Oz Rally Proxy 2009/10

lenny broke

Howdy

I suppose some one had to bring it up.

Are we ready to start talking about 09 /10 series?

For mine I would like to see the previous years rule retained as per Martins website. whether we stay with WRC or go for something else........ Classic???

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke
dodgey A key on laptop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in. Haven't given a lot of thought yet as to what.

Maybe 1 or 2 classes. Also options of being broader than the WRC cars.

I would be happy with Classics as one of the classes but not only due to a few of us having cars entered in the SCX Classic Rally. Link

A lot still learning on how to prepare a car etc so lets not make it too difficult. Simple rules but stick to them.

Will have to give it some more thought - any one and enough time and willing to put their hand up to get this on its way?

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Lets go something completey different like the classics....................if anything just to stop people just re-entering the same car 3 years in a row with nothing different.

I know the SCX cars would be the main choice but they can be made to go well with ninco parts.

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

Yeah I'd love to be in the next one, I'll even have a track for a WA round by then....

I'd like to see a classics class and maybe a class for new model cars to stop ppl entering the same cars again.....

I'm sort of thinking the same way. Be great to have a WA leg (or two).

Nice repaint on your SCX car entered in the SCX Classics.

Flipper

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

I am interested to see how this pans out. I like the idea of wrc cars but i know 3 years in a row might be boring for some entrants. Especially those that had good cars already seems it would be difficult to make them go even better. Classic might be worth a go there are some lovely old cars to do. Raid for me has as much appeal as open wheelers in regular cars (read zero) but there might be hordes of people who love them so majority decision perhaps.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Any more interested?

5 and a half minutes of mixed class action

Classics or anything different, but like most, raid doesn't do it for me. We probably need to pick an era (70's, 80's, 90's or 00's) and just run with it.

My rally track will be offloaded soon so to be a host on wood can't happen. I would like to try a return to plastic on a layout with the rally loops - allows building a freestyle type layout for each heat.

Who is volunteering to be an organiser? I can help but not enough time to be lead organiser.

Classics would be nice, I would definitely enter a car. bike.gif

We'd love to haveone of your Fords out here John :lol::huh::lol::lol:

Who is volunteering to be an organiser? I can help but not enough time to be lead organiser.

I'm a bit like you Tazracer and want to see this next one go ahead. In the past Organisres have had a thanless job with some entrants not appreciating the work and time involved. You would think they were racing for sheep stations.

With the current SCX Rally there appears to be little issues, showing we can be almost one happy family.

Could the role be split in two - say Organiser and Scrutineer ??

With currently 11 expressions of interest this will go ahead!

Summary

Lenny Broke - Classics

Ronan - Classics or last years

Smallnails – Classics

Silver Rocket - Classics or New Cars (not repeating last years)

On theflipside – as above

Blue95 – Raid???

First Corner Crash - WRC or Classics

Devious – Classics

Old Slot – Classics

Tazracer – Classics or anything different to last year

John Schoen – Classics

Thanks for the good words on the SCX Proxy Mel.

Two packages from AUS never arrived for the SCX proxy at all. There is always a risk with shipping, but when this does happen it's really no fun because as the organizer you feel responsible for the cars, even though there is not much you can do about it.

Besides the missing cars the SCX proxy has gone through two events now without any hiccups, knock on wood, but as mentioned there is lot more work than most imagine involved in the organizing of these events. So balancing the workload between 2-3 persons is recommended. If one is the main organizer ("boss") and he get help from a tech inspector and a score keeper you should have a solid team to keep the series running.

If I may express my interest to participate in the series I'll add my vote for the classic's, or more precisely 80's and 90's cars.

Bring on the Quattro's and Delta's

:lol:

gallery_434_503_9937.jpg

I am interested in entering again and I am sure Phil will. But I was a little dissapointed last year that that penalties were applied to ILLEGAL cars IMO they should have been made legal,this probably looked worse that it was BUT the first 3 cars all did not comply with the rules. A similar thing has happened in the DUPR with cars being given penalties for changes to spec, when the rules say they cannot be changed.

