Podded Round 6

aastes

Just letting you guys know

I shall be sending the cars over for round 6 If not Friday then definately Monday - I cant do it any sooner cos having just started recovering from the latest hospitalisation I have successfully fractured my right shoulder ( try typing one handed - left at that when you are very much a right handed person). I cant do anything about packing the cars up till its rested

According to the trouble and strife I'm just old and bung and should have stayed in bed - trouble is the way things are going the water bed would most likely spring a leak and I'd drown. :alcohol:

I'm over 2009 - roll on 2010

All cleaned and packed and posted yesterday (thanks to my son)

All cars are in very good working order ready to race

Not a fractured shoulder but have the torn ligament right down the middle leaving the shoulder unstable (somewhat like the chair i fell off of <_< ). To make matters worse sunday the cat jumped on the crook shoulder, I jumped in the air and ripped two stitches from the week befores op whilst the cat needing something to grab to stop it falling to the floor thought my nose was a good thing to use. So I now have a lovely claw mark across my forehead and down the complete length of my nose :P .

SWMBO again laughed herself silly when she saw the cats handy work

All cleaned and packed and posted yesterday (thanks to my son)

All cars are in very good working order ready to race

Not a fractured shoulder but have the torn ligament right down the middle leaving the shoulder unstable (somewhat like the chair i fell off of :lol: ). To make matters worse sunday the cat jumped on the crook shoulder, I jumped in the air and ripped two stitches from the week befores op whilst the cat needing something to grab to stop it falling to the floor thought my nose was a good thing to use. So I now have a lovely claw mark across my forehead and down the complete length of my nose :P .

SWMBO again laughed herself silly when she saw the cats handy work

Just as I was reading this post the delivery man worked through the door with a box full of cars, how good is that :huh2:

SCR%20logo.jpg

Just as I was reading this post the delivery man worked through the door with a box full of cars, how good is that ;)

Excellent. I am going to try my best to get there on Saturday. I really want to see the cars that i have read about in the flesh and see if the Zonda is going to hold together for the length of the series. It seems with bits falling off it and screws pulling through posts it might not make it.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Ok Time Trials done heres the results

ESPSIX 5.478

Fangio 5.487

Oswald 5.508

kalbfellp 5.509

Terry Noe 5.513

Sprint 5.545

boss302 5.603

Magoo 5.687

JB 5.689

smallnails 5.763

First corner crash 5.796

Davnic74 5.82

sportsracer 5.845

AASTES 5.876

blue95 5.923

beejay7 5.935

pitlane3 5.989

Dave K 5.997

Dont get to excited about these results as its very cold and wet tonight and most of the cars needed a few laps to worm tyres before I could even start to do some fast laps. My general feeling is that most of the cars are very close in performance and tommorows race will show this.

Cheer

SCR%20logo.jpg

Race Results

Order DRIVER total laps

1 ESPSIX 126.1

2 Sprint 122.6

3 Terry Noe 120.6

4 Oswald 118.8

5 JB 118.8

6 kalbfellp 118.5

7 First corner crash 116.4

8 Magoo 116.3

9 smallnails 115.3

10 boss302 114.8

11 AASTES 114

12 Davnic74 113.6

13 Fangio 112.8

14 sportsracer 109.1

15 blue95 105.1

16 pitlane3 104.5

17 beejay7 104.3

18 Dave K 103.2

Congratulation to ESPSIX your car was Faultless

Thanks to evey one that helped make todays race possible :D

SCR%20logo.jpg

knew my car was a top 10 car!!!.............just needed grip and a bit of race luck!!!

Thanks to all!

To be honest yours was one of the hard luck story's of the round. I just marshalled but your ca rwas really really fast. Suffered from the worst marshalling story in the history of slot racing courtesy of me when i lifted the car out of the way of oncoming cars and dropped the car which then became lodged behind a post and invisible to frantic eyes searching. In truth your car was a fair bit better than its finishing position suggests. Together with Boss 302 car it just semed to have a radar for trouble if there was a deslot or a nerf undeserved these two cars seemed to find them on the day. Just one of those racing things i suppose but Espix car was clearly the class of the field. Mine was a a bit rugged in its power delivery and over braking on the flowing track. It couldn't do better than a 5.5. Espix car pulled a 5.1 and Boss did a 5.3. Sorry for not noticing the others (its the competitor in me). Most cars were around 5.5 to 6.0 second range. I put a stock slot it porsche 956kh (unweighted) on after the race with a good set of ultragrips and did a 5.3 third lap in. ( i wonder about all the time spent tuning sometimes).

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I got the job of driving green lane - first lane the cars started on - its one of the outer lanes.

I had to scribble down some thoughts on the cars while the lane changing was going on and only got 2 or 3 laps to get my controller set up to suit the cars but for what its worth heres some reading for you on your cars performance .

Blue 95

Brakes and power were good and suited the track layout well when the controller was adjusted to suit the car Grip was ok as well.

Aastes

Very nice car , smooth power delivery and good brakes the car flows around the track well and it is a car that is easy to come to terms with quickly

Sportsracer

The car felt like it has more power than it needs even on this flowing style track layout. out of the tighter corners the power needed to be fed on gently to avoid oversliding the car which is where it showed some tyre shudder . Good grip and brakes but hard to come to terms with in the short time we get before the flag drops.

Davnic74

Nice car easy to get used to fast , good power and brakes and grip was good on the Ferrodore surface . The car felt a bit soft on acceleration out of the tight corners compared to some – This could be gearing or weight related? I don’t know the cars stats just now but thats how it felt at the time I was scribbling down my thoughts on the car

First Corner Crash

Nice to drive and fairly easy to get used to in a few controller setting laps . Power , brakes and grip suited the track (local racer) FCC is standing next to me as Im scribbling my thoughts on the car for all to see . Thanks for the $5.00 – Excellent car !

Smallnails

Nice predictable car . power , brakes and grip were good . Easy car to get used quickly and run consistant laps with.

JB

Nice car , felt a little light in the back -first few corners let me know it had to be driven very smoothly to get its best performance (3 laps practise to set the controller) Fast car that does what it should but maybe not as quick to get used to as some of the others. I found that being a little more patient on the corner exits before punching the throttle worked well but applied too early would get the back skipping around a bit

Magoo

Gotta be smooth on the power delivery with this car , its got heaps of power down low in its RPM range and can be put into a slide real quick , had to be patient with it out of the corners then hit the nitrous on the straights , good grip and brakes very well.

Boss 302

Smooth car and a good all rounder re brakes , power and grip . Hangs on real well through the tight esses and gained a lot on its lap times through that section of the track . Its no slouch on the straights either and was easy to get used to quickly.

Sprint

Nice car and easy to get used to – its is lighter than Magoos car which I ran just before this car so it was almost like opposite ends of the scale regarding the two cars weights . Still a forgiving car that went very well on this track . Power suits the car and the brakes are not harsh and locking up the rear end which keeps it fast and flowing smoothly through the corners.

Terry

Nice power and brakes but seems to ride on its flags leading front edge making the car a bit tail happy . Noted after the race was the flag has a sharp square cut leading front edge and a little play in the post hole which lets the flag point down in the slot rather than skiing along nicely . It clicked in the track joins – I can only remember two cars on the day doing that.

Phil K

Not as fast in a straight line as some of the other cars but very smooth and easy to drive and get used to in 2-3 controller set up laps . brakes were a little shy compared to some others as well so ran with full brakes on the controller , Very stable through the esses – not a point a shoot , hard acceleration hard braking car but more of a flowing style car to drive . I assume the acceleration and braking is not as good as some of the others due to the ballast ? Tassie car to coin a phrase so its possibly carrying a fair bit of lead . Easy car to drive and forgiving if it enters a corner a bit too fast , With more laps and track time with this car it could perform better but it took a few extra laps to come to terms with its braking ability , had to brake very early to dust off its straight line speed and then flow it fast through a corner to keep the speed up for the corner exit as it doesn't have the straight line punch that some other cars (motors) have . maybe if it had its rear wing glued on before the race it could have slowed better for the corners B)

Oswald

Quick in a straight line a great brakes but also a bit twitchy because there is a lot of low down power , easy car to get sideways with only a tiny bit of throttle applied early on the corner exit ( on off switch needed) dynamite acceleration . The flag doesn’t self centre so it looses time when it has to be marshalled back into the slot. Unfortunately with three or four deslots over the race , and with the flag not resetting straight probably cost you a couple of laps while a marshal fumbled about getting it back in the slot

Fangio

Nice car a bit low on brakes but a good all rounder grip on the Ferrodore was good , the flag not springing back to point straight forward was also letting this car down when a marshal went to put the car back into the slot.

Espsix

Fantastic car best one of the lot IMHO did everything well and flowed around the track , it stopped well without any sudden power on power off shifting of balance upsetting the car , it zipped through the esses and accelerated quickly . Right up there with manimals car in the non podded group – can’t wait to run it around my track.

