they slide too much and don't instal confidence when you are trying for a fast lap

Cheers for the update Terry....... Qualified 10th - best result yet.

Hey mark! This car of yours is not too far from being a goodun!Starting to be consistent with some fast laps

Big effort Terry,

At least it will be evens then.

Good luck,

Paul

Paul,your car threw a pinion in the first lane heat,only got in 2/3 rds of what you should have,I replaced the pinion during a drink break,the second lane heat was much better.

Just to bring you all up to date with proceedings,my track has had a VERY thorough clean and tidy up over the last week,as a result I was concerned about the lack of traction,that has not been a concern,however,some cars have a "sheen" to the tyre surface and are showing signs of getting a bit sideways at times,so,the stewards have decided to add to the sup regs that a tyre clean and very light scuff on the track tyre pad will be applied tomorrow before the start of the final lane heats.

All cars will undergo this procedure,it will be a very light scuff to remove the shine from the tyre surface.

Looking forward to tomorrow,racing will be done by late afternoon.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the feedback - still spewing I didn't put smaller fronts on the 804 as it would have lowered the car significantly - still I wanted to keep the car as close to the original as I could. What do you think of the scratch build chassis?

If I didn't have my knee operation on Thursday I would have definitely come up to give you a hand on Saturday. I've been missing the slot racing scene for most of this year - hope to be back in a couple of months when the soccer season is over.

Mark

Thanks very much Terry for the up-date on my car. Hopefully the tyre clean will put it back to its more usual position.

Other thing is I probably should have installed new tyres. You live and learn.

Going on earlier races however I did not really think tyres were problem. Other cars have just got better. We will have to wait and see. Seemed fine at home.

Best of luck to everybody

Regard

ChasLe Breton

Terry,

Thanks for the update and repair on the pinion. Were you able to reuse the same pinon are did it need to be replaced.

Hope that's the end of the break downs for me. Looked like I may have been going ok, until that point.

Need to see what I could have done to rectify this from happening again.

Thanks again,

Paul

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

ROUND4_zpsd87d6266.png

Round has been run,sorry for the delay in getting this up,seems that for me this is more difficult than running the round.

As you may see this has been a very close run race,some lovely cars to run,the work on most cars is of a much higher standard than in previous years.

Thank you to all who have entrusted your cars to me for the last few days,

happy to answer any queries,I will post my observations a little later,

Terry

I'm almost a little embarrassed in my car performing so well,but I drove every car as hard as I dared,keeping in mind that a deslot almost costs a half lap,I think,to be fair,that my car was just about the best car on all 3 lanes,it does drive so nice,down on power compared to some of the others,but more drivable on the day.

I think have it right now. Flicking from one screen to another I mixed things up a bit. Terry was right, Old23 will have 39 points from this round. He gets 2 points as fastest qualifyer and 3 points for fastest lap. I have updated the points table (but again I reserve the right to check it when I get the spreadsheet and get around to getting my glasses fixed).

Looks like another change of lead. Old23 has made up some points and Manimmal is as consistent as ever.

TasmanStandingsafterrace4-1.jpg

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Well done Terry and thanks for all the effort hosting the round. Congrats to the the GK's and Stubbo too.

Great effort by stews car to get the pole and fastest lap. 5th = 34 points yeh?

Good to see more guys in the mix with some good times too.

Looking forward to your comments on the cars Terry.

The morning after the day before.....now I have had a chance to gather some observations and maybe add some comments to the cars.

Firstly,my car,I built my Brabham a good 12 months ago alongside a BRM, this gave me 2 cars to choose from in the upcoming VRAA I sent the BRM away,with some success,but it allowed me to play around with the Brabham to see what it goes like etc..that taught me a good lesson that I need to build my cars early,too often its a last minute rush,thats why that car is doing so well,its sorted.

Overall the field was a big improvement in previous years,more top runners fighting for the podium,some surprises,some disappointments.

cars#1 and #3 Both beautiful and quick,the detail and finish on these 2 beauties is a credit to Stubbo and Slo1,I thought the tyres were a little on the hard side and the grip wasn't quite there,good speed from the solarbotic motors although braking for the tight hairpins hurt the cars.

car #2 I thought that the drop arm created instability,coming off the top sweeper the front end was wandering and as a result I could not attack,apart from that I enjoyed driving this car.

car #4,I loved this car!Down on power from the BWA(??) motor and the tyres seemed "hard",sanding in the break did not help,but it has that certain look about it!

car #7 Certainly if the tyres did not go off in the middle of the 2nd heat this car would have won,as with OLD23's cars another very nice build and SMOOTH and quiet,for some reason the tyres on the car suffered more than others,once the tyres were cleaned up it went so well,I was able to push times out of the car which no other car was near.

car #9 Down on speed,and I thought the guide looked a little too much for the car,certainly the braids were messy.

car #13 Another surprise, just a nice drive,had fair speed,handled pretty good and created no problems throughout,could be pushed hard.

car#17 Very nice car to drive,had a great time driving this car,fast, good handling and predictable,another nice piece of work from Shelmore.

car #20 To see this as Marks second Tasman car and his 1st scratch build is good progress,the car was fast and,if you concentrated,capable of good times,it did catch you out a few times,so you had to concentrate on the job at hand,bodes well for the future Mark,just think how good it would have gone if you had track time to practice on!

car #22 lost pinion early on and unfortunately that cost about 13 laps,otherwise a neat car to drive ,stable and handled pretty okay

car #26 When I saw the Fergie I thought,oh no another top heavy ill handling pig! How wrong was I,very smooth and a real pleasure to drive,predictable and,did I say smooth?

car #48 Throughout the race this car showed no signs of improving,initially I thought the tyres were the problem but after the sanding it did not improve,I thought the guide looked clumsy and big braids,but I don't know if that is the problem,fair speed but when you get to the corners,hang on here we go sort of thing,at the sweeping corners and 180 degree hairpins,the car performed the same.

car #69 the biggest disappointment in the field,last years car was but a memory,I found early in proceedings that one of the rear wheels was slipping on the axle,this was in practice,when I went to tighten the wheel I found the allen screw had burred so I could not tighten the wheel,luckily the wheel being loosish I just pulled it off the axle,I had a spare here,fitted the tyre to the wheel,me thinking this was the answer to the slowness of the car,but no,its a dog! great pity,whats happened??

car #78 Another Manimmal rocket,but that guide!! I reckon that cost you a placing or 2 here,the car had a tendency to wander all over the place,and down the straight under acceleration it hops!!Not the most desirable thing to do when fighting for places,love the bodywork,where did you get that body?Hope you keep doing this Tasman thing.

car #38 Slow and bad handling,I tried,really I did, but this car was not going to play,pity as its come a long way and Alexis is a strong supporter of this series.

My overall observations were that the most obvious difference between the good cars and the rest was the general set up on the cars,the good cars all had good neat guide set ups,flat braids or ones that could easily be straightened and cleaned and guides that weren't huge,I don't know which tyres were on what car but I use the XPG compound from Paul and that does work here.having said that they may not work at other tracks,such is proxy racing.

Chassis design was interesting,lots of different designs,obviously in this category,and some real pieces of work especially the 1 and 3 cars,but I found Phils chassis on the #47 car most interesting,is this the new way forward Phil,your car was super,it was so easy to drive,thats always the sign of a fast car,if its easy to drive,and quiet,its got to be fast.

Anyway,thats about it for me,its been a pleasure to drive these cars and see the amount of work all have put in,look forward to next year!

Terry

Thanks for running this event Terry,big effort. I knew your car would be hard to beat on it home track, well done. I thought Stubbo may have been faster, his car is very quick.

I am not looking forward to the kids coming over today, looks like I get more crap thrown at me today! LOL.

But it is keeping them very interested.

Looks like lane 3 was the down fall for both Old 23 and myself?

You are right about building early, I have one VRAA completed and Ready to test once motors arrive.

Also looking at hat to build fir next years Tasman. Looks like at least one or two more Tassie cars next year.

Great feedback. It takes a lot of time to do this and hosting it solo too! Appreciate all the effort you've put in to this round Terry and getting it done so prompt!

Its good to see so many showing some pace this year. I think it makes for a more interesting proxy to follow and more interesting for the entrants even if one might be further off the pace back through the field, its still interesting to see some shuffling going on through the order. When I drove the cars I felt that none of them were not nice to drive, some were just faster than others. Its interesting to see how the different tracks are bringing out the positive and negative traits that cars have.

The chassis on the #1 and 3 cars has, IMO, lots flex. In building these chassis I did not intend for this to be a flexi chassis so much but more of a bit of a rattle pod rear end. I looked to try to stiffen up the flex with the addition of a center pivot in the base plates but wasnt confident in drilling it or cutting and adding brass tube, so that piano wire could be inserted, without stuffing it up given the chassis was all put together. I'd be interested to know if the outer edges of the tyres are showing signs of scrubbing out or feathering up or not given they corner, like a dog cocking its leg. or any thoughts you might have regarding this?

Hi all.

Well I was feeling a bit disappointed in round after earlier rounds but after comparing with last two years feel a bit better.

Fastest qualifying and race times of leaders no better than 2012 or 2013. Times less than 5.099 roughly similar spread over competitors. 2012 4.8'sx4; 4.9'sx3 and 5.0'sx5. Munter (NZ) did 5.256. 2013 4.8'sx2; 4.9'sx3 and 5.0'sx6. I was spectator only in 2012.

Last year I did 5.160 but 5.266 in race and came 19th. This year 5.173 in race and came 13th. Both years it was my worst performance of proxy (to date). Note Terry's comments but sounds like my car does not like his track.

Talking of track can we have picture please. Have not been able to find.

Regards

Chas Le Breton