I would like to see some rules that ARE RULES and not just guide lines and the cars comply with the rules.

So much for the rant!

I don't care if we run WRC again as I have one ready and last year was my first attempt,I also have a new Fly renault to set up that I won in this years event. But before anything is decided some thought should be given to what cars will be allowed. Classics has some very different choices available,revell,Fly,SCX and Ninco and the chassis layout include sidewinders. Would all these be eligible,would they all be allowed as there is some big differences in widths etc.

I also hope to have a rally track ready to host a round down here! I have a sheet of MDF up at Phils ready to route and a drawing only need time and his help to build it and for him to finf some where in HIS shed to set it up.

It is at least my idea and my MDF, he only has to supply everything else!

The Stig

I'd be interested in putting in an entry again, maybe if my cars that disappeared on the way to Norway for the SCX Proxy ever show up I can use one of them!!. Happy for any class or era, except Raid cars, just want to try and produce a better car than last year's overpowered and underperforming Peugeot.

re ; last years first three cars being illegal .

This is not a slag at you stig - just a general comment on how the proxy racing has been this year in my eyes .

From what I can remember without wasting my time trolling through all the post the "illegal" cars were 0.5mm too wide at the front , my car being one of those three at the top in the end . I measured the car when it arrived home with an "electronic" micrometer and to me it was 0.46 wider across the front wheels than across the front wheel arches . Does anyone really think that 0.46 over width gave the car a huge handling advantage ? The real advantage my car had was the Ninco brand name on the chassis . Now that its all over I must confess the two driver figures were lightened up to reduce the weight above the axles - A 1/8th drill bit up the drivers backsides eliminated at least 8 grams of unnecassary weight , However the car did develop a distinct whistle afterwards.

Seriously though are we really worried about 1/2 a millimeter ? I copped a penalty and to be honest it left me thinking , those people with electronic micrometers spoil the proxy fun . Maybe those pedantic types should consider seeing a doctor to get some laxitive tablets . Build rules are fine but how far do we really need to go ? A few basic build rules should be enough to cover it.

* Ground clearance - so the track isn't at any risk of damage

* Tyre rules - some tyres (silicones) will mess up some tracks grip levels and some track owners don't want them used , so we do need a tyre ruling.

* Other rules such as a car class rule as mentioned earlier 60's 70's 80's 00's so the field represents a certian type of car .

Im sure there are some more rules needed but Im not making or suggesting any rules here just making a point that too many rules can spoil the fun

re ; penalties - sending a car home or points against someone before it even starts .

Its a bit anal to say sorry put that one back in the box and send it home because its 1/2 or even 1mm over track . Most SCX and Ninco cars I have seen have there wheels hanging out 1mm or even 2mm when they are brand new . Why not let it go and allow the wheels to hang out a little - Only a little , say a 2 mm maximum , would it really hurt ? It could save some grief and maybe all the negative posts would be gone from Auslot so we can all sit back and enjoy the proxy for what it should be , a bit of fun on the side thats set apart from our local racing .

re 2010 rally car of choice I would prefer something different but if its the same again I will re enter the green machine with its front tyres trimmed 0.46mm narrower . Suppose I will also have to plug the driver and navigators butts with something - now that the weight reduction secrets out of the bag :lol:

Steve:

I will agree with Stigs comments, you say your car is only 0.5mm too wide then it would have not taken much to fix it. I would not expect any car to be sent home BUT the problem could and should have been rectified before the first race and there would have been no problem for anyone. I know that there is not advantage in these small rule breaches but what is the point of ANY rules if they are not complied with,we may as well run thingies again.

Felxy's and womp have wheels outside the body!

I know Stig went to some trouble to get the wheels inside the body on his car to comply with the rules.

BMR: This was really my first proxy race so I may have been wrong but I assumed that the cars had to conform to the rules,there were no plus or Minus tolerances given. I had to machine the back off the wheels of my car to get the wheels inside the body, I know now I could have just left it and got a penalty. I am not able to race club racing so proxy racing and a few days at Phils is all I can do to satify my slots interests. I agree that we should be having fun BUT IMO part of the fun is trying to make a RTR "box of parts" fit the rules of an event.

When I racd 1/24th cars almost anything went as long as it was not over 2.5 inches wide and had 1/16 clearance,BUT these cars look like models of cars and I thought that is what we were trying to race.

The Stig

re ; last years first three cars being illegal .

This is not a slag at you stig - just a general comment on how the proxy racing has been this year in my eyes .

From what I can remember without wasting my time trolling through all the post the "illegal" cars were 0.5mm too wide at the front , my car being one of those three at the top in the end . I measured the car when it arrived home with an "electronic" micrometer and to me it was 0.46 wider across the front wheels than across the front wheel arches . Does anyone really think that 0.46 over width gave the car a huge handling advantage ? The real advantage my car had was the Ninco brand name on the chassis . Now that its all over I must confess the two driver figures were lightened up to reduce the weight above the axles - A 1/8th drill bit up the drivers backsides eliminated at least 8 grams of unnecassary weight , However the car did develop a distinct whistle afterwards.

Seriously though are we really worried about 1/2 a millimeter ? I copped a penalty and to be honest it left me thinking , those people with electronic micrometers spoil the proxy fun . Maybe those pedantic types should consider seeing a doctor to get some laxitive tablets . Build rules are fine but how far do we really need to go ? A few basic build rules should be enough to cover it.

* Ground clearance - so the track isn't at any risk of damage

* Tyre rules - some tyres (silicones) will mess up some tracks grip levels and some track owners don't want them used , so we do need a tyre ruling.

* Other rules such as a car class rule as mentioned earlier 60's 70's 80's 00's so the field represents a certian type of car .

Im sure there are some more rules needed but Im not making or suggesting any rules here just making a point that too many rules can spoil the fun

re ; penalties - sending a car home or points against someone before it even starts .

Its a bit anal to say sorry put that one back in the box and send it home because its 1/2 or even 1mm over track . Most SCX and Ninco cars I have seen have there wheels hanging out 1mm or even 2mm when they are brand new . Why not let it go and allow the wheels to hang out a little - Only a little , say a 2 mm maximum , would it really hurt ? It could save some grief and maybe all the negative posts would be gone from Auslot so we can all sit back and enjoy the proxy for what it should be , a bit of fun on the side thats set apart from our local racing .

re 2010 rally car of choice I would prefer something different but if its the same again I will re enter the green machine with its front tyres trimmed 0.46mm narrower . Suppose I will also have to plug the driver and navigators butts with something - now that the weight reduction secrets out of the bag :lol:

totally agree with you on all points old mate. but be careful about the that butt plugging bit I do believe that there should be a restriction on wheels/tyres outside the body but there should be some tolerance especially with the rally cars say 1mm. some cars fitted with front shocks entail a fair amount of work to reduce the front track but this is all in the hands of whoever is game enough to put their hand up to run the thing

Edited by oldslot

I'd be in for classics. Would be a difference instead of the usual. Not that the WRC cars aren't worthwile.And whats wrong with sending the same car ,some where a long the line I'll get it right ;) . My main view for the next proxy is not so much the legalities of cars which I found a bit perculiar but the planning of the rounds . It just seemed to me that there was no schedule and who ever put his hand up next, thats where the cars went. If you put your hand up to host then you have to be committed. There has to be a schedule for each host of the proxy.

BMR, agree 100% ,no silicones, The over hang of tyres from manufacture ,agree again. If thats the way it was produced so be it,Slots tried to convince me that even a nats pubic hair can make a difference but I fail to see it unless it looks like a F1 car. One track ,yes it may ,but we're running different tracks . Its hard enough just to set your car up to last the distance as I've found out with the Scx proxy. Overall I'm just saying it's put out there for the fun of it and to get to drive the guys cars we may only get to talk to on the forum.TMO

Cheers Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

even a nats pubic hair can make a difference but I fail to see it

That's because your blind. The wider the wheel track, the lower the centre of gravity, the better it corners.

Stu

Old racers race harder