DaveK

A little shy on brakes and not enough power on tap to accelerate hard out of the corners so needed to keep it rolling into the corners deep then run hard through the corners to keep the speed up , this made the car a bit nervous and the tyres got a lot of shudder because it was attacking the corners so hard , but it was also hard to over slide out of the corners because the power is a bit low so the throttle could be bought on early and hard . It really just requires a different style of driving compared to some of the other cars perform well . Part of the fun is adapting to the cars – again I would like more than 2-3 laps to get used to the car before actually racing it.

Pitlane3

Sorry to say its a grumbly , rattly car that vibrates its way around the track thats not saying it didn’t go ok , it handled ok and brakes for the corners ok but its low on power . With a bit of attention to the vibrations and rattles it may smooth it out but it could still do with a bit more raw power to get it up and running faster along the straights. I may sound harsh here because the car may have started the proxy in better condition ? (quieter) and on this track which is a track that suits faster higher RPM cars

Beejay

This car goes well but its not happy on the larger radius fast sweeping corners , it doesn’t like to stay in a constant power slide for long before it gets the shudders and wants to straighten out , could be the tyres are not glued to the rim or they have worked loose over the rounds. Even with the twitching about it kept its nose in the slot and drove through the wobbles . Power and brakes are good and the motor suited the tracks longer straights . It was a little nervous in the esses but got through them ok. .

Thanks for all the feed back Steve.
doesn't have the straight line punch

Everyone down here complained that it had too much!

The car wasn't slow at all phil but compared to some of the other long can motored cars it was slower out of the tight corners .

re - The other Tassie lads complianed it had too much !

Are you saying the tassie lads like theirs slow and heavy ? I had a friend that had a cousin that had an uncle that said he new a girl from Hobart like that . :lol:

I think I should stop slinging mud around now - I can't remember just off hand if my car has raced at your place yet. :( :(

Thanks for all the feed back Steve.
doesn't have the straight line punch

Everyone down here complained that it had too much!

HI Phil

I found that with your car that it started my bracket OK but tended to fade of somewhat toward the end of the 3 mins ( 30 to 40 secs from the end) in that it began to be less responsive to the throttle and wasn't exiting corners as quickly as it was early on . My bracket with the car was the third for your car's race. it also became "taily" after this maybe because I was feeding in throttle a bit harder trying to make up for lack of throttle response.

As to the other cars I thought the stand outs were espsix's F40, it was a jet but my fav was Sprints ferrari that was a nicely balanced little car and it put the power down nicely

Cheers Alan

I didn't know Phils car went off pace ? Was the pinion slipping ? or something like that - loose wheel ? spur gear/crown gear ? Will have a look . I have all the cars locked away at my place now I will look at my Friday night Saturday arvo schedule and post up a date for my round ASAP

Were there any other cars that needed a look at ? I assumed everything came through race day in ok condition. Imkouwell said nothing needed fixing and handed me the box

My track is put down for May 3rd but I may get around to running it earlier ?

No problem with an early start is there ?

Group 1 - Fixed chassis

15-Mar-09 Hoffy

5-Apr-09 Imkouwl

3-May-09 BMR

24-May-09 Oswald900

21-Jun-09 Terry

12-Jul-09 Nimrod

9-Aug-09 Datto16

30-Aug-09 John Batich's ( Stratton Valley)

20-Sep-09 boss 302 ( Gotham Park)

11-Oct-09 PK ( Shelmore Park)

Edited by BMR

I didn't know Phils car went off pace ? Was the pinion slipping ? or something like that - loose wheel ? spur gear/crown gear ? Will have a look . I have all the cars locked away at my place now I will look at my Friday night Saturday arvo schedule and post up a date for my round ASAP

Were there any other cars that needed a look at ? I assumed everything came through race day in ok condition. Imkouwell said nothing needed fixing and handed me the box

Hi Steve

It just seemed to loose some performance towards the end of my run with it. I made a comment to Wayne about it after.

I think Kym made a similar comment after his run too. I'm not sure what Jordan thought as he had the car next. I'll ask tomorrow night.

Alan

Might be worth having a look at the cars fastest lap times to see if there was a noticeable drop off. Alan drove it so would no better than me but the car never looked like a real gun gar like Sprints or Espix performance wise (thats just observing). Finished spitting distance from fourth so it would seem there isn't too much wrong with it. The car that really did seem to fade away was Aastes car when it came on it was instantly smooth and noticeably better than the cars on at the same time but as it went through each driver it seemed to get slower with jordan saying it just had no punch at all. Think the motor was hot and maybe one of those foibles that happens to slot car motors that if they get hot they lose there torque a bit?