Datsun 1600 Sss Drag Car

6 replies to this topic

#1 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

I was in a local hobby shop some time ago and found a datsun 1600 plastic kit (east african rally winner version) being a big datto fan & havin owned a few back in the day i brought both the kits with the idea to do one as a nice detailed custom plastic kit & get the other one built up as a drag slot car.

I've never had a drag slot & was working on a guys house once & he had about 20 drag slot cars (lots of old chevys etc) on display. He had never even ran them he just liked the look of them! & i thought yeah i gotta get me a few of them they do look pretty cool...as u do :P

Drag slot car racin is something ive never done either so im also curious to see how it compares to other forms of slot racin.

Annnnnnnyway this is my Datto drag car build thread thought some might be interested to see it.....

The first phase is actually the car's chassis which is now complete & it's up & runnin running & did three shakdown runs last night. Went pretty good, the motor is an old school Mura Super Wasp "Stinger" that was my dads and man it really hums. Drag racin is in thursday so it will get a proper run in then.

All I have to do is paint it up & add decals etc. I've decided on black, but the red does look pretty sexy eh!?

I'll post some more pics as I paint it.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I Miss Brocky...

#2 lu05ke

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Very Slick!! :huh:
I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

#3 datto16

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

I used to run these 1/24th scale drag cars years ago, they are lots of fun.... :P :D

Only thing I would suggest is the body could be lower, it would mean cutting some slots in the rear panel for the wheelie bar supports though...... :huh:

Not much you can do about the guide sticking out the front without modifying the chassis either.... :P

Another thing we used to do too was to use a single support for the wheelie bars mounted off the center of the motor bracket, the other end had a small collar with a set screw in it which allowed you to fine tune the height of the wheelie bars...
"When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

#4 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

Cool thanx for the tips datto!

I was goin to post up & ask just how does one make a drag car quicker?

Tuning on flexi's & SCX/Scaley type cars I know (& has been covered by many on this forum very well) but drag cars I know nothing so any other tips for tuning drag slot cars anyone can share would be appreciated
I Miss Brocky...

#5 GlovemanP510

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

oh dear I can feel datsun envy coming on

I dont care how fast it is - itl ooks awesome so far - i want one

Cheers Gloveman

Edited by GlovemanP510, 26 June 2009 - 08:01 AM.

Posted Image

I rather push my Datto than drive anything else!

#6 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Update: Took it for some runs on thursday, did about 40-50 passes & went pretty good, made the final of DYO class with 10 ppl racin but i slept on the line with a one tenth reaction time :minigun: but overall was stoked to make the final as about #4 qualifier.

I was also in the final in the super 16D DYO class & this time won it, i didnt get any reds all night & everyone else got atleast one, plus I dialed a .7500 in the semi & ran a .7556 so that was cool! All in all a good debut into drags I thought...

The datto run solid all night & ran consistant .7500's (the track is 1/24 - 1/8th mile) with lots of .7200's & .7300's with a best pass of .7000 flat with a slow one tenth reaction again so I know i can get it into the sixes no worries. I wanted to see what the car would do stock so i can tell if mods are working as i go.

Next job is to generally lower the body & see what i can do about the gettin the guide back under the body before it hits the paint shop :D
I Miss Brocky...

#7 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

I'm with you Datto.. looks great!
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread