Syd's New Track

Syd

Hey Syd that look's like a fast track, You are still to route the recess, will that damage the ferrodor?

DM, speaking of vacuum's i blewup the wife's good vac yesterday...geez am i in the s!%t. :)

Its more likely the ferrodore will damage the recess bit, its damn abrasive will take the edge off a cutter quickly.

Regards

Rob

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Syd that look's like a fast track, You are still to route the recess, will that damage the ferrodor?

DM, speaking of vacuum's i blewup the wife's good vac yesterday...geez am i in the s!%t. :D

:) did you factor a new vacuum cleaner into the budget for building the track - what heading would that come under (I would put it in the bl#$@@ annoying column)

cheers

DM

Its more likely the ferrodore will damage the recess bit, its damn abrasive will take the edge off a cutter quickly.

I've seen what it can do to a belt sander... I'd hate see a router bit!

Best of luck with it Syd!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

I've seen what it can do to a belt sander... I'd hate see a router bit!

Best of luck with it Syd!

No problems with router bits but it will kill them eventually, but I have a very good friend who will turn one up for me at the drop of a hat ( Thanks Alan) It looks a lot neater to route last as it gives a better edge to work against

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

looking good Syd

are you using magna braid or copper?

I have the same dusty green vacuum cleaner :)

cheers

DM

I am using tinned copper braid it is alot smoother than the plain copper I used last time and doesn't tarnish. Did you happen to notice the burgandy vacuum cleaner as well. The green one was the wifes ( I replaced that with a Dyson ,which incedently get used on race nights when she isn't home!!!!!!!!!!!Try one they fantastic) and the burgandy came from my mum when I shamed the old man into buying her a Dyson so I could have the old one.Good eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking good Syd

cheers

DM

I am using tinned copper braid it is alot smoother than the plain copper I used last time and doesn't tarnish. Did you happen to notice the burgandy vacuum cleaner as well. The green one was the wifes ( I replaced that with a Dyson ,which incedently get used on race nights when she isn't home!!!!!!!!!!!Try one they fantastic) and the burgandy came from my mum when I shamed the old man into buying her a Dyson so I could have the old one.Good eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is so funny - we were talking about getting a Dyson when we were at the shops the other day - and I was thinking that the Green Vax would become by backroom vacuum -

ok enough of this house hold appliance talk - people will think we are on the Hoover Forum not a slot car forum :)

what lane spacing have you used? and what are your inside and outside spaces?

cheers

DM

looking good Syd

cheers

DM

that is so funny - we were talking about getting a Dyson when we were at the shops the other day - and I was thinking that the Green Vax would become by backroom vacuum -

ok enough of this house hold appliance talk - people will think we are on the Hoover Forum not a slot car forum :)

cheers

DM

105mm spacing and the inners vary from 80 to 105 and the outers 105 to 125mm it varies on each corner due to the eliptical routeing that I explained earlier.

looking good Syd

cheers

DM

cheers

DM

I hope these photos explain the lane spacing and give you an idea of how big the track is.Notice the routing for the braid is done and should be laying the braid tomorrow.

P1130018.jpg

P1130017.jpg

P1130015.jpg

P1130012.jpg

P1130013.jpg

P1130014.jpg

P1130016.jpg

Edited by Syd

That's a TOP looking track... Most impressed!!!

I'm intrigued about the 'legs' (stands) what's the idea behind then? do they tilt, or is it

for height adjustment?... And do you have the plans/measurements for them?

Ive seen them on a few tracks from trawling the net. They look a fantastic idea but would be very wood intensive I would imagine.

I'm intrigued about the 'legs' (stands) what's the idea behind then? do they tilt, or is it

If there the same legs that were used on The Snake (Alans last track) they should tilt and be height adjustable they work a treat and can be pulled apart easily so it's a very user friendly setup

If there the same legs that were used on The Snake (Alans last track) they should tilt and be height adjustable they work a treat and can be pulled apart easily so it's a very user friendly setup

That's right John and from memory I got 21 triangles from each 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheet of 15mm MDF (cover sheets are cheaper) and they are spaced approx. 600mm apart. I used 43 legs on this track or 86 triangles. I will try to remember to take a photo of one and list it's dimensions for you.

How did you go with the routing through the ferrodor Syd?
As you can see no chipping and a nice clean edge. No damage to the router bit and gives a nice surface to glue the braid down to. I am using contact cement (Not waterbased , same stuff cabinet makers use for sticking laminate down, it's a bit thinner than the usual stuff you get off the shelf at the hardware store.) to glue it down .I will be starting today and hopefully will be finished by Friday,Yippee!!!!!!!

Great job on the track Syd. Does your track come apart in pieces fairly easily?
Yes breaks down into 7 pieces , not including the legs, not that I will be moving it around too much! I built it that way so if I had to I could without ruining all my hard work!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen them on a few tracks from trawling the net. They look a fantastic idea but would be very wood intensive I would imagine.

P1140002.jpg

P1140003.jpg

P1140001.jpg

P1140004.jpg

Thanks for the close ups of the legs and joins Syd

Do you have the width and height of each triangle piece?

Thanks

Johno

The height is 400mm width at top 85mm and across the base 525 mm. Yippee the track is finally finished and drives very nicely.

P1170004.jpg

P1170003.jpg

P1170002.jpg

P1170001.jpg

Great work Syd, a very professional looking job! :alcohol: :alcohol: :clap:

Sit down and have half a dozen, I say!!! ;) :alcohol:

Why have you engineered it so precisely if you don't plan to move it? :alcohol:

Now, onto lap times!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Great work Syd, a very professional looking job! :alcohol: :alcohol: :clap:

Sit down and have half a dozen, I say!!! ;) :alcohol:

Why have you engineered it so precisely if you don't plan to move it? :alcohol:

Now, onto lap times!

I just if you are going to do a job you may as well make it worthwhile. You just never know what's round the corner.If I grow sick of it and want to build another for whatever reason ( I sold my last one to finance this one . That was built along the same lines and is happily residing in another enthusiasts shed ) it can be pulled down and transported to wherever. Yes I did have a few lagers last night but the grand opening of the track will be next Friday night.

• 3 months later...

Good looking track Syd!

I imagine you have had many nights racing now. How is the track / racing going?

Its good to see another track put in the WA section of members home tracks. I was starting to get lonely!!! I think it was a good idea to move separate the tracks into different states - it makes it easier to keep up to date with the local works. There are actually a few more from WA that have previously been posted but I am sure the moderators will get around to it.

Can we see some pics of the track in action on a race night!!!...please

Regards,

Dave