Sign in to follow this  
kpphotos

How True Is This??

I bought the Dale Earnhardt #88 Impala and wanted to change the gearing ratio, simple enough. No.

I could by the gears but then I would also have to buy an axle also because the gears do not fit the standard axle.

Is this right or was the guy at the shop having ago? He said the gears fit a different diameter shaft.

What's the point of making the spares different to what you out of the box.

Its never as easy as just buying a set of gears and wheels and just hoping they fit.

Scaley sport spares are an odd thing, not too many people i know use them, for just that reason, they are allll odd sizing!

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

If you have a scalextric he is correct. You have brought Scalextric sport parts which use 3mm shafts. This means you need different bearings and wheels too. I kid you not. I did exactly the same thing!

It is easier to swap out the whole back end and use slot it axles, bearings and wheels and pinion on the motor. You must use 19mm spur gears and 6.5mm pinions. The car will run much, much smoother I assure you. You then have access to all the Slot.it tire choices too!

If you want to make the rear wheels match the front, convert the wheels into wheel inserts. If you look in the workshop section of this forum you will see an article how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Or, check the tooth numbers on the scalelxtric pinion.

It IS possible to press fit other brand brass pinions onto a scalextric knurled motor shaft.

From MEMORY, the Slot.it 6mm pinions are te right diameter to mesh with the standard scalextric spur - but DON'T take my word for it, check with your local pusher (retailer), it may be the 6.5

Yoy might be able to acheive the desired ratio with nothing more than a pinion change.

That said, if you're wood racing, and in a club where rules allow it, a Slot.it based rear end is a differnet world.

And I wrote the article on turning wheels into inserts, - because him above in this thread - "kennedy-rd" - taught me how LOL.

it was time SOMEONE showed some methods on here

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Yup. yup yup. I feel the pain. Fell into the same trap. See here. Sucks that they haven't labelled anything as 3mm axle. And we're not the only ones caught by it. Reckon it might be worth having a bitch to Scaley. Might not do much good, we're just small fish in a big global pond, but it might make us feel better.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Just file off a couple of teeth on the crown gear to change the ratio. Std is 36, try filing off 2 teeth for a 11/34 ratio instead of 11/36.

Hat coat Im outa here.

cheers

rick1776

I think they discontinued the Scalextric Sports parts. The only useful thing was the deep guide and you got one guide flag and 4 useless plates for about $12.00 from memory. You get spare plates with any new car so why not sell 4 guide flags instead. They tried to be greedy and it didn't work. It would have been smarter to go with everyone else and use 3/32.

Yup. yup yup. I feel the pain. Fell into the same trap. See here. Sucks that they haven't labelled anything as 3mm axle. And we're not the only ones caught by it. Reckon it might be worth having a bitch to Scaley. Might not do much good, we're just small fish in a big global pond, but it might make us feel better.

Embs

Morning all.I wouldn't waste your time emailing southern models for anything.2WEEKS AGO I SENT AN EMAIL ASKING ABOUT SPARES FOR A SCALEY AND NOT EVEN HAD A REPLY,SO THEY CAN SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE....... :rolleyes: