Slot.it Extractor Press

Vinno

A recent release from Slot.it is the Professional Extractor Press. When I first looked at this I thought, why would I bother, I am happy with the good old Ninco pinion puller. I do admit the Ninco puller has some short comings but at $29.00 for the Ninco why would I bother. That was until I had a look at the Slot.it version at Armchair Racer. Chalk and cheese is the comparison.

slotpull01.jpg

The first thing I noticed is the quality of the build with it's anodized finish and machined parts. There a few parts The shaft has a nicely finished plastic handle that is attached to the shaft via a brass bush. The extractor pin is attached to a brass block that slides along the inside of the extractor body. This brass block serves a couple of functions. There is also a round brass piece which serves to hold those Ninco, Fly, NSR etc Boxer motors where the can end of the shaft does not protrude. The black anodized piece that slots into the Extractor is used for removing pinion gears from motor shafts.

slotpull02.jpg

This picture shows how to remove a pinion gear from a motor shaft. The thickness of the extractor piece of the Puller is 0.7mm which means you can remove a pinion from a motor when it is almost hard up against the motor body. The stationary pin in the brass block means no more burred extractor shafts as it pushes the motor shaft through the gear.

slotpull03.jpg

Here the pinion gear is being pressed onto the motor shaft. The motor bell end locates in a hole in the round brass piece on the bottom of the extractor and the pinion gear sits inside the brass block. The sliding block has a hole through it so the motor shaft can slide through. The recess where the gear sits is 7.5mm in diameter but if you where installing a larger pinion gear it would simply be a case of flipping the brass block over.

slotpull04.jpg

When installing a pinion gear to a Ninco style boxer motor the round brass piece in the bottom of the press is designed to support the end case of the motor evenly so that it is not damaged. The case can be damaged when installing a pinion gear to a Boxer motor if you are not careful so the Slot.it Press should alleviate this issue.

In conclusion, the Slot.it Extractor Press is good value when compared to the competition, even at $79.00. It is a high quality precision tool that will last many years and can be repaired with replacement parts. At the $69.00 introductory price it is even better value and I will be returning this test version and buying my own this coming week. The value equation is of course relative to what you are willing to spend but for me it does the trick. No more grinding down the pin of the Ninco press for me.

Was going to buy our 1st press about 3 weeks ago,

then seen the Slot It one on the net & decided to wait.

Got it last Thursday, can't compare it to any other brand

but the way its been designed, it's a great tool to use.

Regards

Mario

Signaturebanner_zpsbb5af1d4.jpg

Picked one up th eother day, what a great piece of kit! Fantastically made and extremely easy to use. I was contemplating a MB Slot version but was put off by its seemingly over complicated design, am glad that I waited for the Slot.It!

"Brakes? they are the enemy of speed" Juha Kankunen

Martini Racing

Cars For Sale

• 2 weeks later...

Picked one of these up last week, finally got around to using it.

Works very well, but a little fiddly to wind it from "extractor" mode, to "press" mode, and back, so i made a little mod.

P7130093.jpg

Just popped the little white plug out of the handle, filled it with resin, when it set i drilled a hole through it and screwed in a scaley "thingo" that holds the cars to the base of the cases they come in, pushed it back into the handle, and now it's much quicker winding it in and out when changing modes. :alcohol:

Edited by espsix

• 1 year later...

Longevitity???

Now that people have had a chance to use them for a while how they holding up mechanical wise. I was very disappointed when my ratchet grubscrew driver failed after a comparatively short time despite me heeding warning about being careful with its use.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Longevitity???

Now that people have had a chance to use them for a while how they holding up mechanical wise. I was very disappointed when my ratchet grubscrew driver failed after a comparatively short time despite me heeding warning about being careful with its use.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

I'm on to my second slotit ratchet driver, the next one will be a slotting plus!

As for the slotit extractor press, the one problem it has is that 12 tooth pinions don't fit where they should when using it as a press, the new upgraded brass part can't be purchased as a spare, so you either live with it or buy a whole new extractor press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

...............Take it easy

• 5 months later...

I have the MB Slot pinion press and puller, and I'm very happy with them, especially the puller. I found them a little hard to source here in Adelaide, so I ended up getting them from different suppliers. Pendle Slots had the puller, and Armchair Racer had the press. Both got them to me very quickly and for a good price. You just need to be careful how you put the press together, as the instructions aren't very clear. Here's a page where I found a photo of someone using the press, that helped. You also need the correct allen key to tighten the 'handle' on the puller - it's not supplied in the box.

Here's the photo from that article:

HPIM1767.jpg

BTW, my press isn't this black colour. Not sure if it's the photo or if they have been made in different colours, one with anodising the other without?

Edited by Burglar
ff48s6.jpg

• 1 year later...

This accessory is now available. The SP30 accessory for the pinion tool, enables insertion of pinions on side-winder and angle-winder cars while the motor is mounted in the pod. This will be particularly useful now that we have increasing numbers of Slot.it LMP and GT angle-winder cars and Sideways angle-winder cars in circulation.

sp30.jpg

sp30-1.jpg

sp30-2.jpg

sp30-3.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The insertion accessories above it are new items. - code SP30

The extractor code is SP31, they've been around for a year or so.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: