Ozrally Proxy Series 2010/11 - Round Three,

lenny broke

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently miveson your car looks like James Courtney's car. Lenny will be working on it all night to get it ready for tomorrows stage after his big off. :)

Does sombody want to tell Rick that the stage is on tonight <_<

It's probably safer for everyone if he doesn't know. Don't you think?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Make sure you wear the ice vest Lenny. Must be 40C in that tin shed. Good luck with it.

Just got carried away after watching the V8SC.

It was more than that today I reckon <_<

BTW if any one was concerned about the cars being out in the shed with the weather we've had here these last few days, don't worry, they were brought into the house each night at the end of activities.

Alan

Hi All

Stage 2 is just about to begin, see y6ou out the other end.

this stage will be revrse direction to Stage 1. I did about 200 laps earlier with my car from last years series so the track surface should good to go, best laps were in the low 8.2's.

Cheers Alan

Well its all done and dusted and I'm sitting here having sip on one of the Cooper family's best before I head of to noddy land.

all I will say is it's close for the top step, result later this morning.

Thanks for letting me play with your toys Kiddies

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Here's the results for Stage 2

ORPSrnd3stage2results.jpg

errata

best lap for Lenny Broke- 8.144

Well the long journey is over and we have a result. Well done to Stig and the Lads on there podium positions.

With the track running in the opposite direction, there was a different feel to the stage. I don't know what could be the cause but the most of the cars felt a lot more stable to drive. With the the corners being predominately right handed there was less tipping by a number of cars. I suspect that the torque reaction of the motors may have something to do with it <_<

I'll ad some further comment after I've posted the final results and had bit of think about it all

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

And Here's the Final standings for Round 3 of the OzRally Proxy Series Round 3.

Congratulations to Tom and Cam for a great win here with a steady run ina nicely set up little car, by no means the fastest one but very consistent to drive and just stayed in the slot. Well done Lads Thats's one up ya Grandad <_<

Also well done to The Stig, for Third, that old Zed is a top car considering it's an original 70's scalex.

ORPS2010-11rnd3finalscoresheet.jpg

I'll post some more thought here a bit later.

Cheers Alan

seems like my car is getting slower and slower

will have to look at it when my round comes

Hi Jason

It's not getting slower at all.

It's a great little package mechanically, very smooth and good power . what I found was that you could get a run going and build up a bit of speed but it would get unsettled at some point and deslot. either when it clipped the scenery or on the run down the hill it would slide out on the last wiggle and fall off the edge. Unfortunately I de-slotted a couple of times in spots that took some time to recover the car and get going again . As I was on my own I was having to drive and marshal. That's what cost most of the time for a number of cars yours included. All I could do was try my best.

Edited by lenny broke

Guest jazzbell

It might be a nice looking Porsche,but it must be one crap car i built . Going by the lap times the car has'nt gone past number 25 position the last 2 rounds.

Well done Tom and Cam for your win <_<

regards shane a

team thunderbird

HI Shane

To be honest the only thing letting your car down is the Motor. The NC-8 isn't the best motor around. It just isn't fast enough, yours was particularly slow on this stage. the run onto the straight was out of the hairpin so it didn't get the run up it got from exiting the faster corner going the other way. also it was slower climbing the rise to the back straight / wiggle. I lost it a couple of times coming down there trying to keep some speed up and it slide off the edge. I have to reach across to the back of the table to get to cars that go off there.

Back to the motor though I reckon a geared down scelex or BWANC1 would have been a better choice.

Cheers Alan

To All

I'm going to do a final report shortly, but I want to have a bit of a spell from this for an hour or so as I'm a bit "proxied" out at the moment.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Well done Tom & Cam, Lenny and The Stig for you podium finishes.

Thanks for hosting Alan in what wouldn't have been the most comfortable of conditions. It certainly takes some time to get through all the cars.

Normal people worry me

Hi All

I've had my nap in front of the Taxi's now.

My comments are made with how the cars went on my track in mind, so they may not be valid for a car at following rounds

As I said before I felt more comfortable with most of the cars running in the opposite direction to stage1 they felt more stable and less inclined to come off, some went faster and other went slower depending on which car.

There were a few things that became obvious how the cars were set up . With the move to narrower cars this year the need to get the centre of gravity down as low as possible played a key part in making the car handle. those that paid attention to that had a good advantage over the others. There were some good cars that went really well up to a point but if you wet beyond that they would fall over unexpectedly. something to look at for future years is getting weight out of the upper body area of those cars and getting the body to sit lower on the chassis on the taller cars. The renault alpines suffered with a narrow track a

Another obvious problem was the guide flag setups on the various cars. the most stable were the ones fitted with the ninco sprung. The scx cars were more vulnerable to deslots, some of them also had problems with electrical contact on the tighter corners that changed elevation.

Here's a quick comment on each car

Mexico 2000. It was tippy and prone to falling over if pushed beyond cruise mode. I tippytoed it around in ST2 with less offs hence the time improvement.

Slittlehales. Another tippy one. the LHR wheel fell off in the warm up laps. I glued it back on and it seemed to pick up the pace a bit, I didn't have to push it as hard to get it to go.

Ember I really wanted to do better with this car, It ran smooth but it would spear out of the slot in the faster corners. I also felt it had a bit too much motor for my track

Phoneo A lack of preparation hampered this car totally, The motor is dead slow which meant that it wouldn't pull the car around the corners and it would trip over itself. because it wouldn't slide around the corners it regularly got hung up on the scenery on the inside of tight bends

Smallnails Very disappointing this car I thought brad could do better . the floppy front axle made it tip which meant that it had to be driven slower which meant that the motor couldn't keep the revs up which it needed to perform.

TazRacer Wasn't able to get anything from this car because of the rear tyres. they sounded like Delrin wheels were fitted. the car scrabbled around spinning wheels everywhere.

ESPSIX another floppy front axle which allowed the wheels to rub on the bodywork.

MunterThis was funny one on stage 1 it would tip over easily but in reverse direction a totally different car though the lap times were slower it was a better car to drive and less deslots. hence the 20 odd sec. improvement in stage times.

Ben Manother car that felt more settled going the other way,thus less deslots.

Yngwieanother nice MKII smooth running but lacking a bit of traction and some overall speed. would tip in the tight hairpin at the top of the hill and deslot.

Manic 35I'm totally mystified what went on here I don't remember anything peculiar in the prologue for this car but when it came to the stages the car had little grip,combined with the rear motor layout made it a taily beast that would deslot regularly.

OTFSHad to driven carefully to get a good performance. I found I could get a run of laps going and if anything varied however slightly it would tip on its side.

Gazza As above, seemed to have a bit more motor than Flipper's

BRK12345 Nice little car that Alpine, had to driven on the lower end of the throttle with the HC setting backed right of and full brakes, over motored for my track. Look out on the Salt pan <_<

Mohawkk a nice little car but hampered by the guide set up I reckon.

Miveson as above

Oldslot another strange one, as soon as it got anywhere near a corner it would flick up on to two wheels and stop.9 times out of ten it would drop back in the slot and continue on to the next corner and repeat the process. it was worse going in revers direction unfortunately, sorry Viv

Mannimal another one that liked it the other way round.

Haystack this car was a problem to start with but after a bit of work it got better, it still chatters around on its back tyres though. the main problem was the miss read lap counts, the only car to do so. We had to do manual timing and lap counts to get a result for this car , thanks Heather for helping here.

Slo1quick A nice car that I thought would finish higher. it handled well but the motor was a bit quick for me in parts of the track.

Jazzbelnicely presented car that suffers from a slow motor. it was hard to get the car up to any sort of speed so meant pushing it harder under breaks and corners. which meant a few more deslots than I would have liked.

AnthonyAnother dud motored car but it just hung on in the corners. I had the throttle hitting the micro-switch constantly in that run but it just kept going around. and it wasn't tippy like the other Healeys

Obsidth nice little car, reasonably quick but it has a fine line between going quick and deslotting.

The stig aonther Kablfell junk box refugee that goes great!!

Devious Dave I reckon this was my favourite car of the round. It had good speed, handled well, changing direction without any fuss and put the power down to the track well.

356SpeedsterI had trouble getting this one up to speed It took a couple of laps to get really going. the motor felt sluggish at the lower end of the throttle. It also slid out a bit in some corners. I think it need a more open track than mine to get it's best.

Phil K This thing has some serious speed and handles surprisingly well for a scalex Torana- lot of weight down low. It spent a lot of time clipping the rear quartes on the scenery but styed in the slot. it tops speed is what caused me some problems and deslots at the end of the straighter bits

Triggy Very Fast and very smooth but its narrow track and weight combined to make it flick out a few too many times.

Lenny Brokewho cares

Tom and Cam what a neat little package this car was! Easy to drive with moderate power, it just circulated without deslot which meant you could get a nice rhythm up and keep going with out interruption. a deserving round winner.

Eno Dog this one is obviously standard kit built up with minimal prep. Strangely I think with some work and an effort to get it compliant iti might have done quite well. :huh2:

My Wife came out at various times through the night with the camera. It's funny bit I reckon that cameras give people tunnel vision. the number of times she stepped in front of me for a pic, just as I was about to start a run was amazing. Got in the way just like to real photo hacks at 1:1 events :D

Thanks for coming out just the same H. love you brazillions

I'm going to have a look through what she did after I've finished here and will post the best ones later tonight.

Ok that's enough waffle from me

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Thanks Alan for putting in the time and considerable effort. And for the comprehensive rundown on the cars.

Congratulations Tom & Cam for the Round win. Also to Alan and Stig for the minors.

Phil, can I have a rumage in your junk collection some time?

Sorry the blue buzzbox is such a bitch to drive. Ah well.

Hope you enjoyed a few shandies whilst recovering from the time in the sweat box Alan.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks Alan for putting in the time and considerable effort. And for the comprehensive rundown on the cars.

Congratulations Tom & Cam for the Round win. Also to Alan and Stig for the minors.

Phil, can I have a rumage in your junk collection some time?

Sorry the blue buzzbox is such a bitch to drive. Ah well.

Hope you enjoyed a few shandies whilst recovering from the time in the sweat box Alan.

I did have a couple of beers today thanks Emb. I nearly choked on one just after I woke up and saw the dancing queen standing on the roof of his car doing his 6 gun routine <_<

It wasn't too bad in the shed last night. we only live 400mtrs from the beach here and when you open up everything and the breeze blows in it quite pleasant.

Its the eyes that get weary after 4-5 hours following those things around :huh2:

Cheers - was indeed simple - I figure when you have no idea what you're doing THAT isn't the time to be making wholesale changes! ;)

Stuff was bumped from an Alpine at the last minute when I broke a wheel (Oddly if you hit a car with a hammer..)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Haystack this car was a problem to start with but after a bit of work it got better, it still chatters around on its back tyres though. the main problem was the miss read lap counts, the only car to do so. We had to do manual timing and lap counts to get a result for this car , thanks Heather for helping here.

Thanks again for the repairs Alan, congrats to the juniors for a very good showing!

A thought about the lap counting, or lack thereof... most of the underside of that little A110 is dominated by the big shiny boxer can, which may not be ideal for the sensors. Perhaps the judicious application of a BLACK PERMANENT MARKER or similar might give enough body to break the beam?!?

Cheers and Well Done

Chris

H.M.C.C

Hi All

Tore no -20 here mate, it got to the Mid thirties here yesterday so would have been nearer 40 in the shed. that's why I did the runs in the evening. So hows the global warming going in your part of the world???? :D

BRK - yes it might have been a Frord but it took a Holden guy to get the result though ;) up ya pipe

Eno - one day you'll do more than a half arsed effort and really surprise your self. ;) and every one else. Would be nice to see

Haystack- I use dead strips on my track and SRM timing Program. Rick seems to think the sensor wires pick up some sort of signal from the motor and triggers a misread. I'm sure if he's lurking he will come in with a boffin's explanation for it all.

I'm off to bed so will post some piccys another night this week.

Alan

Good onya Lenny! Just got back home (which fortunately hasn't washed away, yet) from the V8's to find yet another round complete. Thanks for running a great round, sounds like it was a full on weekend for yourself. I had concerns with the my car and its want to tip and it looks like its finally happened, I tried getting weight down low but its still a farily narrow and tall car and im just not that good.

Well done to those up the pointy end.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING